Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

^---

My first, now can we please put away the ePeen's and have discussions rather than whose is bigger contests.

The Pre's in 5th actually right now for major U.S. Makers....6th if you consider them competing against POS as well with the Centro still out and older POS phones.

That said....

The iPhone, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, and I think android, though am not certain on it, did not have many apps in their first MONTH of existance either. Indeed, having 30 dedicated apps within the first month is more than the iPhone or Blackberry had. Sure, WinMo could run some old WinCE software if you were extremely lucky, however the same could be said with Classic on the Pre.

Palm's worry needs to be 2 months from now. If by 3 months in they do not have at least a semi-respectable app catalog...and by that I don't mean so much that it needs five hundred apps, but at least 50 to hundred filling MULTIPLE genre's and filling the most common needs.

If they can do that within 3 months to 4 months of the life cycle they'll be set. By that point everything that comes out on top of that is gravy.

I laugh whenever people are comparing a decade old OS to a 1 month old OS. Yes, that excuse can not work forever. The WebOS needs to catch up with the other major OS's pretty quickly...but it is also pure idiocy to expect a 1.0 OS to be on par in every way with a near DECADE old OS out of the gate. Its expecting from Palm what no other single mobile OS has done ever.

Hell, PocketPC when it first came out didn't even have a convienent simple way to close programs without six+ clicks to do it.

Palm is on an edge right now and is walking the tight rope. They're well set to get to the other side and be smooth sailing from there forward, but a wrong move or two and they can get blown off. Its hardly the end for them after a month and pure idiocy for anyone to suggest as such.

As far as the above "WinMo is god, Pre is the worst phone ever" troll...still waiting for a response in the last thead you flooded with your crap and then vanished the moment someone with some actual knowledge decided to call you on it.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 07/06/2009 at 07:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

Palm's worry needs to be 2 months from now. If by 3 months in they do not have at least a semi-respectable app catalog...and by that I don't mean so much that it needs five hundred apps, but at least 50 to hundred filling MULTIPLE genre's and filling the most common needs.

If they can do that within 3 months to 4 months of the life cycle they'll be set. By that point everything that comes out on top of that is gravy.

I laugh whenever people are comparing a decade old OS to a 1 month old OS. Yes, that excuse can not work forever. The WebOS needs to catch up with the other major OS's pretty quickly...but it is also pure idiocy to expect a 1.0 OS to be on par in every way with a near DECADE old OS out of the gate. Its expecting from Palm what no other single mobile OS has done ever.

Hell, PocketPC when it first came out didn't even have a convienent simple way to close programs without six+ clicks to do it.

Palm is on an edge right now and is walking the tight rope. They're well set to get to the other side and be smooth sailing from there forward, but a wrong move or two and they can get blown off. Its hardly the end for them after a month and pure idiocy for anyone to suggest as such.

As far as the above "WinMo is god, Pre is the worst phone ever" troll...still waiting for a response in the last thead you flooded with your crap and then vanished the moment someone with some actual knowledge decided to call you on it.
    You are absolutely right. It isn't fair to compare a 1st gen OS against one that has been around for years. Your are also right again. WinMo in it's early years was and sometimes still is a pain in the a$$, but when WinMo first came out there wasn't much in the way of competition. The smartphone era had just begun. They were in essence, helping to mold the smartphones we see today. Them along with Blackberry & a couple others. But now we live in the world of smartphones. The technology has been around for almost 10+ years. 10 years of which Palm helped play a major role in, but then to release a incomplete and poorly built device is inexcusable. The whole 1.0 OS excuse is getting old and lame. People aren't asking them for totally new features. They are looking for things that other phones have been doing for years. Other Palm phones included. They released this POS when and how they did, out of desperation. All the hype was just that...hype. They raised everyone's expectations so they could make a quick buck and raise their quarterly profits and now we are paying for it. Then they try to pacify us and keep the fanboys happy with bogus updates & bullcrap press releases about SDK & Third Party App Developers hopping on-board. How about a real update that actually does something other than change the Version # on the Device Info page. How about giving us a press release when they actually have something of use to say.

On another note, I went after work & picked up my 4th Pre today. It's a official. I averaged a Pre a week since it's release. Must be a record. I guess the Pre fanboys will call that a 1.0 OS issue too. Funny, I never had that problem with any of my WinMo phones. Scratch that, I never had that problem with ANY phone I have ever owned. Scratch that, I have never had that problem with ANYTHING I have ever owned!!! Guess I caught the "1.0 OS Bug"
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    You are absolutely right. It isn't fair to compare a 1st gen OS against one that has been around for years. Your are also right again. WinMo in it's early years was and sometimes still is a pain in the a$$, but when WinMo first came out there wasn't much in the way of competition. The smartphone era had just begun. They were in essence, helping to mold the smartphones we see today. Them along with Blackberry & a couple others. But now we live in the world of smartphones. The technology has been around for almost 10+ years. 10 years of which Palm helped play a major role in, but then to release a incomplete and poorly built device is inexcusable. The whole 1.0 OS excuse is getting old and lame. People aren't asking them for totally new features. They are looking for things that other phones have been doing for years. Other Palm phones included. They released this POS when and how they did, out of desperation. All the hype was just that...hype. They raised everyone's expectations so they could make a quick buck and raise their quarterly profits and now we are paying for it. Then they try to pacify us and keep the fanboys happy with bogus updates & bullcrap press releases about SDK & Third Party App Developers hopping on-board. How about a real update that actually does something other than change the Version # on the Device Info page. How about giving us a press release when they actually have something of use to say.

On another note, I went after work & picked up my 4th Pre today. It's a official. I averaged a Pre a week since it's release. Must be a record. I guess the Pre fanboys will call that a 1.0 OS issue too. Funny, I never had that problem with any of my WinMo phones. Scratch that, I never had that problem with ANY phone I have ever owned. Scratch that, I have never had that problem with ANYTHING I have ever owned!!! Guess I caught the "1.0 OS Bug"
    Why did you even bother getting a 4th? Why not return it and move to another device that meets your needs and expectations. Your gonna end up stuck with it..., and when sprint won't let you out of contract it's gonna be your own fault....
    The definition of insanity can be said to be doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...or something like that....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    You'd be absolutely right about them needing to have every feature of other current smart phones...if they had had the OS in development for 5 years. They don't.

Again, you're demanding it be held up to a standard that doesn't exist anywhere else in the smart phone market. Both of the other two most recent new OS's came out with a number of deficiencies and features that were not available that could be found in WinMo, Blackberry, and even POS. As I said, even PocketPC when it came out was lacking in some ways compared to the other guy on the scene in Palm. You are randomly and oddly picking a standard out of the air that no other mobile OS has been held to. So yes, congratulations, it failts your test. The rest of the world doesn't care because no one uses your test that "brand new OS must have all features of other modern OS's". Hell, if that's a requirement than Windows Mobile doesn't fit the bill because the "Modern" OS's of iPhoneOS, Android, and WebOS are all focused with a touch friendly UI while Windows Mobile needs additional programs layered on top of it to even get close to being able to claim such a thing.

Yes, the Pre was a lot of hype. However, a great deal of the hype for the "fan boys" was not what it was going to do out of the gate but the potential of it. If YOU expected God wrapped up in a black plastic casing that's your fault, not Palms. It does everything they implied or stated it would do, save for a few absurd claims by McNamee that were clearly framed in a way that he was talking about the potential for the Pre in the future.

The thing is far from a POS (not the OS), leaps and bounds away. Its far from a perfect product and I'd never recommend any WinMo guy that is a giant tinkerer and lover of ROM updates to switch over, but its a great foundation to build upon for the hardcore and does fine for the "average" smart phone user.

The one thing I would agree with you in is the build quality, which has nothing to do with the OS which seems to be where the majority of your complaints are and where I felt its unwarranted. They should've attempted to go with HTC if possible, even if it meant a $50 price increase, because the build quality is poor. Mind you, I love the design and its another place that Palm knocked it out of the park as it does feel great in your hand or pocket, the gesture area is intuitive and smart, and the keyboards great. But the defects in a number of Pre's IS a problem and one that Palm needs to fix quickly be it by switching manufacturers at some point or demanding further quality control.
    Anyone familiar with WinMo phones knows that on XDA they build apps almost daily. About 90% replicate an app on the iPhone. Now as apps come out for WebOS a good percentage of WinMo apps will be to copy these. So the moral of the story; why go with a pretender? By the way I actually liked my WinMo phone, but fully admit to wishing it was as good as an iPhone and now a Pre.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burgertime View Post
    Anyone familiar with WinMo phones knows that on XDA they build apps almost daily. About 90% replicate an app on the iPhone.
    Wow. Just wow.

I wouldn't call out in your first post anyone "familiar with WinMo Phones" and XDA and then make such an idiotic claim that 90% of what they do there is replicate apps on the iphone.

I know in the Touch Diamond forum alone as there were numerous acceleromater apps, the majority of which were not just iPhone clones. Not to mention the plethora of ROM updates throughout the forum.

Yeah, there is a segment of the WinMo crowd that is looking for ways to give an "iPhone" like feel (Hell, me along with a guy named MusicMan over on PPCgeeks put out the iCube reskin for the TouchFlo Cube on the HTC Touch/Vogue so you could say I'm one of them). However, often times its not so much a desire to have an iPhone as it is either:

1. Borrowing what works on there and intigrating it into an OS they feel is superior over all.
    2. Showing that hey, we can have all the benefits of WinMo AND be able to still do all your little iPhone stuff.

Its not so much a Pretender as it is "We just want you to know, anything you can do we can do too".
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 07/07/2009 at 07:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Why did you even bother getting a 4th? Why not return it and move to another device that meets your needs and expectations. Your gonna end up stuck with it..., and when sprint won't let you out of contract it's gonna be your own fault....
    The definition of insanity can be said to be doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...or something like that....
    Not insanity. There is a method to my madness. I bothered to get another Pre or 4 Pre's for a couple reasons.

1. I refuse to pay a $35 restocking. Well I read somewhere on this forum that Sprint really isn't allowed to charge you for restocking. Only if you get a different phone. Well needless to say I didn't learn about that until I was into my 3rd one, working on a 4th.

2. Was gonna sell it but Sprint rep told me the phone couldn't be re-activated until after 30 days plus it had to be activated that long to get my mail-in rebate so I was stuck with it. Sprint rep also told me I wouldn't get my $150 upgrade back if I returned it so my plan was to keep it for 30 days, sell it at a profit so I could then take the money and purchase the Touch Pro 2 when it drops. Which is still the plan. I now have a brand new Pre to sell. Well not exactly new but it was only activated for about an hour before I re-activated my Touch Pro.

3. Believe it or not, I actually like the look and feel of the phone. And the touch GUI is beautiful. Better than any phone I have ever owned. That's why I bought it in the first place. It has a distinctive, sexy look to it, even though I have suffered a few jokes about how it looks like a woman's make-up compact.
    I was hoping that Palm would release some improvements in the first month that would sway me to keep it. I do a lot of complaining but all in all, a Pre with no manufacturing defects is actually a nice phone. It just doesn't touch on all of my needs. I just can't see it being my main phone when I can't forward a text, tether, or voice dial a # through my Jawbone with it. I can do all of those things with my Instinct & Touch Pro and a whole lot more.

So this will be my last post as a Pre owner, I have a couple potential buyers. I wish all of you guys luck with your Pre's. It definitely has potential. I just can't sit around waiting and hoping Palm stops dragging their feet.
  8.    #48  
    OP here.

I'm glad at least some folks are getting my point (and to reiterate): it's not about the 30 apps now, it's about where they will be come August/September. I love the phone, but we're all gambling that Palm WILL deliver. And I certainly hope they will. But we won't know until time moves along, and the App Catalog (hopefully) grows in size, selection, and quality. I, for one, hope Palm solves the inexcusable issue of a way to pay for apps. That's primarily a business decision, and anyone left holding the bag on this on at Palm ought to be shown the door at this point. This should have been decided MONTHS ago. My vote is for Paypal.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123