Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Team,

The longer I have this Pre, the more I realize that this wonderful device is a long-term contender.

A bit about me:
    1. I've been a Palm man since 1996, never looked back... and most recently came from a Centro.

2. I've been an Apple Mac man since 1986, never looked back, been there through the hard times (90s ugh!) when Macs were pooped on by everybody...

3. I've been an iPhone luster from afar but a few things had kept me from pulling the trigger; namely, the lack of serach, cut/copy/paste and the lack of epocrates medical software (Note: I realize that ALL of these have now been addressed with gusto, but I heard that a new Palm was coming before I knew that apple was going to address all this...). The other big thing is that, unlike SO many who post here, I'm a fan of Sprint. They have taken care of me for over 10 years and while there are times when I think about leaving, it always seems that they improve each year with reception and service so I've never had to follow through. Also: Sprint is CHEAP! People don't seem to get it, but we're talking THOUSANDS of dollars per year to get at least comparable service in most places to "better" telcos.

Okay, let's get to the point of this post. 1) I wanted to point out that long term cost savings again and direct folks to a Wired article that highlights this:
    Wired’s Smart Guide: Know Your Smartphones | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Very cool and shows that over 2 years, one can save $1400 by using a Sprint over AT&T. Hey, for many Sprint-haters it's well worth it and I'm not arguing that, but I just want to make sure that it is on the table. It is a legit long-term issue that makes the Pre that much more desirable than the iPhone.

The second issue (2) is the app store. I admit that I lust for some iPhone apps and can hardly wait until (gulp! I hope and pray!) we get something similar. Truth be told, I doubt we'll ever have the same number of apps since the Pre is unlikely to ever be as "big" as the iPhone... but here's my point: that's okay. It's been said a lot, but I've recently studied the apps on a few friends' phones and, while many are super cool (the better version of Evernote, Shazam, Bento, jott, Keynote Remote, and of course, Epocrates for medical stuff), many are sort of goofy toys/games/novelties which are cool and fun (and I do want them too, mind you!) but not necessary to make the device really good. What's more is that many of the "Top 10 iPhone Apps" lists I've been reviewing have things that we already have! Yelp, Twitter clients, Weather, Amazon, NYTimes, Evernote, Pandora are all mentioned on many of these lists! So we're kind of already there, at least for raw functionality, or soon will be as the "big dog" apps come out for Pre sooner or later. So iPhone wins here, no doubt, but I guess what I'm saying is I'm okay with that, this is not the deal breaker for me.

3) The last point is that Palm has done something kind of amazing with the Pre: they have made it a true vessel for our digital life rather than an "ecosystem" like Apple has done with the Macintosh. There are pluses and minuses to this (and remember, I'm a Mac fan), but the most powerful thing is that it really gives us CHOICE. Because all my contacts are on google, and my calendar is on google and my notes are on Evernote... well, I could walk down the street to the Apple Store, buy a 3GS RIGHT NOW and be up and running in no time flat! There would scarcely be an hour of downtime for me! It's such a liberating, empowering feeling; in the older days, it was a scary thought to have to "upgrade" or "cross-platforms" because you worried about how things would "port", what would be lost, and how many hours it would take to get everything just right (for me, it used to be a weekend of a few late, late nights to make it just right). But now, I'm essentially in the cloud already and need only to push a button and could switch.

That's empowerment. And, frankly, it's a testament to the power of Web OS and Palm. Because, despite this ability, I don't WANT TO GO. I love the Pre and am so excited about it! It's quick, and beautiful and surfs the web amazingly, and organizes my contacts beautifully, and manages my calendar(s) perfectly! It takes great photos and lets me email them instantly while streaming Pandora in the background! It LETS ME MULTITASK!! You guys, we can start an email, switch over to change the music, look up that fact on Wiki again, go back to the open email, check a sticky note, review a calendar event and then send the email! It's like having a computer in your hand! THAT is revolutionary, I think.

In sum, I think that the Pre has three important issues for the long term for all of us to consider:
    1) Long term cost savings is significant and a wonderful bonus for using this great phone.

2) The lack of apps is a hindrance and clearly a win for the iPhone and other smart phones, but in the big picture, it's the one thing that I'd most willingly give up; we've seen that we DO have a handful of the most critical apps and the rest should be coming soon. For the 40,000+ others, I'm okay without them... for now.

3) Most importantly, Palm has given us freedom to choose. If you don't like it, it's EASIER THAN EVER to switch and I think that it keeps ALL of us honest. Us the consumers, because we don't have to feel locked into a proprietary system (beyond the expensive contract issues, of course, but data-wise we're free), and for Palm as a company since folks can very easily switch devices if they are not innovating or supporting as they should.

What a great time to be alive, what a great time to be a Smart Phone user, what a great time to have a Pre!
    Agreed!
    Applauds
    I agree with the first sentence: "a long term contender." Unfortunately, for me, a contender is all it is. It needs a lot of work before it reaches the championship bout. I sure do hope it gets there, though.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    This is a really nice post.

I've been lurking here since I got my Pre last week, but this made me want to join!

There is a lot of polar opinions here!

Hey plio, what do you think of all the problems with the hardware? I'm just curious...
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slidah View Post
    This is a really nice post.

I've been lurking here since I got my Pre last week, but this made me want to join!

There is a lot of polar opinions here!

Hey plio, what do you think of all the problems with the hardware? I'm just curious...
    Thanks! Yes, I wanted to put a little bit more of a balanced voice out there; I think that there are probably a lot of folks like me, but it's just less "sensational" so there are fewer posts like this...

As for the hardware issues, it's hard to know. Many folks will talk about 1-10% problem rates with new hardware; I keep thinking about the poor XBox 360's woes... more than 10% Yikes!

So it's hard to say. But I was in the elevator today with a lady with a white 3GS iphone and I peeked over the her shoulder to see what she was doing... and the screen was all cracked! It still seemed to work fine, but what a shocker to see that. Poor thing! I thought to myself, well, it's not ONLY the Pre that gets cracked... hmmm...
    Great post! I agree with pretty much everything you said except for some of your comments regarding app quantity.

One thing people often seem to forget is that the Pre doesn't only represent the birth of a new phone, but also that of a new platform, WebOS. While the Pre itself may never outsell the iPhone, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were more WebOS phones than iPhones being sold within three years time(even if the odds of that are low), or if at least WebOS became a top3 platform. What is great about this is that unlike Apple so far, Palm will actually be releasing this great operating system onto different hardware on different carriers! The pre has an arguably more powerful/better operating system than the iPhones in terms of potential, which will be expanded onto other models. I am quite sure the apps will come flooding in once the full SDK is made public, because there is more than one phone and carrier to saturate with apps.

I'm very excited for the future of the Pre and WebOS, especially since palm has been listening to the community so muxh.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by napilopez View Post
    Great post! I agree with pretty much everything you said except for some of your comments regarding app quantity.

One thing people often seem to forget is that the Pre doesn't only represent the birth of a new phone, but also that of a new platform, WebOS. While the Pre itself may never outsell the iPhone, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were more WebOS phones than iPhones being sold within three years time(even if the odds of that are low), or if at least WebOS became a top3 platform. What is great about this is that unlike Apple so far, Palm will actually be releasing this great operating system onto different hardware on different carriers! The pre has an arguably more powerful/better operating system than the iPhones in terms of potential, which will be expanded onto other models. I am quite sure the apps will come flooding in once the full SDK is made public, because there is more than one phone and carrier to saturate with apps.

I'm very excited for the future of the Pre and WebOS, especially since palm has been listening to the community so muxh.
    napilopez, this is a great point and I totally agree! That is a critical point about Palm, the Web OS and even the Pre itself: unlike Apple, they are all going to be on different platforms/phones/carriers! This means that it could be a very different business model, especially if something like the Eos/Pixie comes out at a low price point and appeals to a different demographic but retains Web OS' functionality... Very neat indeed!
    Thanks for the post.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Just wanted to point out an OUTSTANDING article/review of the Pre on Ars Technica, lots of great points discussed here, very much in line with this thread:

Ars reviews the Palm Pre, part 2: the webOS experience - Ars Technica
    great article on ars.

the web os will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming months. just think of it this way: iphone 1st gen is to 3GS as web os of today will be to web os in just 2 years!

even if verizon gets an upgraded version (a pre 2.0, so to speak) that's okay; it will trickle back down to sprint and tho we had to "beta test", at least we've had it now instead of having to wait... plus it's cool to be on the cutting edge; that's where all the most interesting things happen!