Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Windows Marketplace launching with 600 apps, or one bazillion times what the App Catalog has

Cue comments about WebOS 1.0 (if you wait, the apps will come), and 49,999 iFart apps...
    Patience, little grasshopper. Give it a couple of month and we will have at least 10 bazillion apps. Watch out Iphone! Be afraid... very afraid!
    still in beta.. just wait till end of summer. if you don't want to wait then return your pre.
    Windows SHOULD open with 600 apps!! Its been around how dam long??? Just wait till we get get moving!!!
    600 apps is just not enough incentive to go back to that god awful Win Mo. I have owned Win Mo phones for 6 years, and the sad part is that comparing Win Mo to today and when I first started using it, there isn't much difference. The old adage of it aint broke, don't fix it must have been believed by everyone there.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    palm has like 60,000 apps- just not for the pre... They do NEED to get the SDK out officially like yesterday though.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron130 View Post
    Windows SHOULD open with 600 apps!! Its been around how dam long??? Just wait till we get get moving!!!
    Exactly. Winmo has been around for a while, of course when their app store comes out you'd expect a bunch of apps. I'm not sure what the OP's point was with this.
    Windows Mobile is just like my Windows PC...does stupid things for no reason, has to be rebooted for NO reason...what can you say...its Microsoft....
    Quality over quantity. Palm knows what they're doing
    Have you ever used Wm? I dont care if they have 2 million apps, their all going to suck. I would rather be number 4 than number 12 like you.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I don't understand what the obsession with apps is. Why do we need to have 50,000 apps to be happy? How many of those apps will you actually use (not to mention the ones you use once, and never again). If there is some specific app you want to see, then voice your opinion about it to let the app developers know there is demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy72 View Post
    Windows Mobile is just like my Windows PC...does stupid things for no reason, has to be rebooted for NO reason...what can you say...its Microsoft....
    user error...
    still, their ability to use the xda forums and cooked roms was simply amazing.. could completely change the battery life, media/file/business capabilities, signal issues, speed of the phone with a simple ROM.
    Well, Windows Mobile already has at least 25,000 applications written for it, having been out for years as it has been. The fact that 600 of them will be centralized in Microsoft's store really isn't terribly meaningful. Go to Handango.com and you'll find many more.

Really, the linked article is pretty ridiculous. Every established platform (including PalmOS, R.I.P.) has many 10's of thousands of apps written for it. The iPhone is not unique--the only thing that's been special about its applications is that Apple created a store that's accessible directly and easily on the device. Or, actually, it's not easy to FIND good apps, but it's easy to get whatever you do find.

People like whoever wrote the Engadget piece are simply too uninformed to realize that the apps have been available all along, just not in a centralized, phone-centric store.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    speaking of handango.com, i went to the website and they have a few apps available there for the pre including bejeweled 2
  16.    #16  
    Point of the post was just to illustrate that Palm is #4 right now. Translation: sure, we'll wait (as if we have a choice), but if this whole "quality over quantity" doesn't pan out in a couple months, WebOS is doomed.

The phone, for the most part, works as it should so I'm not really complaining too much. WinMo is crap for the most part, but has some strengths (e.g. works great within a company's IT infrastructure, foolproof tethering, etc.). I'm just hoping that everyone's bets pay off. Every day I wake up wishing I had some app that would help me in the real world (e.g. scanning a product in the store to search for the best price online, oh what is this song on the radio, etc.). Sadly, these are all options available on other phones currently.
  17.    #17  
    Oh, and I still think they should post some legacy PalmOS apps on the app catalog...I don't care for them, but I know LOTS of people do. Adding to the app count doesn't hurt either.
    I pose to you this question OP: If you were Palm, what would you do differently?
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
    Point of the post was just to illustrate that Palm is #4 right now. Translation: sure, we'll wait (as if we have a choice), but if this whole "quality over quantity" doesn't pan out in a couple months, WebOS is doomed.
    WebOS was just released less than a month ago. Of course it is going to be #4. You expected it to be released and immediately ahead of other mobile OSes out of the gate?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I'm not the OP, but I think they should have had more apps available when the phone launched. They knew and are even exploiting the fact that they are trying to draw people away from the iPhone. One of the biggest thing Apple has going for them is apps. We all love them (I own an iPod Touch) and were hoping that the Pre would be an instant alternative to the iPhone.

I have a Pre because I live in a rural area that AT&T has no plans for service in the future. Sprint is my only option. I am looking forward to the apps becoming available.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast