Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hey,

I'm not telling anyone that just spent $200+ dollars on a phone not to complain if there is some bs problems with it. If the problems weren't there, people wouldnt have that to complain about. Logical right? People are becoming so complacent with the "beta" age that they tell people not to complain.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    The OP and those that agree with him are right; I've seen the light! Now if you only post 100 more threads about it, I think you'll get everyone to stop posting multiple threads about every little complaint!

This whole thread is moot. People are going to say what they're going to say; only strict moderation can stifle it. So until the gestapo takes over the moderation, I think you guys are just going to have to suck up the horrors of the multiple complaint threads.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissurra View Post
    Im amazed how many threads are on this board with people whining about build quality, lack of apps, sprint sucks, boo hoo hoo. Did none of you people research your purchase before spending ~$200+ on the phone then ~$55+ a month for service and entering into a 2 year contract?

I had an issue with my phone, guess what I returned it and got a new one. I didnt need to call sprint 100x I didnt need to threaten anyone. I called stores near me, told them my situation and found a store that could help me.

I think some people just love to nitpick and find things wrong with their phone, sprint etc and just whine about it. Maybe its just me but its a cell phone, its not that big of a deal in my life for me to get that worked up over. A dead pixel wont ruin my day Im happy that Im fortunate enough to afford a nice luxury.

Mods feel free to delete this but I thought some positivity would be nice to go along with all of the crybabying on here.

Should we not be able to remorse on what Palm could have done. A better keyboard and a micros sd. Those are real issues.
    Ed C. said on day one we would have support for epocrates, we have good relationship with them. Well on day one it would not work. If so good a relationship why did not epocrates release the WebOs of the platform on day one if good relationship with them. Palm still does not have their act together. Sprint has done well on their tech support situation with the Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Should we not be able to remorse on what Palm could have done. A better keyboard and a micros sd. .
    You knew about one of those issues and could have figured out the second one in a matter of minutes before buying a Pre.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    People who pay for a product (especially a high priced one) expect it to work great. What's wrong with that? @phoneafriend the iPhone 3GS is great but there's no multitasking though. Great media device though. Check online and with people who have an iPhone for coverage in your area. The bill is expensive though. And the camera sucks in low light.
    If it's the meaningless threads that don't add much value are bothering you people, use the same judgment against the countless threads about "oh I just got Pre today", "oh, Pre is great".

Meaningless praises are fine, but meaningless whines are not? To me, that sounds like de facto "fanboy mentality".

Let's have one standard. Double-standard is what makes this world miserable.

I am fine that people don't want countless threads not adding value to the forum. I agree. It would be nice to have just one mega complaints threads, if needed. Since I am also having troubles with my Pre, I want to see what other people have to say. To see if my experience is norm or not. To see if just one simple exchange would be sufficient or not. To see if I have to return altogether and wait for the next version or not. Those "meaningless" threads you see give me valuable information about what actions I should take.

I seriously hope that Pre/Palm was so good that there was no complain to make whatsoever. But that's not the case. Both Pre and Palm do have serious problems on hand. If this forum is full of people who cannot accept anything negative, then people here has no right to make fun of Apple fanboys.

The reason I want to stay away from Apple is not because Apple products suck. In fact, they are great. They have shortcomings, for sure, but they are simply great. Why can't anyone else make as good products as Apple? Anyways, it's the blinded fanboys that make me not want Apple products and don't want to be seen as Apple user. Every time I read stupid Apple fanboy comments like "Windows sucks" "Mac OS X is flawless" "Pre? The iPhone copy-cat?", "Who needs multi-tasking when you have iPhone?" I feel so bad that I wish I didn't have my iPhone or Macbook Pro.

I just hope that the attitudes of (most) Pre/Palm users don't follow the suit of Apple fanboys. If they do, I would lose my last sanctuary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Generally, as in mostly, after a product launches only the unhappy feel inclined to post on the internet. It doesn't matter if 1% of customers are unhappy, they will fill up 80% of forums. It's just life.
    Isn't that what is often referred to as the "internet echo chamber"?

I agree about duplicate threads. I usually try to find an existing thread that's similar to the question that I have.
    I agree. There is nothing wrong with expressing your displeasure but it seems like every other thread has a complaint. Maybe the Mods should open a complaint section. It almost seems like it's calculated lol.
    I asked why there needs to be 30 of them, I mainly read this board for the hacks, tweaks etc. Yes maybe this did come off self absorbed however everyone now knows the limitations and issues of this phone. Nothing is new its the same thing rehashed over and over ad naseum.
    Yet somehow you think the 30 or so existing threads whining about people complaining somehow needed one more identical thread added to the discussion? You really are self-absorbed aren't you? I have a suggestion for you:

Don't read posts you don't like if you can't control your urge to publicly whine about them.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yet somehow you think the 30 or so existing threads whining about people complaining somehow needed one more identical thread added to the discussion? You really are self-absorbed aren't you? I have a suggestion for you:

Don't read posts you don't like if you can't control your urge to publicly whine about them.
    Point me to one, I actually searched to make sure there wasnt one.

The point is I DONT read them, however when I click on todays posts and there are a ton of complain threads and I have to go through each section to find valuable information its not a good user experience.

Ultimately its up to the mods to decide how its run, and guess what just like everyone was bashing me claiming that Palm reads these complain threads and use it to fix issues, well perhaps the mods read this thread and make it a better user experience for everyone.
    We really do need a merged crybaby thread sticky for people that want to read complaints, just like we have a designated bug thread so we don't have 400 of those.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Usually the "Crybaby" threads have the "Crying" in the title. Here's a thought....don't read them. Very easy. If you see a thread titled "This Phone Sux!!!", skip it, it's not for you. If the majority of the people on this forum feel like you feel then the tread will, by attrition, be move out. But, conversely, if the thread bears some merit then it will be around and you will have, at least for the moment fallen into the minority and thus have to deal with the annoyance. So doing your part would not be to respond to the "crybaby" with criticism, but, instead to only take part in that which you find relevant. That is the adult way of handling such a thing.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    Usually the "Crybaby" threads have the "Crying" in the title. Here's a thought....don't read them. Very easy. If you see a thread titled "This Phone Sux!!!", skip it, it's not for you. If the majority of the people on this forum feel like you feel then the tread will, by attrition, be move out. But, conversely, if the thread bears some merit then it will be around and you will have, at least for the moment fallen into the minority and thus have to deal with the annoyance. So doing your part would not be to respond to the "crybaby" with criticism, but, instead to only take part in that which you find relevant. That is the adult way of handling such a thing.
    Youre not following, I will put it as simply as I can. There is one thread for all the bugs with the phone, not 30. There are people who come and post their issues with the phone in a new thread which then pushes the valuable info off of the main page and it gets buried.

If there was one complaint thread that was stickied then everyone could post there and let other threads remain on the main page.

Again to reiterate Im not saying dont complain, Im saying dont make a new thread over and over add it to an already existing one.

For example right now there are 4 complaint threads and the valuable ones such as the mynotification thread on how to change tones is on the 2nd page. That is valuable info that is being push down due to the fact that everyone posts their own complaint thread.

So just avoiding them as you suggest isnt possible if I have to go through 3+ pages to try to find the valuable info.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Again since everyone seems to have trouble comprehending this, Im not stating that people shouldnt complain. Im stating there doesnt need to be a new thread for every person who has an issue. Put all the complaints and subsequent resolutions into one thread.

Why is that so difficult to comprehend? Everyone who has issues can post there and guess what if Palm does read this board if there is a sticky with a ton of posts with different problems that far more effective then 1000 different threads with complaints. If you want it to be effective you make sure they see it.
    Is Sim-Moderator out on the Pre yet or is it Windows only. Like you, I too may enjoy feeding my inner-megalomaniac by controlling the discussion boards and dictating the behavior of the Sim-Posters. Heck, if I can't get people to respect my smartitude then why not go to anonymous boards screaming about how much better I handle problems better than everyone else.

In reality people may ignore me, but in Sim-Moderator I...am...a...god!
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/29/2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Then you are saying all the people happy that they got a Pre shouldnt make a thread either? They should just put it all in one thread called "i just a new pre"
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    There are definitely issues with the phone regardless of how much research anyone did - for me the one thing I did not expect was a decrease in signal reception over my previous phone...also the lack of basic phone functions - voice dial, etc - but I LOVE my Pre and it is with me til the next WebOS phone comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaer57 View Post
    ...I'm sure Palm monitors this forum, and other forums like it....without complaints being voiced, Palm might take longer to fix these faults or never even fix them at all...
    I think it's a stretch to suggest that people complain on this board as a way to voice their concerns to the manufacturer. If they wanted the manufacturer to be aware of the problem(s), they would contact the manufacturer directly. People don't complain on this forum because they want their problem fixed, they complain because they want to be validated; they want a chorus of replies that supports thier opinion and their behavior.

Those of you who say that a post that contains a complaint is no different than a post that contains good news (i.e., "I Love My Pre," "I Got My Pre Today") are wrong. It is human nature to share good news and it is human nature to complain. However, people enjoy positive and exciting news. We take pleasure in someone's joy when they announce their promotion, new home, pregnancy, lottery win, engagement, etc. In all my years of shrinking heads I've never heard someone bemoan good news.

Yet everyone has a complaint tolerance, especially when it sounds like whining (and on the internet without someone's tone or voice inflection from which to take cues, almost every complaint sounds like whining). People don't like listening to whining. Have you ever been on a plane or restaurant or movie theater where there's a whining child? Is it enjoyable? Are you able to ignore it? In what kind of mood did it leave you?

I think that people whining about the whiners (and yes, the irony is not lost on me) have reached their whine tolerance. They feel like they've been trapped on an airplane next to a whiney toddler and they are letting off steam from their experience.

I congratulate the OP, (s)he made it longer than I did. I reached my whine tolerance last week.
    Last edited by Raegan76; 06/29/2009 at 04:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raegan76 View Post
    For those of you who say that a post that contains a complaint is no different than a post that contains good news (i.e., "I Love My Pre," "I Got My Pre Today") are wrong. It is human nature to share good news and it is human nature to complain. However, people enjoy positive and exciting news. We take pleasure in someone's joy when they announce their promotion, new home, pregnancy, lottery win, engagement, etc. In all my years of shrinking heads I've never heard someone bemoan good news.
    As a professional head shrinker then let me introduce you to your first interaction with someone who bemoans good news. (Followed by a few billion inhabiting this planet).

When someone posts "The build quality of this phone sucks!" then I'll check out the thread because even if a problem isn't evident now, it may still creep up on you later. Complaining is a way of expressing a problem, and all problems are solvable.

When someone posts "OMG. Best Buy Called. My Phone is IN STOCK. YAY!!!" then I could care less. If I were a phony I'd be civil and say "I'm happy for you" but in reality I don't know that person and the ONLY thing we probably have in common is that our phones look alike. So I don't even look at their thread.

Does that make me a bad person? To some then it makes me a selfish jerk. But in reality then it makes me just like (universal) you. Whenever you go to Best Buy or Target then there are people overflowing with glee that they just bought a product they wanted. Do you shake their hand or jump like giddy school chums? Or are you indifferently waiting for your turn to buy your stuff and continuing with your day?

People don't like listening to whining. Have you ever been on a plane or restaurant or movie theater where there's a whining child? Is it enjoyable? Are you able to ignore it? In what kind of mood did it leave you?

I think that people whining about the whiners (and yes, the irony is not lost on me) have reached their whine tolerance. They feel like they've been trapped on an airplane next to a whiney toddler and they are letting off steam from their experience.
    Doesn't that lie completely on whether you relate to the "whining"? When you're single and tired from an all-nighter then the cries of a baby can drive you mad. But when you're a parent then you've got compassion for that poor mom with the annoying kid because you've been there.

Same goes for your phone. If you're one who has no problems and can justify reasons for why YOU are the standard for how people should react then the sound of a complaint is grating. BUT, if you have been there before and feel bad for that guy who wants to love his phone but can't get on the dang exchange server then you put your virtual hand on his shoulder and have compassion for his problem.

I congratulate the OP, (s)he made it longer than I did. I reached my whine tolerance last week.
    If I ever need a therapist then I'll be sure to check what phone they own first because I think I'd prefer someone more patient with problems...
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/29/2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Too many dicks on the dance floor...
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    The crybabies are still cryin' in this thread? Let me recap the 40 other wasted crybaby threads posted daily:

- Your phone is wobbly by .02microns and you want Palm to fix it right now!

- Sprint service sucks worse than two dixie cups with a shoe string for calls and they better get their head out their asses before my 30 days!!

- The iPhone has <insert feature that took 3 years to implement here> and Sprint better add it or they're gonna go bankrupt!

- My Blackberry Curves around the Storm has a battery that last 2 decades before a charge, Why can't my Pre last longer than 30seconds!!??

Then there might be one or two really good 'issue' threads that someone actually needs help with or the community can coalesce around to add to the bug list. But mostly its about swimming through the sea of whiny-*** threads to find the sprinkle of helpful posts.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast