1.    #1  
    Will be getting my Pre soon. Can anyone provide what the feel should all be tested and what to look for before leaving the store. There are bits and pieces everywhere, but thought it would be good to have one place to show what to look for. Thanks in advance!
    make sure it doesnt wobble
    No dead pixels, no white dots near the bottom of the lcd, no bubble under the screen, and no wobble.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I am buying a Pre soon also and was wondering the same thing.

Would it be useful to check any "hash codes"? such as ##786# (RTN) to check the manufacture date (listed as warranty date) or to see if it has been refurbished?
    I saw a post saying that some stores may be selling previously returned phones in hopes that the new owner won't notice. Of course, if they actually did this, then they probably would not set the Refurbished flag in the phone anyway. So that may not be of any use.
    This is a good thread and I ask that the OP update the list provided by other posters.

Check for light leakage
    Check for signal indicator jumping around
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Oh, isn't there some built in function/app that helps you find dead or stuck pixels? Can someone tell me where that is located in the phone? (for those of us who have very little or no experience with using the Pre.)
    Device Info>More Info>(menu option) Interactive Test> Screen Test
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    To elaborate just a bit, this will cycle the screen through primary colors. My two stuck pixels show up best in the grey that's the general Pre background...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Hey that was a fun little interactive test. Just double verified I have no stuck pixels or anything too.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    You want to have fun with a pixel test? This will showcase all your pixel issues.
    Go to dimly lit room
    Brightness 100%
    Activate the camera
    Move your hand close to camera and move it back and forth allowing small amounts of ambient light through.
    You will see specks of various colors. DO NOT mistake this for normal camera distortion. It is not.
    Mess with it for a few minutes and look for the specks that consistently show up in the same place.

All in and all these are not really a big deal, but I've seen a boring unnoticeable pixel turn into a pink eye-catcher against all colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken0311 View Post
    You want to have fun with a pixel test? This will showcase all your pixel issues.
    Go to dimly lit room
    Brightness 100%
    Activate the camera
    Move your hand close to camera and move it back and forth allowing small amounts of ambient light through.
    You will see specks of various colors. DO NOT mistake this for normal camera distortion. It is not.
    Mess with it for a few minutes and look for the specks that consistently show up in the same place.

All in and all these are not really a big deal, but I've seen a boring unnoticeable pixel turn into a pink eye-catcher against all colors.
    You are absolutely wrong. What you are seeing is normal digital camera "noise" at high sensitivity (ISO) levels. If you do see a spot that doesn't move it's much more likely to be a defect in the CCD than a defect in the screen.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    For what its worth, there's only one Sprint store in the area allowed to stock Pres - I know someone who owns another local store, and the Pres won't be in her channel until September. In any case, the guy signing me up and I went through every Pre they had in the store (7 of them!) - all had fairly bad case wobble/oreo symptoms. (The one worker in the store who had her own Pre had one she'd been sent that didn't have any case issues at all.)

So, he'll be calling me next week to let me know if they get any new Pres, and if any of those are case-problem-free. I'm not holding out much hope...

Discouraging day! Pre... soon... I hope.