Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    It shows the last pic I took in the background. Can't be positive, but I don't think it ever did this for me.
    I remember it having a grey background in the past. It now shows the last pic I took, greyed out a bit, with the camera icon on it.
    Anyone test out sending yourself a wallpaper from this site? It didn't work for me now.
    Just to confirm, FWIW, that the RocknRollHax still works
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayrot View Post
    Here's a definite fix/update:

Reviewing a picture from the camera app is a little bit speedier. Prior to 1.04, when you click the photo icon in the camera app (i.e. to see the picture you just took), the screen would first switch to the photo selection screen (i.e. with "All pictures", "Camera Roll", and whatever other albums you have) and would then switch to your photo. This was a little confusing since it was a bit laggy and many people thought you had to actually tap "Camera roll" (you didn't, it would go there automatically).

Now you'll notice it goes straight from the live-view camera to the photo, perhaps a bit more quickly.
    I like this! It's about time!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    Anyone test out sending yourself a wallpaper from this site? It didn't work for me now.
    Just tried it, still working for me.
    The only thing making youe phone faster is the reset. They patched the email security hole nothing elsw seems changes.

Unfortunately Palm isn't moving very quickly in speeding things up and adding features. Nor are they even talking about what they are working on or what is coming.

Frankly I'm not very impressed with them thus far on the update front.
    I imagine it's to fix the ability to instal apps through email, which could open the phone up to malicious software. I can't check till I get home, but the install.bat in the SDK probably still works, and you don't need to root to use that. So homebrew will still be go.
    Yea, it does look like the major purpose of this update was to kill the Homebrew app scene.. I would recommend not updating for now!
    I think any perceived performance increases are placebo or just due to the reboot. According to Palm, all this update does is address security.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    It shows the last pic I took in the background. Can't be positive, but I don't think it ever did this for me.
    yea, it used to do this
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The only thing making youe phone faster is the reset. They patched the email security hole nothing elsw seems changes.

Unfortunately Palm isn't moving very quickly in speeding things up and adding features. Nor are they even talking about what they are working on or what is coming.

Frankly I'm not very impressed with them thus far on the update front.
    O shut up...u have to be patient. the phone did come out 3 weeks ago damn give it some time or return the damn phone ppl always complaining!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc000t View Post
    How long did it take apple to get out a 1.04 version for its iphone?
    I think version numbers are extremely difficult to compare between software packages. I actually can't even think of a good way to start doing that. There are so many variables that comparing just the number means nothing. I am not trying to say Palm is not making progress, only that the comparison might not be something to brag about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm going to wait to update until another way of installing homebrew apps is found...
    You can try to wait, but it will Dl over the next few days when your phone goes idle
    Yea, it does look like the major purpose of this update was to kill the Homebrew app scene.. I would recommend not updating for now!
    It wasn't to kill "Homebrew" apps. It was to kill loading apps via e-mail (a major security hole). Can you imagine what would have happened if a malicious coder had sent out an e-mail with a dangerous link?

You gotta look at the big picture.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Why is anyone excited for this update? I'll be excited when we get something real.

On the other hand I dont imagine anyone here who knows not to click a strange .ipk extended file has any reason to install this update.

Let's not have the whole "omg everything just feels faster!" placebo effect that we did last time.
    Reviewing a picture from the camera app is a little bit speedier. Prior to 1.04, when you click the photo icon in the camera app (i.e. to see the picture you just took), the screen would first switch to the photo selection screen (i.e. with "All pictures", "Camera Roll", and whatever other albums you have) and would then switch to your photo. This was a little confusing since it was a bit laggy and many people thought you had to actually tap "Camera roll" (you didn't, it would go there automatically).
    I haven't done the update yet, and my Pre does this... I think it's been like this all along.
    That's ridiculous. It just closed up a security hole that could lead to abuse, Palm's already been pretty open about working with the community. The only real thing slowing down officially distributed software and "homebrew" releases is the fact that Palm's developers are still putting the finishing touches on the SDK.

Patience is a virtue.... and a dying art, it seems.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    The phone will force you to update at some point.

I can't remember where the post was, but a gadget or pre related site recently had a post explaining how the phone will download the update automatically, then ask to update every time you put it on a charger.

After you decline X amount of times, it will update without giving you a choice.

EDIT: here's a link:

http :// news.softpedia.com/news/Palm-Pre-Users-Forced-to-Update-Their-Handsets-114478.shtml
    Last edited by aglide; 06/29/2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added link to article
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    Yup, I believe so. I just tried installing My Notification and it didn't work. I just installed the translator about 10 minutes before I updated to 1.0.4. Looks like the Homebrew party is over!
    Enter Dev mode.
    Install the SDK.
    Use "palm_install.bat -d usb my_big_long_name.ipk"

Don't need to root. Still get your ipk goodness.
    If you ask me, i think Palm is moving in the right direction. Sure we lose the easy way of installing apps, but then again, we also just protected all the other people and corporate users from getting malicious code.

If Palm really wanted to stop homebrew apps, they could have locked it down so only apps through the store could be d/l. And as per the "unnoficial" word, it says it block apps from being loaded without physically having the device in hand. Hence OTA malicious code.