1.    #1  
    Has anyone been successful syncing with Amarok.. I know it shows up as an iPod, but when you copy songs over they seem to disappear on the phone. I know I can drag and drop things on like a USB on linux, but it would be nice to use Amarok or even Rhythmbox (which I haven't tried yet since I'm on Kubuntu). I love the way it works with iTunes, but really don't want to have to use Windows.
    Try Songbird.
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by hoppy785 View Post
    Has anyone been successful syncing with Amarok.. I know it shows up as an iPod, but when you copy songs over they seem to disappear on the phone. I know I can drag and drop things on like a USB on linux, but it would be nice to use Amarok or even Rhythmbox (which I haven't tried yet since I'm on Kubuntu). I love the way it works with iTunes, but really don't want to have to use Windows.
    Amarok doesn't write the iTunesDB the same way as iTunes. I tried every iPod model listed, and couldn't get it to work correctly, so I used the "Generic Audio Player" plugin and just transferred songs to a folder in USB Mode. It works fine but the cover art doesn't transfer unless it's embedded in the .mp3 files.

There's instructions on the wiki on how to do this wirelessly here:

pre dev wiki: Wireless Music Sync with Amarok 1.4

Note that if you're using Ubuntu 9.04, you have to jump thru some hoops to install Amarok 1.4 instead of 2.0 (which is rubbish, IMHO) Read this thread in Ubuntu Forums for info, particularly post #21

Amarok 1.4 in Jaunty, Please? (Plus BONUS Amarok2 Rant!) - Page 3 - Ubuntu Forums

-n8
  4.    #4  
    thanks... unfortunately i just dont feel up to using some half way good workaround and resorted to installing a windows xp partition next to my kubuntu pretty much strictly for itunes... now only if windows would allow me to copy files from ext4 ... looks like ill just have to drag over files from kubuntu then boot into windows for itunes... lame. i would use a virtual machine, but my laptop is old and becomes very sluggish when doing so, especially if i had itunes running in it.... im sure there will be a solution eventually, since the pre does run a linux os base
    has anyone tried songbird with a pre and ubuntu 9.04?
    Songbird does not work using the Media Sync method, but it does work using a similar method as above with the Folder Sync addon for Songbird. Basically you mount your pre to /some/folder/name using sshfs, then sync your playlist(s) to that folder. The playlists are .m3u format, and the Pre doesn't always read them.

There isn't an easy plug-and-play sync method on Linux, the Pre is just not that good at pretending to be an iPod, and Linux is not fooled (or maybe Linux apps aren't that good at pretending to be iTunes..)

-n8
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77 View Post
    has anyone tried songbird with a pre and ubuntu 9.04?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...light=songbird
    Bok
    you know. it would be nice if a Linux phone could sync with a linux operating system for once. I've not been able to sync anything with ubuntu or any other distro of linux EVER . Sure, there is drag and drop, but if ubuntu can push out a new distro every 6 months.. maybe take a little time to get some stuff to sync with it too.
    My playlist workaround is this:

My music is stored in a directory called "Music" on my computer. I copied this over to my Pre in USB mode.

I use RhythmBox to create playlists from the music; save in the Music directory in M3U format. Copy these M3U files to the Music directory on the Pre. (If you save anywhere else, you will need to edit them in Text Editor so that the path from the Pre Music folder is correct.)

Works for Music Player and the far better Music Player Remix.

If you have previously used RhythmBox to install music, you must use it again to remove it, otherwise you will find that Music Player Remix points to duplicate empty files.