Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    It wasn't to kill "Homebrew" apps. It was to kill loading apps via e-mail (a major security hole). Can you imagine what would have happened if a malicious coder had sent out an e-mail with a dangerous link?

You gotta look at the big picture.
    Agreed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbeutler View Post
    Why is anyone excited for this update? I'll be excited when we get something real.

Let's not have the whole "omg everything just feels faster!" placebo effect that we did last time.
    I cosign.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Someone needs to create an "Install an app" app

But yes,fixing the hole was needed, especially since the user got no warning that something was happening.
    so basically palm is telling us to go do something bad to our mothers with this patch? looks like "closing the security holes" is just the next step in palm becoming another apple. i know that all sounds like some harsh words, but i know they keep track of these forums and hope some harsh rhetoric might be taken to heart. i really hope they delete this update really fast. this update does nothing for the average user, only to those who use exploits (which is a very very small portions of the pre users).

Again, just a very bad move by palm.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Yea, it does look like the major purpose of this update was to kill the Malware scene.. I would recommend updating!
    Fixed it for you. Homebrew apps will find a way. Let's hope it's via a more traditional route like adding optional repositories. I'd like to install things in a way so that they get updated as needed along with everything else.

Dependencies will also become an issue moving forward. Let's do things right. Closing the email hole was a good step in that direction.
    Obscura
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusInnomen View Post
    That's ridiculous. It just closed up a security hole that could lead to abuse, Palm's already been pretty open about working with the community. The only real thing slowing down officially distributed software and "homebrew" releases is the fact that Palm's developers are still putting the finishing touches on the SDK.

Patience is a virtue.... and a dying art, it seems.
    Plus, given the large # of files that were updated with 1.04, I'm willing to bet there have been other security fixes too. If it were meant soley to prevent downloading to install .ipk, they could've done so in many easier ways than with all those new/updated files in 1.04
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drnycallstar19 View Post
    same here ..when you getting yours??
    Not soon enough...hopefully within 2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by downhere View Post
    so basically palm is telling us to go do something bad to our mothers with this patch? looks like "closing the security holes" is just the next step in palm becoming another apple. i know that all sounds like some harsh words, but i know they keep track of these forums and hope some harsh rhetoric might be taken to heart. i really hope they delete this update really fast. this update does nothing for the average user, only to those who use exploits (which is a very very small portions of the pre users).

Again, just a very bad move by palm.
    Lame. This was a very smart move by Palm.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I agree with others that the install via email was a security hole. However, disabling it completely wouldn't have been my first choice to fix it. I was really hoping that they would instead offer a security warning to the process; "You are about to install (...), proceed?"

That would have been huge of Palm. Too bad.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The sprint configuration is now 1.6 - isn't that new?
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Someone needs to create an "Install an app" app

But yes,fixing the hole was needed, especially since the user got no warning that something was happening.
    Seriously, someone get a sideloading app out there before everyone gets the update~
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    sheesh everyones a critic. First I applaud palm for continued upgrades- even if this is just baby step I would imagine this isn't all they are working on. We will likely continue to get improvements as time goes on- some small, some big.

Second, how anyone could bemoan palm fixing security wholes that basically open the phone up to any number of easy attacks is beyond me. Should palm protect 'the average user' that makes up 95% of their user base, or the 5% that are hackers? Sheesh
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    The sprint configuration is now 1.6 - isn't that new?
    Yes, it was 1.5 previously.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightpix View Post
    Lame. This was a very smart move by Palm.
    Agreed. Anytime an update comes out which fixes a hole in which someone can have you unknowingly install malware on your phone is a good thing. The side effect to fixing this security hole is stopping people from installing homebrewed apps, but it's not like Palm is never going to allow apps to be installed. The SDK is coming out...patience is a virtue, which is what I have to tell myself as I wait for my own Pre...damn...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Maybe it's just coincidence or dumb luck, but I just got a phone call on my phone while in my office where I have a lousy signal. I wasn't getting any calls before. Could they have made any changes that would have affected reception?
    It's great that Palm fixed the hole, but they promised us the ability to sideload apps, and they basically just closed our only opportunity to sideload apps without a proper solution.
    Who IS Townsend Ladd Harris?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Yes, it was 1.5 previously.
    Used to get 3 bars at home at the desk, now 4 bars. Dunno if that helped or today is a unusually good signal day
    Palm shouldn't of fixed it and let everybody who install homebred apps via email do so at there own risk.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    As I was downloading the update I was lamenting my poor signal quality - 1 or 2 bars for the duration. I've also noticed over the last few days that it is very inconsistent, the signal quality will jump around from 1x, to full bars on EVDO, etc.

After the update I have full bars. Perhaps the new Sprint configuration has addressed some reception issues? Anyone else notice anything similar?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast