Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Hmmm, good question:

1) start with more apps from the get go
    2) if that was not possible at all, release the Mojo SDK privately to a larger group of folks, possibly making heavy use of a forum to compensate for lack of human support
    3) provide better communication (i.e. maybe blog updates a few times a week, maybe even daily)
    4) Or, release the SDK publicly, but release it in 1.0 beta form ensuring that it works. Keep the new features in a private beta. There are a lot of basic apps (no, not iFart) that I'm sure folks would love (and I'm sure homebrewers are working on them as we speak) and would add value to their device, but unfortunately they can't do much right now.

At the end of the day I'm not the one betting the farm on a new phone and a new platform, but I sure hope it's worth it.
  2.    #22  
    I guess I should edit the title of the thread to read "do you want to REMAIN #4" to be more accurate...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I've already gotten 2 apps written since the sdk leaked, so building the apps without docs is doable so I would imagine we should see apps come in fast once the official sdk is out and they start distributing the apps.

btw - the handango.com pre apps seem to be just palmos apps
    I've been one to say in other posts that Palm released too early and all that.

But now I am thinking that Palm really had no choice and bring out what they had when they did... they were running on fumes and needed to get the phone out and put the app store out even if on beta to make a showing. I think they would have been better waiting but maybe they just couldnt.

I guess better now or never.

Quote Originally Posted by av1atrx View Post
    I'm not the OP, but I think they should have had more apps available when the phone launched. They knew and are even exploiting the fact that they are trying to draw people away from the iPhone. One of the biggest thing Apple has going for them is apps. We all love them (I own an iPod Touch) and were hoping that the Pre would be an instant alternative to the iPhone.

I have a Pre because I live in a rural area that AT&T has no plans for service in the future. Sprint is my only option. I am looking forward to the apps becoming available.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    Win Mo phones do excactly what they are supposed to do which is more than I can say for this God forsaken crap aka the Pre.
    False - my Treo 750 (old, I know) running 6.1 cannot hold a tether for a whole business day. Or, it'll randomly stop syncing emails. Everyone I know at work (and we all use WinMo devices) has similar issues, with new phones and old.
    Still can't get it through my head why people hate MS so much. Your right, it it isn't broke there is no need to fix it. Win Mo phones do excactly what they are supposed to do which is more than I can say for this God forsaken crap aka the Pre. My Touch Pro & Mogul with Win Mo 6.1 runs circles around this joke of a phone and I'm not even talking apps. Basic things like text forwarding, dictionaries, user assignable alerts, voice activated dialing, simple cut, copy, paste functions, tethering, PC syncing...and the list goes on and on. MS is and has been on top for the one reason that all the other fanboys (Palm, Apple, Linux...) seem to forget. It suplies good products that work! So while all of you Palm fanboys will be sitting around waiting and wishing the next update brings you something good, I'll have sold this piece of crap and got the new Touch Pro2 and still be multi-tasking, surfing the net and whatever else they try and say this phone does so good...wait a second. I was doing that on my PPC6700 Apache with Win Mo 5.1 like 4 years ago!
    I can agree with some of this, the phone/hardware is crap(cheap), the OS is not. We are hanging our hopes on Palm and that does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy. they did release the pre as beta and the reason i believe its exclusive, on the Sprint network for the first 6 months. Sprint has a smaller customer base and customers are hungry for a good PDA, we are the ginny pigs. Others will pay the same price in 2010 for what should be an improved os & hardware, that irks me. And no pattern or word from palm in regards to os updates / fixes that are needed only leaves me to wonder. And the SDK now leaking on the internet?? i think this was Palm feeling some pressure and dont have the resources to even get the apps approved that were written! There are lots of concerns at least from my view point
    Still can't get it through my head why people hate MS so much. Your right, it it isn't broke there is no need to fix it. Win Mo phones do excactly what they are supposed to do which is more than I can say for this God forsaken crap aka the Pre. My Touch Pro & Mogul with Win Mo 6.1 runs circles around this joke of a phone and I'm not even talking apps. Basic things like text forwarding, dictionaries, user assignable alerts, voice activated dialing, simple cut, copy, paste functions, tethering, PC syncing...and the list goes on and on. MS is and has been on top for the one reason that all the other fanboys (Palm, Apple, Linux...) seem to forget. It suplies good products that work! So while all of you Palm fanboys will be sitting around waiting and wishing the next update brings you something good, I'll have sold this piece of crap and got the new Touch Pro2 and still be multi-tasking, surfing the net and whatever else they try and say this phone does so good...wait a second. I was doing that on my PPC6700 Apache with Win Mo 5.1 like 4 years ago!
    Now, I'm not a Microsoft hater by any stretch (they're a big client, and hell, I even like Vista), but Win Mo is absolutely crap. It's got a face only a mother (or IT guys) could love.

I had a Mogul for three days (which I could've kept free of charge), and when it was first placed in my hand I thought it was the sure-fire replacement for my BB, but after only a day or two with the clunky OS, I'd MUCH rather just carry around a laptop. Sure, it's a VERY capable OS, but the user experience is just a mess. Pre is WAY better, even with it's limitations, IMO.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
    False - my Treo 750 (old, I know) running 6.1 cannot hold a tether for a whole business day. Or, it'll randomly stop syncing emails. Everyone I know at work (and we all use WinMo devices) has similar issues, with new phones and old.
    Well not sure what or how you guys are tethering your phones but I have my Touch Pro tethered to my laptop all day, everyday while I'm at work and I can surf & text with no problems. The only time it disconnects is when I take/make a phone call, and from my research I haven't found a phone that let's you do both. As to the email sync, I can't speak to that because I have mine set to manual syncs. Got tired of getting a reminder everytime I got a email. New texts reminders are bad enough.

Now by no means am I trying to say that Win Mo doesn't have it's faults, but it works and when 7.0 hits, things will get better. Plus with the 10 "gazillion" apps/programs and games out there I really don't see where this new OS can get a foothold. It took Apple 3 years to finally start to make a dent and with Android starting to look better it doesn't look good for Palm. They release a crappy phone in my opinion, with miminal support (almost non-exsistent) for their new OS, doesn't lead me to believe they wanted this thing to make an impact. Well at least not this version of it. It may get better by the time they release it to other providers but by that time most will be scared off by such a poor showing of the original.
    Its sad that the mobile phone business has now become an "app race"
    All of this "They should have released the Pre with more apps" talk is super stupid.

More apps would have cost more time. Palm could not afford to wait several months for an app catalog to grow for a launch. Beyond that, it makes absolutely no business sense to do that when your phone is ready to go otherwise.

I am glad they released it when they did and I absolutely do not agree that Palm should have waited, or could have been more successful, if they waited for a large app library before launching.

Look at game consoles. When they launch, they launch with an average of 6 games available. People can chose, if they want, to wait for more games to be available before they buy, but those that love new tech can buy right away.

Then again I'd have bought the Pre in March, if I could have, knowing it was a work in progress, and been quite happy.
    Still can't get it through my head why people hate MS so much. Your right, if it isn't broke there is no need to fix it. Win Mo phones do excactly what they are supposed to do which is more than I can say for this God forsaken crap aka the Pre. My Touch Pro & Mogul with Win Mo 6.1 runs circles around this joke of a phone and I'm not even talking apps. Basic things like text forwarding, dictionaries, user assignable alerts, voice activated dialing, simple cut, copy, paste functions, tethering, PC syncing...and the list goes on and on. MS is and has been on top for the one reason that all the other fanboys (Palm, Apple, Linux...) seem to forget. It suplies good products that work! So while all of you Palm fanboys will be sitting around waiting and wishing the next update brings you something good, I'll have sold this piece of crap and got the new Touch Pro2 and still be multi-tasking, surfing the net and whatever else they try and say this phone does so good...wait a second. I was doing that on my PPC6700 Apache with Win Mo 5.1 like 4 years ago!
    Wow. That was profound. Here's my take... I run Windows 7 as the primary OS on my MacBook Pro, and so I think I qualify as a Microsoft proponent. But Windows Mobile is an archaic OS that is more often than not paired with insufficient memory (for whatever reason) and flaky hardware. My Mogul was the single worst device I've ever had the displeasure to use, and no amount of tweaking or third-party hacks could make it functional. My Touch Pro was even worse--it was pretty and all, but WinMo just isn't made for touch and is impossible to use without a stylus no matter how HTC or anyone else gussies it up. And when I sold the Touch Pro on eBay and went back to my Mogul, THAT seemed fast to me. By the way, don't get me started on rickety sliders--both of those POS devices felt like they were going to spontaneously disintegrate at the next stiff wind. I was embarrassed to slide them open in the office, they made so much noise, and I know Yugos that lasted longer than the sliding mechanisms on those things. Incidentally, my Pre connected to my work Exchange server via EAS in a fraction of the time it took me to get my Mogul or my Touch Pro to do so. And neither of those ever stayed connected--either contacts or the calendar or tasks would inevitably corrupt, causing the inescapable Activesync failures that were impossible to resolve. Google "Windows Mobile Exchange Activesync problem" and you'll see what I mean. My Pre is a Godsend compared to my Windows Mobile devices, and I say that as an atheist. I'd get a sex change operation and join a convent before I'd go back to Windows Mobile.

There, see? You're not the only one who can write run-on paragraphs. Difference is, I'm guessing I have more experience with Windows Mobile than you do with the Pre, which makes my rant just that much better than yours.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Wow. That was profound. Here's my take... I run Windows 7 as the primary OS on my MacBook Pro, and so I think I qualify as a Microsoft proponent. But Windows Mobile is an archaic OS that is more often than not paired with insufficient memory (for whatever reason) and flaky hardware. My Mogul was the single worst device I've ever had the displeasure to use, and no amount of tweaking or third-party hacks could make it functional. My Touch Pro was even worse--it was pretty and all, but WinMo just isn't made for touch and is impossible to use without a stylus no matter how HTC or anyone else gussies it up. And when I sold the Touch Pro on eBay and went back to my Mogul, THAT seemed fast to me. By the way, don't get me started on rickety sliders--both of those POS devices felt like they were going to spontaneously disintegrate at the next stiff wind. I was embarrassed to slide them open in the office, they made so much noise, and I know Yugos that lasted longer than the sliding mechanisms on those things. Incidentally, my Pre connected to my work Exchange server via EAS in a fraction of the time it took me to get my Mogul or my Touch Pro to do so. And neither of those ever stayed connected--either contacts or the calendar or tasks would inevitably corrupt, causing the inescapable Activesync failures that were impossible to resolve. Google "Windows Mobile Exchange Activesync problem" and you'll see what I mean. My Pre is a Godsend compared to my Windows Mobile devices, and I say that as an atheist. I'd get a sex change operation and join a convent before I'd go back to Windows Mobile.

There, see? You're not the only one who can write run-on paragraphs. Difference is, I'm guessing I have more experience with Windows Mobile than you do with the Pre, which makes my rant just that much better than yours.
    Well maybe not. I have been running WinMo phones since WinMo 2003 on my i930, then PPC6700, PPC6800, Touch and now Touch Pro. So your guess on having more experience with WinMo phones is a bad one...just like the guess I took on thinking this POS was better than other phones on the market. So just because you have had 2 WinMo phones and run Windows 7 doesn't make you a proponent for anything and it certainly doesn't make your rant any better. As to your problems with build design, well I never had any problems out of my sliders or noise when opening (I wouldn't call the Pre quiet) but I'm sure they was a few. One thing I can almost gaurentee is Sprint didn't have as many phones replaced and exchanged for those problems as they have had in just the first month after the Pre's release. Read a little and count how many people are on their 3rd and 4th Pre's already. I had my Mogul replaced twice in the 13 months I had it and that was from me dropping it and breaking it. I've had my Touch Pro from launch & have had no issues but here it is a month in and I'm on my 3rd Pre (or POS as I like to call it) As to your problem with EAS, well nothing is perfect. Let's look up how many problems people have had with the Pre with something as simple as transfrerring contacts over from another phone. Let's Google "Palm Pre Problems" well let's just Google "Palm Pre" and see how hits you get talking about the problems people are having with this POS.

There, see? I can continue to right run-on paragraphs. Difference is, I know I have more experience with Windows Mobile than you do with the Pre, probably phones in general, which makes my rant just that much better than yours. Oh, I Googled "Transexual Convents" for you but could only find "Problems with Palm Pre".
    Last edited by klbjr; 07/05/2009 at 12:57 PM.
    So your guess on having more experience with WinMo phones is a bad one...just like the guess I took on thinking this POS was better than other phones on the market.
    Not what I said. I said I have more experience with WinMo than you do with the Pre. In other words, I'm better able to judge WinMo than you are to judge the Pre.

Get it?

Incidentally, I also owned a few iPAQs and a Dell. So, I've a fair bit more experience with WinMo than just with my Mogul and Touch Pro POSes.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theromanone View Post
    still, their ability to use the xda forums and cooked roms was simply amazing.. could completely change the battery life, media/file/business capabilities, signal issues, speed of the phone with a simple ROM.
    I want a phone, not a hobby, and trust me i've been down the Xda Path..
    At the end of they day i just wanted a phone that was usable out of the box

And i agree with wynand32 and everything that was said about the mogul...worst phone ever
    that thing had trouble keeping up when typing txts!! deficient memory much?
    Not what I said. I said I have more experience with WinMo than you do with the Pre. In other words, I'm better able to judge WinMo than you are to judge the Pre.

Get it?

Incidentally, I also owned a few iPAQs and a Dell. So, I've a fair bit more experience with WinMo than just with my Mogul and Touch Pro POSes.
    Of course he doesn't "get it." It doesn't fit with his preplanned agenda (no pun intended). Stop interrupting his rants with logic and thinking.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Get it?

Well I'm not gonna get into a pissing match on who has the most experience. I bow to your "God-like WinMo Experience", but I have also owned an iPAQ and a couple Acer PDAs (forgot which model #'s. It's been a while) Thought we were talking about WinMo Smartphones not just the OS. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course he doesn't "get it." It doesn't fit with his preplanned agenda (no pun intended). Stop interrupting his rants with logic and thinking.

I'm all for logic and thinking and I have no pre-planned agenda. Don't have one now, didn't have one when I reserved my Pre, didn't have one when I waited in line to get it and didn't have one when I had to get it replaced 2 times within a month. Still don't have one as I contemplate on taking it back to get another replacement. 3 times in less than 35 days. Must be a new record in the world of cell phones. I'm just voicing my opinion on how my experience with the Pre compares to my WinMo experience. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me one thing this phone does so much better than WinMo. Or something this phone can do that current WinMo phones can/haven't been doing. Is WinMo slow at times...yes, but that isn't WinMo's fault that phone manufactures produce phones with insufficient amounts of RAM to run the OS. It would be the same if you try to run Windows on a desktop or laptop with 64 or 128 MB of RAM. Or OSX or Linux for that matter. Granted it may not be pretty but it works and does everything this phone can do with almost other limitless capabilities while this phone & OS, in it's current state is just limited. Maybe in a few months or when the next WebOs device comes out and Palm finally addresses it's shortcomings, then maybe WinMo & Apple may have to start worrying, BUT right now I see no reason to leave your current phone & OS unless you are just really looking for a change.
    I agree with some of your points, but it's hard to take you seriously with that avatar. If you want people to actually listen to and respect what you have to say I'd change it.

Well I'm not gonna get into a pissing match on who has the most experience. I bow to your "God-like WinMo Experience", but I have also owned an iPAQ and a couple Acer PDAs (forgot which model #'s. It's been a while) Thought we were talking about WinMo Smartphones not just the OS. I apologize.

I'm all for logic and thinking and I have no pre-planned agenda. Don't have one now, didn't have one when I reserved my Pre, didn't have one when I waited in line to get it and didn't have one when I had to get it replaced 2 times within a month. Still don't have one as I contemplate on taking it back to get another replacement. 3 times in less than 35 days. Must be a new record in the world of cell phones. I'm just voicing my opinion on how my experience with the Pre compares to my WinMo experience. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me one thing this phone does so much better than WinMo. Or something this phone can do that current WinMo phones can/haven't been doing. Is WinMo slow at times...yes, but that isn't WinMo's fault that phone manufactures produce phones with insufficient amounts of RAM to run the OS. It would be the same if you try to run Windows on a desktop or laptop with 64 or 128 MB of RAM. Or OSX or Linux for that matter. Granted it may not be pretty but it works and does everything this phone can do with almost other limitless capabilities while this phone & OS, in it's current state is just limited. Maybe in a few months or when the next WebOs device comes out and Palm finally addresses it's shortcomings, then maybe WinMo & Apple may have to start worrying, BUT right now I see no reason to leave your current phone & OS unless you are just really looking for a change.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I agree with some of your points, but it's hard to take you seriously with that avatar. If you want people to actually listen to and respect what you have to say I'd change it.
    Well I don't post for respect and people can take from it what they want. I post facts, not fanboy comments. I talk about real legitimate problems and downfalls of the Palm Pre. I also speak up when I see fanboys twisting the facts when talking about other OS' when compared to the Pre's. I buy every phone with an open mind. I never complained about my Instinct and what it couldn't do when compared to my WinMo phones because I knew it wasn't in the same class regardless of what the hype was. It was a touch PHONE with cool features, simple and plain. Do I complain when the Pre was hyped to be a smartphone, comparable to the iphone and other top smartphones on the market, when in reality there is nothing smart about it? Yes I do. Do I complain when barely a month after release I'm on my 3rd phone and working on getting a 4th because of shotty manufacturing? Yes I do. Call it high expectations or bad pre-release info, but I can't recall ever being this disappointed in a phone. And the whole "It's a 1st generation phone" and "Updates will fix it" excuse only leaves a more sour taste in my mouth. Regardless of what some people on these forums may think, $300 in this day and time is not easy to come by. I actually work hard for my money and when I spend it I would like to think I am at least getting a mostly finished product. Not a work in progress.
    When did Windows Mobile (Windows CE) get released to handsets (phones and/or PDA)? Take that answer and apply it to how long has it been available to developers?

Nuff said, pointless post. /thread.
    careful what u ask for (regarding apps) we only have 8gb of space.
    keep focus on the main features u need (me:great browser, email, text,calender) ur phone to do.
    pandora
    movie app
    weather
    i dont need aaaaaany other. less is more.
    ohio state SUCKS!! & michigan state will never measure up!
    p.s. lakers SUCK too!! GO PISTONS!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast