1.    #1  
    What is it and why does it need its own mode?

I just drove by a local Hotel on my way to argue with Wendy's over their **** up night crew and I saw a car in the parking lot of the Rochester Institute of Tech on fire with no one around. As I pulled into the parking lot to call 911 it I heard it blow out the windows!!! YIKES!
    I dialed 911 but not in the phone app and universal search did not give me an option to dial....kinda lame but when I finally got the phone app open and after relaying the info to the 911 operator I hung up. A few min's later after the Fire trucks arrived I went back into my call and opened up pandora...there I noticed my phone was in Emergency Mode and I had only 2 options Emergency and exit emergency mode....whats that about?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Emergency mode is pretty standard for all phones. It makes it easier to re-dial 911, limits you from making any other calls while in that mode, should give you much easier access to your own phone number, etc.

At least, this was the case on the HTC TP. Never dialed 911 on the pre yet.
    I think that's actually pretty cool. Think about it. If you have an emergency and call 911, and hang up (accidentally or on purpose), and your emergency is still valid, you don't want to have to think. You just want to hit a button and get back to 911.

Makes perfect sense to me.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  4.    #4  
    Wow, I guess that is the first time I have dialed 911 since I started buying smartphones 5yrs ago and must have never needed to dial 911. It actually is a good idea. Just must have missed it in the manual...

5. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Does E-M turn on GPS?
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I think it's a law of some sort to have the "Emergency Modes".
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    I think it's a law of some sort to have the "Emergency Modes".
    Hmm. Must be a pretty recent law, as I called 911 from my Treo 755p earlier this year when I saw a car spin out and hit the middle retaining wall on the expressway. I never was presented with an Emergency Mode...
    As a firefighter, I can say that cell phone callers are the worst, they never where they are or what direction they are going. Location services for cell phones will only locate to the closest cell tower. At least in Seattle/King County.

Dispatched to the same car accident several times, even after we have all ready been there and state patrol has cleared the scene.

Please report responsibly. :-)
    maybe the pre can send a signal that its in emergency mode????? help locate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    As a firefighter, I can say that cell phone callers are the worst, they never where they are or what direction they are going. Location services for cell phones will only locate to the closest cell tower. At least in Seattle/King County.

Dispatched to the same car accident several times, even after we have all ready been there and state patrol has cleared the scene.

Please report responsibly. :-)
    Then your county needs to upgrade their E911 capabilities. EVERY major city should have the ability to pinpoint a cell caller by now.
    you would think, but we are talking about government. Please read this article:

snopes.com: Cell Phone Location Feature

Locating 911 Cell Phone Calls Still Hit-And-Miss

Dispatchers do not have the ability to "pinpoint" you, at best it gives a general location.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 06/29/2009 at 02:47 PM.
    Emergency Mode got me my first Treo. I had a Kyocera 7135 die on my. Verizon was going to reactivate a replacement, but the computer wouldn't let them at the time. The 7135 could not relay position information and do 911 mode. So it wasn't allowed to be newly activated on the network. I was "forced" to do a $50 insurance claim to upgrade to a Treo 600.
    I am guessing you hit the "exit emergency mode" button. I wonder what happens when you hit the other button? Is there another way to exit emergency mode or does it just prompt you again? It was a pain on the 800w because to be able to make normal calls after entering emergency mode you had to go into your registry and delete two registry files to make any other calls. I can't imagine this being the case on the Pre but Palm has "surprised" me before.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I am guessing you hit the "exit emergency mode" button. I wonder what happens when you hit the other button? Is there another way to exit emergency mode or does it just prompt you again? It was a pain on the 800w because to be able to make normal calls after entering emergency mode you had to go into your registry and delete two registry files to make any other calls. I can't imagine this being the case on the Pre but Palm has "surprised" me before.
    I'd assume it would dial 911 again if i hit the emergency button

Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I'd assume it would dial 911 again if i hit the emergency button
    Hmm......kind of makes sense. I bet that's it. I won't ask you to try it again.