Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    1) My Treo 755p recognizes phone numbers on web pages and elsewhere. So when one appears, one can select it to dial. I do not see that the Pre supports this? I miss this feature.

2) I find it inconvenient and physically difficult to turn on the phone from the top right button. Other than having to open the phone, is there a way to get the Pre to turn on in an alternative way?, ie: from the button on the bottom face?

3) It is driving me crazy marking emails as unread by having to open them, go to the menu, select 'mark unread' and then leaving the email. On the Treo 755p, I could scroll through my email list and choose such actions without opening the email.

4) I find it difficult to select certain text, or even to get the cursor at the exact current point on screen. Is there a way to put the cursor on screen, then move the cursor left or right, up or down, like was done with the toggle of the 755p. Using a finger doesn't seem to provide the granularity of precision.

5) Is there a way to dismiss an App with a single gesture, within the App. I may be missing this. Now, I have to minimize the App's card, then flick it away.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevekat View Post
    1) My Treo 755p recognizes phone numbers on web pages and elsewhere. So when one appears, one can select it to dial. I do not see that the Pre supports this? I miss this feature.

2) I find it inconvenient and physically difficult to turn on the phone from the top right button. Other than having to open the phone, is there a way to get the Pre to turn on in an alternative way?, ie: from the button on the bottom face?

3) It is driving me crazy marking emails as unread by having to open them, go to the menu, select 'mark unread' and then leaving the email. On the Treo 755p, I could scroll through my email list and choose such actions without opening the email.

4) I find it difficult to select certain text, or even to get the cursor at the exact current point on screen. Is there a way to put the cursor on screen, then move the cursor left or right, up or down, like was done with the toggle of the 755p. Using a finger doesn't seem to provide the granularity of precision.

5) Is there a way to dismiss an App with a single gesture, within the App. I may be missing this. Now, I have to minimize the App's card, then flick it away.
    1) what this a question?
    2) no
    3) huh? was this a question?
    4) hold the orange button and move your finger left or right over the letter
    5)no turn off your phone
    my answers my not be correct nut i think they are its 530am here my brain is not totally here
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Sounds like you should have stuck with that fancy 755p!....lol.

1 - some of the numbers I have found on the web seem to work for me.... In fact I havnt seen one I can't do this with unless I'm not understanding you.

2 - nope... Maybe someday though.

3 - nope..... " "

4 - hold orange button on qwerty key pad and place finger in direction you want... Other than that idk.

5 - nope... At least not that I know of.

All of these are answered with what I have seen. Maybe I havnt seen everything. I do know that this isn't your old phone so try and keep that in mind.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    1. This works for me.

5. I just flick twice. Once from the gesture area and once again from the app card. I see this as an acceptable trade off of not having to close an app to go to another app. My 700p was getting so slow at opening apps it was unbearable.
    2) if you have they keyboard out just press the spacebar.

3) No need to do the menu thing, simply viewing them and then a back gesture marks an email as read.
    2) If you have the keyboard open, press any key.
    1. It works for me

2. No ... rooting?

3. No

4. I have the same frustration using orange button and finger isn't precise, but is much better than tapping like an ***** till you hit the right spot. Needs a dpad or track ball.

5. You're lazy ... lol
    All I have to say is, if they do enable turning on the phone from the center button, I do hope they make it optional. I can't imagine what holster or case or even pocket one could put a Pre into that wouldn't depress the button and inadvertently turn on the phone.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    #1 works too well, if it notices any series of numbers it thinks it's a phone number. (it interprets some order numbers in my emails as phone numbers)

#2 Use the slider and/or keyboard. (I've actually adapted how I hold my device to keep my thumb on the top right side when I hold it in my right hand.

#3 No luck on this, Palm should add a multiple select feature.

#4 As people said, use orange button, you don't even have to be close to the cursor to move it in the right direction, just anywhere on the screen.

#5 This is a little excessive. People could get annoyed with a feature like this by accidentally closing the app. Just work those fingers, it's not gonna kill ya.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    1) Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I must have missed the highlighting of phone numbers on web pages and elsewhere, though I tested a couple of sites - shall try again.

2) I would think there would be a way to engineer the button that resides on the screen to turn on the phone without much inadvertent activation. I really find the top right button hard to manipulate one handed and often do not want or am unable to open the phone. The older Treo turned on from a button push on the face, and this was very handy, though it was a bit protected by the toggle.

3) Not being able to mark emails as unread or otherwise flag them without opening each one is extremely time consuming and inconvenient - was a nice feature on prior Palm devices, ie: 755p. If I do not mark an email as unread, depending on email provider, I cannot see that IMAP email on my desktop email program - with no setting with the service to correct this. Just hurts to go backward on some features. It would seem to flick an email sidways in the list to reveal an option for this...ie: mark as unread, flag, etc. might be desireable. The Messaging App provides options under a message if you move it sideways in the list, ie: delete, cancel.

4) Thanks for the instruction on this - works well enough. Fingers are fat however, compared to pointers or fingernails. A solution, but a clumsy one that requires two hands. The toggle was more effective but I understand having the toggle would not be consistent with the design.

5) Seems ridiculous to me one cannot exit an App from the App. I'd like to see this corrected. The ability for dismissing an App directly seems to make sense, though I guess if one had to access a menu, then dismiss, it would be two actions, equal to what we have now. Dismissing with a unique gesture might be a nice option for those wanted to enable it.

6) While I only have limited use with the Pre, and am impressed by it, I find it difficult to use in many common circumstances, if I do not have two hands fully available. My first thought for improvement, though it might hurt its elegance, is, at the bottom of the screen where the current button resides, a toggle button to move the cursor, a hard button on screen to call up the options menu, and a means to turn on the phone from the screen, button or gesture.
    Last edited by stevekat; 06/28/2009 at 02:36 PM.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    1) I don't understand how you're having problems turning the phone on with the button on the upper right. I have zero issue using my index finger or thumb

2) A quick review of the "getting started" guide would be beneficial. The Palm website also has some nice animated tutorials.

3) It takes a maximum of 2 gestures to exit an application: center button + upswipe on minimized card or upswipe from gesture area + upswipe on minimized card

4) To reiterate number 2, check out the tutorials on Palm's website.
    Last edited by Xyg; 06/28/2009 at 02:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    XYG

1) If you hold the phone in your left hand, resting the bottom of the phone on a lateral pinky, and are using your thumb to select items on screen, no digit is easily available for activating the power button. I tend to hold the Pre in my left hand (being right handed) so that when I sometimes need to bring in a second hand for selection, the more dexterous hand (index finger) is available. I also find one handed use easier with my left hand, though I am right handed.

2) Just feel exiting an App directly (with one action, if possible) might make sense as an option for those who would want to activate the option. Extra unnecessary motions are inefficiency, and could add up to annoyance over time. With web page design, for instance, an extra click is a big deal, as users are undeniably lost with each click required of them. The elegance is getting the user to their goal as simply and efficiently as possible.

A great example is Moviefone.com vs. Movietickets.com. On Moviefone, you put in your zip and get a list of theatres with movies and showtimes visible on screen. On Movietickets.com, you put in your zip and get a list of theatres, then from this list, have to select each theatre to see showtimes, and go back and forth infinitum, to see showtimes for multiple theatres. Extra unnecessary gestures. The former is the better service.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    1) I still don't understand what you're talking about, unless you have *very* small hands. I have no issue accessing the power button with the index finger of my left hand or with the thumb of my right hand. And remember, if you slide the keypad down the screen will activate.

I'm also glad that the center button doesn't activate the screen. Remember that the center button isn't recessed like it is on the iPhone, which means the screen would be turning on and off in your pocket all day long every time the center button is clicked.

2) right, because the two gestures/clicks it would take to exit from inside the application would be so much more efficient than the two gestures it takes to exit from an application now.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    2) The improvement would be a single gesture to dismiss an App, if possible.