1.    #1  
    First off I apologize if there is a thread about this, I couldn't find one.

On my old phone, I could go to any website and it would automatically direct me to the mobile version of the website. I'll use CNN as an example. It would list the headlines in readable text and not include graphics, banners, advertisements, etc. I would click on a link, and the page it took me to would be readable (no zooming in to mess with). Now with my Pre, I google CNN and click the link, it takes me to the regular CNN site with microscopic text. I must then zoom in on the text and scroll right and left to read an article. This is the case for just about every website I go to.

Am I missing something? I don't want to zoom and scroll left to right to read a line of text. I want the text to automatically be readable and "wrap" to my screen.
    Same thing happen to me when I'm on the mobile version of PreCentral and reading a article and click the link to take me to the forum it goes to the regular website view and not the mobile view.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Web developers need to update their sites to add a rule to redirect Palm Pres to the mobile site. Give it a few more weeks and that should happen. Most sites haven't started "identifying" the Pre yet by default.
    I would MUCH rather sites NOT automatically redirect, but rather give a link for their mobile site. Or, at the very least, provide an easy-to-find link back to the main site.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Even the full versions of the sites aren't horrible.
    The Pre browser is not a "mobile" (stripped) browser. It's a (nearly) full-featured browser that is capable of displaying sites in their full form. Navigation is a breeze after a few minutes of practice. If you want the dumbed-down version of a site, the mobile versions are always available; you just are not automatically directed to them in most instances.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatethisregistration View Post
    Even the full versions of the sites aren't horrible.
    They are if you use your phone a lot to browse. Having to zoom in/out and scroll left to right for every line of text is time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by stronglikedan View Post
    The Pre browser is not a "mobile" (stripped) browser. It's a (nearly) full-featured browser that is capable of displaying sites in their full form. Navigation is a breeze after a few minutes of practice. If you want the dumbed-down version of a site, the mobile versions are always available; you just are not automatically directed to them in most instances.
    I don't know if I would call readable text without ad and banners "dumbed-down." I call it "simplified."
    Just double tap on the section of text you want to read and it will zoom in to the point that the text is legible. It also helps to turn the phone on its side so it will flip to landscape mode which will make the text even bigger. I can read this forum in landscape mode without any issues, and double tapping on it again will just focus on the white area of the forum where the actual text for each post is.

Just play with double tapping and you'll find the best way to read text without scrolling left and right. The only time I use the pinch to zoom feature is to look at pictures on a site, or if I really want to zoom in on one of the page numbers no the forum so I can go to the next page.
    I want to do the opposite. Is there any way to get the Pre browser to go to the full site when it appears the site always defaults you to the mobile version? I can't pull up the full version of MLB.com for example.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Go to m.cnn.com. Bookmark it. End of story.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Surely, there is some tool out there that will force a mobile site. A proxy, perhaps?

I don't see my office changing their (Groupwise) webmail to recognize the Pre. And, while it's nice to have the full webmail app, there are times where the mobile version just works better on a phone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Just double tap on the section of text you want to read and it will zoom in to the point that the text is legible. It also helps to turn the phone on its side so it will flip to landscape mode which will make the text even bigger. I can read this forum in landscape mode without any issues, and double tapping on it again will just focus on the white area of the forum where the actual text for each post is.

Just play with double tapping and you'll find the best way to read text without scrolling left and right. The only time I use the pinch to zoom feature is to look at pictures on a site, or if I really want to zoom in on one of the page numbers no the forum so I can go to the next page.
    The double tap seems to work the majority of the time, thank you. I would still prefer (most of the time) to visit the mobile version of the page. Viewing a page that was designed for a 19" screen on a 3" screen sucks. Guess I'll have to wait for the sites to "recognize" that I'm on a mobile phone.
    I can't stand when web sites automatically redirect you to the mobile version. The Pre is capable of displaying most full web sites. When the web site is automatically redirected to the mobile site it makes viewing the regular site impossible. The option would be fine, but I don't want to be forced to use the mobile site.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I can't stand when web sites automatically redirect you to the mobile version. The Pre is capable of displaying most full web sites. When the web site is automatically redirected to the mobile site it makes viewing the regular site impossible. The option would be fine, but I don't want to be forced to use the mobile site.
    I agree it should be an "option." However, in my case, I read news sites. I don't need banners, graphics, links, an entire page designed for a 19" screen. I simply want headlines and text in readable text. My old phone did it flawlessly. It made text readable and "wrapped" it. I love my Pre, just found it's browsing annoying. The double tap works most of the time, so I'm content.
    Yeah, I agree. The biggest selling points of the iPhone and the Pre is that these smarter phones can render the sites fully.

ATTENTION DEVELOPERS: DO NOT FORCE ME TO USE THE MOBILE VERSION. PUT A BUTTON SOMEWHERE DIRECTING ME TO THE FULL SITE AT THE VERY LEAST.
    Many mobile sites are unreadable for me on Pre. Too small. I was delighted to discover the following workaround.

In landscape mode it practically turns the NY Times into a large print edition.

http://m.forums.precentral.net/showt...55#post1716155