Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Another change: I had customized my bootup screen to include Tux along with the Palm logo glowing during boot. Now the images are both replaced with the default. Will try to set it back via root access now.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrot View Post
    Here's a definite fix/update:

Reviewing a picture from the camera app is a little bit speedier. Prior to 1.04, when you click the photo icon in the camera app (i.e. to see the picture you just took), the screen would first switch to the photo selection screen (i.e. with "All pictures", "Camera Roll", and whatever other albums you have) and would then switch to your photo. This was a little confusing since it was a bit laggy and many people thought you had to actually tap "Camera roll" (you didn't, it would go there automatically).

Now you'll notice it goes straight from the live-view camera to the photo, perhaps a bit more quickly.
    Aww nuts... mine still goes to the photo app, hangs for 2~ seconds, then displays the new picture. Wonder why the behavior differs between my phone and yours... maybe the number of photos stored on the camera? I have the 'nekkid and semi-nekkid' wallpaper pack posted elsewhere on these forums and almost wonder if those 450+ boob pics are bogging things down. I'd delete them to test the theory... but... that would involve deleting them. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    That's a silly way to look at it. The point of the prompt is to let you know you're installing an application, and give you the option to cancel. under your logic, we should never allow people to install applications.

People may not be the smartest when it comes to technology, but the answer isn't to take options/freedoms away from them. It comes down to a question of security vs. freedom. I would highly recommend reading the introductory chapter to "The future of the internet and how to stop it" which can be downloaded for free here: Download :: The Future of the Internet And How to Stop It

If you really feel like you'd rather have security than freedom, then the iPhone is the right phone for you.
    As an IT professional, I know better when it comes to what people will and will not do in front of a computer. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to install applications. That's not the point (and you know it). I'm saying that it is a poor practice (and dangerous) to allow applications to be installed by simply clicking a link in an e-mail.

It's quite a different thing if you go to a website and click a link to download and install an application. You chose to go there and chose to download something. E-mail can come to you unsolicited...and often in a form that leads people to think it came from someone they know (and trust). It's quite a different scenario that gets ugly quite fast.

I value my freedoms as much as the next person, but don't get it twisted. I wouldn't advocate a lawless society. Everything has limits (and should). I think we can agree to disagree on what those limits should be when it comes to application install methods. The rest, I won't debate with you because personal liberties are just that: Personal. What works for you may not for me and vice-versa.

And for the record, I wouldn't take an iPhone if it was given to me for free because I value the ability to install what I want on MY phone WITHOUT having to jail-break it. Don't presume to know what phone is right for me or anyone else.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    LOL @ the update. Installed. Had perfect EV signal and now I have perfect Roaming signal. Nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    LOL @ the update. Installed. Had perfect EV signal and now I have perfect Roaming signal. Nice.
    seriously?

an software update can do that?
    I'm sure the security update changed your reception...
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I'm sure the security update changed your reception...
    Love my Pre. Love Sprint. Ask anyone. 1.0.4 also updated your PRL. It just means that perhaps Verizon has better service in my cubicle so my phone went there instead.

In no way do I blame Sprint/Palm for this.

It is actually a good thing that the PRL changed becaus that just means better service when off the Sprint grid. It was just funny that it happened right after the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by trucanes99 View Post
    seriously?

an software update can do that?
    Yep. PRL update.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    I'm saying that it is a poor practice (and dangerous) to allow applications to be installed by simply clicking a link in an e-mail.
    How was it really different than in Windows Mobile with an emailed link to a *.cab file, or in PalmOs, with an emailed link to a *.prc file, or in any J2ME phone (BB included), with an emailed link to a *.jad file? Those platforms tended to have a confirmation box-- is that what's prevented the spread of malware to those platforms? If so, that seems like a easier, less draconian flix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    It's quite a different thing if you go to a website and click a link to download and install an application. You chose to go there and chose to download something. E-mail can come to you unsolicited...and often in a form that leads people to think it came from someone they know (and trust). It's quite a different scenario that gets ugly quite fast.
    What if someone just emails you a link from a website. I fail to see the difference between email link installing and website link installing...

Perhaps if the ipk is put on the pre via USB, then installed that would require intent and no longer be a security issue. Is it possible to create a link to the USB accessible filesystem on the pre (/home/install.ipk) and email it?
    Last edited by Guish; 06/29/2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Thought on homebrew install...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbid View Post
    ...considering most people are below average intelligence anyways. .
    Actually, only half are.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Actually, only half are.
    Actually, that would only be true if you were talking about the median, not the average.
    Last edited by oddlou; 06/29/2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: ...Idiot is me.
    Yep. PRL update.
    Mine was 60652 w/1.03 and is still 60652 w/1.04
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    You can always switch to Sprint only in your phone preferences. Go to the dialer and in the dropdown menu hit Preferences, on Voice Network you can select Sprint only, data roaming is disabled by default as well. Apparently Sprint store employees can also make roaming preference changes as well.
    From the last Homebrew App I installed via email -
    Me alegro de que he instalado de traductor antes de actualizar 1.0.4
    Quote Originally Posted by downhere View Post
    so basically palm is telling us to go do something bad to our mothers with this patch? looks like "closing the security holes" is just the next step in palm becoming another apple. i know that all sounds like some harsh words, but i know they keep track of these forums and hope some harsh rhetoric might be taken to heart. i really hope they delete this update really fast. this update does nothing for the average user, only to those who use exploits (which is a very very small portions of the pre users).

Again, just a very bad move by palm.
    I just can't agree with this statement.. Not meaning to offend anyone, but as someone said earlier, what if someone just sends a malicious email to anyone with a Pre?? The phone would be ruined, or worse, personal stuff on the phone would be up for grabs..

I am all for getting homebrew apps, but lets face it, not everyone in the world is as honest and good natured as us PRECENTRAL guys!!
    Actually, that would only be true if you were talking about the mean, not the average.
    I think you will find Average and Mean are for all intents and purposes identical when you have a pool of six billion.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Just to clear the air. The security issue i found had nothing to do with the email loophole to add packages. Just want people to know.

-tharris
    Actually, that would only be true if you were talking about the mean, not the average.
    You mean the median. "Average" generally refers to the arithmetic mean, so in common usage "mean" means "average." Median is the point where half fall above and half fall below.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    Mine was 60652 w/1.03 and is still 60652 w/1.04
    Mine is 60652 as well, but I am pretty sure it did change from previous 60650. I usually do not update the PRL unless I am going somewhere I don't normally go. All things considered, I have not had any issues with Sprint/Palm ever, and I still don't. I was just pointing out the fun of updating and then losing EV-DO.

By the way, service is back to EV-DO. Fun cubicle lined with Pre kryptonite.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast