View Poll Results: how many times has your pre frozen on you?

Voters
300. You may not vote on this poll
  • freeze? never!

167 55.67%
  • once

48 16.00%
  • 2-3

30 10.00%
  • 4-5

10 3.33%
  • 6-1

5 1.67%
  • 8+

40 13.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    curious to see if others are having experiences similar to mine
    in the last almost 3 weeks of ownership iv had mine completely freeze about 6 times
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Another thread just like this out there.

Started by you also apparently lol.
  3. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    Another thread just like this out there.

Started by you also apparently lol.
    yep ****ed up the first one courtesy of my hangover ahaha
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    I have never had mine freeze on me. I forgot that was even an issue and it's a launch day pre. I remember being worried after watching the live cam question extravaganza where Dieter's pre froze once or twice. Is it during the youtube app when it freezes? I never use the youtube app so maybe that is the reason why.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Palm OS for me was always the quickest smartphone OS I used, but it was also the least stable. My old Treo 650 would crash all the time, as did my Visor before that, my Palm V before that, and my Palm III before that. Before NVFS, it would take all my data with it every time.

So far WebOS appears to have the stability of Windows Mobile (which is crappy in almost every way except that it is stable as a rock), reasonable speed, and amazing UI.

Not a single crash or freeze yet.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    Lol.
    At least when the Pre freezes you don't have to pull out the battery, like on PalmOS. It resets itself after a little while. In my experience, at least.
    Mine hasn't froze but it has been sluggish a time or two....
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    Your hangover is still getting the best of you. One of the choices is 6 -1 times.
    One of the candidates for causing instability is Classic, as it's really in an alpha or beta state and has access to lower level system functions. I wonder what the correlation is between Classic use and freezes?
    My GPS stops working from time to time and I have to do a soft reset to get it working again, but my phone has yet to crash on me.
    So far, my Pre has never froze. It did at times get very sluggish, but a soft reset fixed that. And that only happened once or twice. So far so good!
    Mine just froze for the first time on me while I was starting the camera app I had to remove battery to get it all working again
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I had my Pre reset itself once while browsing the web, and I've had to reset it once because it was acting flaky. (certain apps just wouldn't launch at all) Both of those situations happened while using the 1.02 firmware. My Pre has never locked up though.
    Doesn't really freeze ever but the web browser will occasionally get into a mode where it can't do anything but show a white empty screen until I reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by readams View Post
    Doesn't really freeze ever but the web browser will occasionally get into a mode where it can't do anything but show a white empty screen until I reboot.
    I have read about this issue over and over on this forum, and so far [knock on wood] I've never had it happen.

Also, I've never had any crash at all. I must be one of the lucky few, I purchased mine on launch day, and have a perfect screen, decent battery life (read: ~5%/hour on medium usage), and only a little wiggle in the slide, and as this is my first slider, it feels like it's supposed to do that. If it was any tighter I would be afraid to open it.

Also, someone posted that WinMo was stable as a rock. I came from the Q9C, and got the 6.1 update the day it was available. And the last thing I'd call it is stable. In fact, when I gave it to my sister after getting the Pre, I warned her about how it may be WindowsMobile, but it's still Windows, with all the hangs, and crashes, and sluggishness of any Windows OS...dating back to 3.1, though IMO Win3.1 was the most stable.
    I have been having spurious web browser issues where the bottom half of web pages would be covered by some white strip, almost like a rendering error, so I can't get to a web pages navigation, for example on most mobile sites, where they put them at the bottom of the page. I also get strange issues every so often with the picture viewer where images would shift to the top or bottom of the display almost like they slid off their "rails" . This has been happening on and off since 1.0.3
    I was able to get my Palm Pre to freeze up (and complain I had too many cards open, even though I only had 1) by going to the main Facebook page, and playing Mafia Wars for about 10 mins. I do know that the javascript in that game is not the best, and even eats a lot of memory on my PC running FF.

One other time I didn't have a lockup per say, but my Palm Pre was just "off". Holding power turned it back on.
    my pre has been freezing a lot lately, more now than when i first got it, maybe overheating? maybe one of the updates?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Glad to see the poll for a count on the number of times users have experienced a freeze of the Pre indicates it doesn't happen very often, because mine froze beyond help, less than 24 hours out from purchase at the Sprint store.

Hard "reset" required battery removal, but the frozen state was still persistent: When the battery was replaced, it would boot right back to a frozen screen, displaying the default background and the app buttons in the GUI along the bottom of the screen. The Sprint store replaced it after re-doing the battery removal and replacement sequence with no better results.

Fwiw, with the first phone, I'd just completed the update to WebOS 1.1, had used it a couple hours, then toggled the ring/vibrate switch (maybe while an app was launching), when the screen froze permanently into its home state. I found no way out of it, nor did the Sprint sales guy at the store.

All that said, I can say I love what the Pre is supposed to do when it is doing it, and I hope the replacement unit will work better than the first. Again, I'm reassured here by the rarity of reports of incidents when the Pre suffered a system freeze -- much less one like that I experienced today when the problem compelled Sprint to replace the phone (which Sprint did do, immediately, no problems).

With the Pre, I'm hoping to find a phone that's reliable, can replace my Palm TX, and allow me to keep my Lenovo X-200t powered down and put away most of the time when I'm out and about.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast