1.    #1  
    I've been a lurker here for some time. Kudos to the vast amount of info on such a new device. Nce job!

My screen started cracking the other day around the mouthpiece. My theory is because that's where I put my thumb to slide open the keyboard.

I've been on the fence about the Pre for the past couple weeks. I missed my Treo's workhorse capabilites and especially the one-touch for e-mails and texting. I sort of wanted to return the device anyway and go back to the Treo and I went to the Sprint store to do so. The store would not replace the device, as they said I abused it causing scratches on the screen and the cracks. They directed me to the insurance.

BTW, I'm 39 years old and I'm careful with my stuff. No abuse that my Treo hasn't laughed off. I love Palm OS and I think it has a bright future....I just think the Pre's build quality is lacking.

Anyway, I called Sprit Business and patiently and nicely told the rep my problem. The guy in support has read the forums and acknowledges the reports of problems out there, but Sprint will not "officially" recognized the issue. He ended up passing me along to customer care who, after I explained the situation again......and I'd been on the phone with them for 40 minutes.......agreed to credit the $100 deductible the insurance would charge.

My first choice is to just allow me to return the phone, but short of that, I thought it was a reasonable gesture. I didn't know how forceful to be, as I enjoy gee-wiz stuff about the phone, but I do miss that one-touch functionality.

Thought I would share, as I know there are plenty of others out there with pretty designs in their screens knows as CRACKS!

Kevin
    Omaha
    One thing to think about that might make you fight just a little for non-insurance replacement. There was a limit in number of devices in a certain time frame that are allowed before you are ineligible. This will use one up. But it might be your only option.
    I wouldn't call this Sprint "steps up." It's clear to anyone with half a brain that some of these screens are defective. If Sprint (and Palm) were going to "step up" they'd take these defective phones back without question.

Can you still cancel now that you've gotten and insuranance replacement? What will Sprint do if the second one cracks, too? All I can say is I'm glad I didn't rush right out and buy one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    All I can say is I'm glad I didn't rush right out and buy one.
    You are missing out then. I'm glad I did.
  5.    #5  
    Can you still cancel now that you've gotten and insuranance replacement? What will Sprint do if the second one cracks, too?
    That was my response to them, as well, but that's when they offered to cover the deductible. I still think it's a great device, but you were probably smart to wait until they've gotten the quality up to par.
    Wow, so Sprint claims you abused it by opening it with your thumb? I typically open my Pre with my thumb just above the gesture area to turn it on, answer/make calls or get on the net.

I rarely use the on/off switch on the top.

My screen has no cracks or scratches in it.

Purchased it on launch day.....

I wouldn't call this Sprint "steps up." It's clear to anyone with half a brain that some of these screens are defective. If Sprint (and Palm) were going to "step up" they'd take these defective phones back without question.

Can you still cancel now that you've gotten and insuranance replacement? What will Sprint do if the second one cracks, too? All I can say is I'm glad I didn't rush right out and buy one.
    he can not return the pre as his 30-days applies to the device he purchased from sprint and not his replacement pre.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Wow, so Sprint claims you abused it by opening it with your thumb? I typically open my Pre with my thumb just above the gesture area to turn it on, answer/make calls or get on the net.

I rarely use the on/off switch on the top.

My screen has no cracks or scratches in it.

Purchased it on launch day.....

I purchased my on launch day, too. I don't know if my pressing too hard with my thumb caused the small cracks, but it's awfully coincidental that's where they started to appear.

I'm having a weird problem that no one on this board seems to be having.....which is that I'm using EAS and I have about 35 contact phone #'s and e-mail addresses that get clumped into a random contacts information. It's a long-shot but I'm hoping a new Pre might fix the problem, as neither a hard reset, nor deleting that one contact has fixed the problem.

If anyone has ANY suggestions or ideas.....I'm all ears.