1.    #1  
    first off i wanted to put this in homebrew apps, but for some reason i couldn't... so i'm posting here!

hey i wanted to put this emulator on my phone (since i'm under ten posts search "palm pre apps and homebrew emulators" and skip to 2:20 for the emulator (first half is app reviews)) he provides a link on the side how to put it on your phone...

once i opened the link provided the whole project flew a good mile or two over my head! i took a c++ class and a java class, but being with a room filled with computer g33ks i learned a lot more about cheating through servers than actually learning the programing!

so would ya dumb it down for me?

also i'm on OS X, i've seen a lot of stuff about linux so i'm not sure if that will make a difference or not... will i need to download anything for this programming?

also where would i get roms (yeah a n00b question... but roms are the games right? if not what are the games called and how would i obtain one?) how would i make a "rom"?

thanks in advance guys!
    Sounds like you think the discussion on here is refering to emulators of gaming systems such as NES, whereas the Pre SDK provides an emulator of the phone upon which your programs under development can be run.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Sounds like you think the discussion on here is refering to emulators of gaming systems such as NES, whereas the Pre SDK provides an emulator of the phone upon which your programs under development can be run.
    once more, over my head!
    This is a Pre emulator. Aka, the PC is emulating the Pre.

You're thinking of videogame emulators, where the Pre would be emulating a NES.

I'm really not sure how much simpler it can be said lol.
  5.    #5  
    I thought the guy was emulating games?

But regardless can somebody help me get mario cart, super smash bros, even somethin like pokemon without having to spend $30 bucks on classic just to use an emulator (I probably wouldn't use classic otherwise cause no apps apeal me for that), or switching half of my hard drive to linux just to get the games...
    If what Johnc is saying goes over your head, I'm guessing you can't do what it takes right now to have an emulator. Takes medium programming ability to do it. There is no app that you can download currently to play Smash (which is Nintendo 64, don't know if the Pre could play that) or Mario Kart... Hopefully there will be soon because I can't wait to use it.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    If what Johnc is saying goes over your head, I'm guessing you can't do what it takes right now to have an emulator. Takes medium programming ability to do it. There is no app that you can download currently to play Smash (which is Nintendo 64, don't know if the Pre could play that) or Mario Kart... Hopefully there will be soon because I can't wait to use it.
    Well my only experience with emulators was once more in my comp science class where my good ole comp g33ks brought the project 64 to school and put on the server for everyone to play... Our teacher wasn't too happy... But that really was my only exposure, I really thought all emulators were for gaming...

Thanks for helping me get a basic intro for emulators guys!
    The Commodore 64 emulator people have indiated that once they get the SDK they will look at getting it running on the Pre

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1700732
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The Commodore 64 emulator people have indiated that once they get the SDK they will look at getting it running on the Pre

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1700732
    Just showin my true n00bn3ss here, they released the SDK right? And no, i'm not expecting it over night, i'm just curious

And thank you johny!
    Wonder is Palm would allow that on the App store? I'm 98% sure they wouldn't... Just hope we can play somehow without hacking our phone.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeybob365 View Post
    Just showin my true n00bn3ss here, they released the SDK right? And no, i'm not expecting it over night, i'm just curious

And thank you johny!
    Just showin my true n00bn3ss here, they released the SDK right?
    Just showin my true n00bn3ss here
    my true n00bn3ss here
    n00bn3ss here
    n00b here
    u s0 l33t

on a serious note, emulators are programs that...well emulate. For example in windows 7, you can emulate a windows XP session so that you can run program not compatible with 7. In the case if the Pre emulator, it allows developers to test and see how an app would run on the pre .
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    Wonder is Palm would allow that on the App store? I'm 98% sure they wouldn't... Just hope we can play somehow without hacking our phone.
    Well how was it done on the treo/centros?

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    ^^ It was leaked, not released.
    So in general what does everyone think will happen with apps made? Just available on random websites for a while? Then later added to the catalog when the SDK is officially released?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    The best app anyone could create would be a non-palm app catalog.
    Palm themselves have indicated that the App Catalog will not be the only way to get programs on your Pre.
    Good lord reading this thread gave me a headache...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Good lord reading this thread gave me a headache...
    +1

I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    ...hey i wanted to put this emulator on my phone ...
    What emulator? "This" normally refers to something in context.

... and skip to 2:20 for the emulator (first half is app reviews)) he provides a link on the side how to put it on your phone...
    2:20 What? Where?

...once i opened the link provided the whole project flew a good mile or two over my head!
    Huh? What Link? Maybe if we knew what you were talking about it would help.

also where would i get roms (yeaha n00b question... but roms are the games right? if not what are the games called and how would i obtain one?) how would i make a "rom"?...
    Oh, I see, you want to steal games.

Worst post ever.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Well my only experience with emulators was once more in my comp science class where my good ole comp g33ks brought the project 64 to school and put on the server for everyone to play... Our teacher wasn't too happy... But that really was my only exposure, I really thought all emulators were for gaming...
    You attended a comp sci class in which you were taught emulators were only for gaming? You should get your money refunded for that course!
    hahaha
  20.    #20  
    Fishous, I tell you what to search...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You attended a comp sci class in which you were taught emulators were only for gaming? You should get your money refunded for that course!
    Took in school over the last two years, and it was the other kids who thought me that