Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Hey Buy,

I read your story and was surprised at the way you have been treated. Since I have gotten back with sprint my experience has been great. A friend of mine told me a similar story with T-mobile and her G1. I don't remember exactly I can ask again if youd like and find out. but I think she wrote a letter about it and sent it to t-mobile and better business Bureau. Somehow it got alot of attention and she got a phonecall from someone from coorporate. They gave her two G1's (her and her boyfriend) and 2 years of free service! I have heard of others who complained in a similar format. These companies will do anything to stay out of the limelight of negative news. and the bbb is a great resource for people who are mistreated as you have been in this situation.
    I fell and hit my head! gravity sucks! end of story!
    I guess it just depends on what store you go to. I am on my 4th Pre, first 3 were real bad. The 4th has a couple of dead pixels and a wobbly slider/screen. I was told originally after the getting the 4th that I would have to call Sprint direct to replace the next one. Of course, I called Sprint and talked to a nice lady from Account Services(ie. Retentions) who said usually they would be able to replace the phone, but for now, they are not allowed to replace the PRE. I have to go back to the store. She called the store for me and they set up an appointment to look at my device. I know it will be a matter of opinion as to whether the wobbly slider/screen and dead pixels warrant another exchange. To be honest, if they could tighten the screen/slider so it doesn't wiggle, I would be fine with the 2 dead pixels. I have been with Sprint 10 1/2 years and I have learned that yelling gets you no where. Just stay calm and be very polite. Turn it around and ask them would they keep this phone or would they exchange it?

I will see Tuesday how my situation works out. Hopefully you will work your problem out. My advice, call the store direct and make an appointment to see the Manager. When you get there apologize for past outbursts. Then turn it around on him and ask him how he would handle this problem if it was him.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
    First, dude don't take any of this personal.
    so your statement that 'sprint sucks, end of story' is inaccurate- sprint sucks FOR YOU, not for me.
    That's accurate. But considering that Sprint has the worst reputation for customer service with the major carriers, I would probably revise your satement to "Sprint doesn't suck for me".

Quote Originally Posted by chrissurra View Post
    Coming from a man who doesnt know how to return a cell phone within its warranty time frame that wouldnt be an insult. Do you want me to go with you hold your hand, maybe pat you on your head and return it for you?

So much for your verbal beat down buckaroo.
    Ah, chris- you wanna hold my hand? I'm flattered. I like girls though, and I only like it when my head's patted by them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DuStU View Post
    Hey Buy,

I read your story and was surprised at the way you have been treated. Since I have gotten back with sprint my experience has been great. A friend of mine told me a similar story with T-mobile and her G1. I don't remember exactly I can ask again if youd like and find out. but I think she wrote a letter about it and sent it to t-mobile and better business Bureau. Somehow it got alot of attention and she got a phonecall from someone from coorporate. They gave her two G1's (her and her boyfriend) and 2 years of free service! I have heard of others who complained in a similar format. These companies will do anything to stay out of the limelight of negative news. and the bbb is a great resource for people who are mistreated as you have been in this situation.
    Please do! Shoot me a PM if you get a chance. I have no doubt that I'll be able to return my phone eventually, but considering that they had meetings to expressly make sure that people get charged a false fee, I think I've got a responsibility to ensure that Sprint corporate knows about the issue. If that includes the public knowing their underhanded ways as well, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    I fell and hit my head! gravity sucks! end of story!
    Why don't you switch to a different gravity provider, or switch your defective head with another one?

Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    I will see Tuesday how my situation works out. Hopefully you will work your problem out. My advice, call the store direct and make an appointment to see the Manager. When you get there apologize for past outbursts. Then turn it around on him and ask him how he would handle this problem if it was him.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm sure it will work itself out. I'm pretty confident that the manager is the problem, considering that they called him at my request to get to the bottom of the charge, and he reiterated their stance. Luckily for me, I'm a persistent sonnava*****.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Dont even want to get into the OP's story.

But I do want to say that-

I'm always puzzled by the people that take things so personaly about the brands they have picked. There seem to be people that do it with any provider. "my provider is perfect, the others all suck, anyone on another provider is a moron, and if you dislike my choice or dont see things the way I do than you too must be a *****"

Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    In regard to the restocking fee requirements, there is none on a defective device. I'm not cancelling my service (yet), I simply want a phone that works as intended. On the bottom of the receipt it states "a $35 restocking fee will be charged to exchange a device for a different model or color. This fee does not apply to returns and will be collected when the device is exchanged." I wasn't exchanging the device for anything different, just the same Palm Pre. Unbelievably, they attempted to use the same policy as justification for charging me.
    Hmm.... the language there is the problem. It does state "...to exchange a device for a different model or color", which could be interpreted as a different model of the same phone, not necessarily a different kind of phone. That is probably what that particular rep/store was trying to do.

I do think you should try to talk to management again, as someone else suggested. The manufacture warranty is for 1 year--- you can exchange it as many times as you want if there is a manufacturer defect, so them telling you you can only do 1 exchange is complete crap.

Hope everything works out for you!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Wow. Just Wow. If the local corporate store weren't a similar wasteland of incompetence I'd be even more surprised.

A. You do need your box, manual, charger, etc. to exchange the phone as a 30-day swap. The reasoning is that Sprint cannot return a loose phone to the warehouse if they expect a replacement unit. Full packaging is required, your receipt is not since as you said they have the sale on file.

B. A 30-day swap for a defective unit can be done as many times as is needed to get you a unit you are happy with. However since the Pre is in such short supply it doesn't surprise me that some stores are telling people they only get one exchange, but that is not the Sprint policy. Also if you purchased at a corporate store ANY other corporate store can do the replacement (again assuming you have your packaging).

C. If the store is out of stock on the Pre you may consider taking advantage of the Service and Repair replacement (Advanced Exchange), this will likely replace your phone with a refurb unit, but it doesn't require the box, etc. to do the swap, plus you can inspect the replacement unit and if it doesn't meet your standards you can refuse it and ask the S&R center to order as many as it takes to get one you are happy with.

D. The $35 restocking fee is ONLY for color swaps or changing to a different phone model, but the restocking fee will be waived if your current phone is defective and you wanted a different model (ex: Your Pre is defective so you swap to a Blackberry, there is no fee). They may have been wanting you to pay the restocking fee since you don't have the box for your Pre (that packaging thing is a big deal for us and will frankly cost them more than the $35).

If there is anything I missed just let me know.
    Last edited by yoshk; 06/28/2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: edited for spelling
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    LOL. I was PISSED. Told everyone in the store that they were going to have to pay a $35 fee if they had a defective phone and wanted a new one. According to the monkeys behind the counter, I wasn't lying. They still didn't like me doing it, though.
    "Monkeys behind the counter"?
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    Wow. Just Wow. If the local corporate store weren't a similar wasteland of incompetence I'd be even more surprised.

A. You do need your box, manual, charger, etc. to exchange the phone as a 30-day swap. The reasoning is that Sprint cannot return a loose phone to the warehouse if they expect a replacement unit. Full packaging is required, your receipt is not since as you said they have the sale on file.

B. A 30-day swap for a defective unit can be done as many times as is needed to get you a unit you are happy with. However since the Pre is in such short supply it doesn't surprise me that some stores are telling people they only get one exchange, but that is not the Sprint policy. Also if you purchased at a corporate store ANY other corporate store can do the replacement (again assuming you have your packaging).

C. If the store is out of stock on the Pre you may consider taking advantage of the Service and Repair replacement (Advanced Exchange), this will likely replace your phone with a refurb unit, but it doesn't require the box, etc. to do the swap, plus you can inspect the replacement unit and if it doesn't meet your standards you can refuse it and ask the S&R center to order as many as it takes to get one you are happy with.

D. The $35 restocking fee is ONLY for color swaps or chaging to a different phone model, but the restocking fee will be waived if your current phone is defective and you wanted a different model (ex: Your Pre is defective so you swap to a Blackberry, there is no fee). They may have been wanting you to pay the restocking fee since you don't have the box for your Pre (that packaging thing is a big deal for us and will frankly cost them more than the $35).

If there is anything I missed just let me know.
    Thanks for shedding some light on this matter! There are mistakes made at every company, I can attest to that. Sprint has been nothing but good to me and I know they will make this right for the OP. I hope it didn't ruin his impression of the pre for good. btw, are you on these boards as an agent for sprint or did you sneak a pre?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I've recently had to call sprint to get some billing stuff straightened out. Everyone I called and talked to bent over backwards to help me and make sure I did not get off the phone unless I was totally happy.

Sucks for the op I guess.
    Coming from a man who doesnt know how to return a cell phone within its warranty time frame that wouldnt be an insult. Do you want me to go with you hold your hand, maybe pat you on your head and return it for you?
    Dude stop. Just stop.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    .....btw, are you on these boards as an agent for sprint or did you sneak a pre?
    As a 3rd party dealer I read these boards for good information about the Pre and to maybe answer some folks questions regarding Sprint. Most 3rd party dealers have neither received any training for the Pre nor received any units to sell. One of my employees sneaked a Pre through a loophole, but I am not so lucky.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I exchanged my Pre once at a store that was not the store I originally bought it at (both were brick and mortar stores).

The second time I wanted to exchange my Pre, I went back to the original store I bought it from. The manager there claimed the same thing as the O.P. - only one exchange for defective items. He told me they would order a replacement for $120. I told him this was ridiculous because I encountered the same problems twice (dead pixels). He said it was a strict Sprint Policy. I told him I could return the phone and just buy a new one at the spot. He said he didn't have any more Pres in stock, which I knew was a lie, because I called in just 5 minutes before and they told me that they did.

I stormed out and called customer service. They then proceeded to call the manager I talked to because that was not in line with sprint's actual policy. They should allow as many exchanges as you want within a 30 day period. The lady over the phone instructed me to call sprint Customer Service in Store the next time a manager had such a problem, and have the manager talk to the Sprint CSR Rep.

I will definitely be doing this if I run into this problem next time.

Of note, the store I had no problem with exchanges was a store that had both sales and repair in store - a full service brick and mortar. The store that gave me guff was a store that did not have a repair department. You can check this with the Sprint Locator site at Sprint Store Locator

Hope this helps someone.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I just noticed that the title of the OP's six paragraph post says "End of story"
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpanwalking View Post
    Dude stop. Just stop.
    Mind your business.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post

Thanks for all the info you've provided- it has certainly shed some light into Sprint's actual policies. The part quoted above is interesting. I wasn't trying to keep an entire box, just simply swap phone for phone. I made that clear to the people at Sprint, so I apologize if that wasn't clear from my OP. Just so I'm clear- leaving the box with Sprint that the new phone came in would suffice, would it not? I was simply trying to do a phone for phone exchange, not a phone for brand new box with charger, headphones, etc., exchange.

Mind your business.
    Who do you think you are? It's an open forum- anything posted is everyone's business.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    sprint store @ eastlake, chula vista, ca: i did an exchange for a bad pre. no problems, no hassles. i tried to exchange it for a 2nd time the next day at the same store but i was unsuccessful because of their 1 exchange per first 30 days policy. they told me to call a repair center and the center told me i'd get a reconditioned one. i agreed because of the unnacceptable condition of that pre. i went to the center and they ended up giving me a new one that i have now. i think for the most part that i was just lucky.

there's a big difference between sprint stores with repair centers and regular sprint stores. the ones with repair centers are really big and make customer service a priority. they really tried to find that dead pixel that seemed like only i could see; and inspected the keyboard to feel what i was feeling.

the regular sprint store i went to, well, at least the one i went to, was, well, mexican. just kidding. but i felt that they wanted me out asap. they were just into selling. it's probably worse with sprint booths.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Ok I got it..... forget finding that box. Pay money for two things
    1. a GUN
    2. a shirt that says I want a ****ing working pre
    Get a stocking and calmly walk in the store with the ***** manager find him
    Walk up to him and BAM without saying a word..... you have a free pre...maybe 50 free pre's. GOOD LUCK!
    Mind your business.
    Ya'lls drinking is hurting this family!! *runs away*
    I had similar problem to the original poster. Sprint would not exchange my third phone that would restart every time i would close the slider. I called CS and they said to return the phone and go to another sprint store to get a new one. I returned it 5 days ago and i still don't have the money back on my credit card so i called sprint and they said they no record of a returned phone and if they did it would be credited to me account. I though if you returned a product that it would go back to your credit card?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast