Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Yeah, I know it's a sensationalistic headline, but considering the article then it seems to be pretty accurate. Regardless of what minor/major issues we have with our Pre, when it comes to overall cost in a 2yr contract then no matter how you spin it, Sprint is BY FAR the best value.

BGR: Comparing Apples to Apples: Tow Year Smartphone Cost Examined

The Bogus BGR Results in Price Comparison

T-Mobile G1
    Handset: $149.99
    Monthly cost: $39.99 voice plan (300 minutes, $34.99 unlimited Web/email/data/SMS/MMS)
    $74.98/month — $1,799.52 over 2 years + $149.99 for the phone
    Total: $1,949.51

Sprint, Palm Pre
    Handset: $199.99 (after $100 rebate)
    Monthly cost: $69.99 Everything Data Plan (450 minutes, unlimited Web/email/data/SMS/MMS)
    $69.99/month — $1,679.76 over 2 years + $199.99 for the phone
    Total: $1,897.75 (after $100 mail-in rebate)

AT&T, Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB
    Handset : $199
    Activation fee: $36
    Monthly cost: $39.99 Nation 450 w/Rollover (450 minutes, $30 unlimited Web/email/data)
    $69.99/month — $1,679.76 over 2 years + $235 for the phone plus activation.
    Total: $1,914.76 (excludes SMS/MMS, starting at $5/month)

Clearly BGR wrote this article in reverse because if you look purely at the "Total Cost" then they are very similar. But they completely omit the REQUIRED cost of SMS for the iPhone ($120-480/2yr), and made no reference to the cost of GPS that we get for free.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    BTW, here's the chart that the BGR article is responding to. Even though not everyone needs Unlimited, it is more realistic as to the price differences:

(Created by BillShrink.com)
    Sprint is nice when you have everyone on data plasn. Most of the US aren't there YET so the actual benefit is reduced substantially. Also when you add in AT&T's unity or verizons same deal the water is further muddied.

Sprint's deal is clearly not the best for everyone or even most people.
    Sprint is nice when you have everyone on data plasn. Most of the US aren't there YET so the actual benefit is reduced substantially. Also when you add in AT&T's unity or verizons same deal the water is further muddied.

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

This thread is obviously about comparing plans for smartphones....all of the carriers require data plans for smartphones...so you're point, while valid, isn't really on point here.
    BGR's point was picking the cheapest plan available for the given device. This is not trying to get apples top apples minutes etc... It's trying to get at the cheapest plan available that anyone can get and it's a valid model. If you could get a Pre with SERo for example, then Sprint would have won that comparison.

Many people do not need a simply everything plan, and so other devices are cheaper with that perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    BGR's point was picking the cheapest plan available for the given device. This is not trying to get apples top apples minutes etc... It's trying to get at the cheapest plan available that anyone can get and it's a valid model. If you could get a Pre with SERo for example, then Sprint would have won that comparison.

Many people do not need a simply everything plan, and so other devices are cheaper with that perspective.
    Even as biased as it was (no texting on iphone) sprint still wins.

I've been a sprint customer since I had a pager in '94.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

it is the best for anyone who texts or checks their email on a smart phone, period. In only a very rare case on a family plan is AT&T slightly less expensive than sprint. Anyone who owns a Blackberry, iPhone or pre texts, and checks their email on their phone.
    I think it was fair considering all of the very biased advertising Sprint has released with their pricing for everything plans only. Notice they haven't shown any comparisons for plans with less minutes, etc.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    I think it was fair considering all of the very biased advertising Sprint has released with their pricing for everything plans only. Notice they haven't shown any comparisons for plans with less minutes, etc.

The difference is one is published by BGR and the other is an advertisement for Sprint. Am I missing something?
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    I thought turn-by-turn cost extra on the iPhone. No?
    Well, I will repost this for BGR lame ***..

This is why I love Sprint! I switched from an iPhone's to the Pre's, and cost/service wise couldn't be happier.

In my position, with the 25% discount and two Pre's, it saves me almost $100 per month when compared to AT&T and two iPhones.

AT&T 3000 minutes with two iPhones and unlimited TXT 240 Per Month. - 7% = 223.30!

Sprint 3000 Minutes with two Pre's and unlimited TXT/Data 169 Per Month - 25% = 126.75!!!

So thats 223.30 - 126.75 = 96.55 savings per month!

Granted, I was only eligible for 7% off my AT&T bill. Still, without discounts, AT&T is $70 Frickin' dollars per month more!

How bout them ankles BGR?!!!