Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1.    #1  
    I signed up to pre central just to get some input on the copy and paste feature of the pre. I got the palm pre after using a blackberry 8330 for about a year. The thing thats KILLING me is the that you can only copy text that you are writing yourself. No copying from text, email, or websites defeats the whole purpose of having the feature. Can someone tell me that im wrong!!!! i have no reason to copy my own writing
  2. #2  
    You're not wrong. We'd all like to be able to copy/paste text from any application.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3.    #3  
    okay thanks. to me its like not even having the feature... sorry im repeating my, but why would i want to copy my own text? has anyone found this feature useful?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
    I signed up to pre central just to get some input on the copy and paste feature of the pre. I got the palm pre after using a blackberry 8330 for about a year. The thing thats KILLING me is the that you can only copy text that you are writing yourself. No copying from text, email, or websites defeats the whole purpose of having the feature. Can someone tell me that im wrong!!!! i have no reason to copy my own writing
    really??? u did not know that pre does not have full copy/paste? i thought anyone with half a brain doing some research would know this by now. Unbelievable!!!
  5. #5  
    This was well-known (at least to those you educated themselves) before it was released. It doesn't excuse how incredibly lame it is to be missing, but it wasn't a secret. I have no idea why Palm implemented it so half-assedly, but they did.

    As for why you'd want to copy what you've written: I use it to make memos out of boilerplate tweet items like recurring tags or running topics. (e.g. Why type #iranelections over and over if you can copypasta it?)
  6. #6  
    Something tells me that Palm might address that issue with an update....after all, the iPhone can do it now....
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ipretoo View Post
    really??? u did not know that pre does not have full copy/paste? i thought anyone with half a brain doing some research would know this by now. Unbelievable!!!
    Listen man I know what the pre has and doesnt have. I wrote the post to get some input from other users. if youre going to reply to my post, do so with respect.

    p.s. you wouldnt talk to me like that face to face. trust me!!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    As for why you'd want to copy what you've written: I use it to make memos out of boilerplate tweet items like recurring tags or running topics. (e.g. Why type #iranelections over and over if you can copypasta it?)

    good point on how you use the copy and paste that we do have. but it doesnt work for me because i dont use boilerplate.
  9. #9  
    yeah,theres so many basic things on this phone that are shortcoming,mine may be goin back,my mogul was more useful,just not as pretty
  10. Lito305's Avatar
    Posts
    210 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ipretoo View Post
    really??? u did not know that pre does not have full copy/paste? i thought anyone with half a brain doing some research would know this by now. Unbelievable!!!
    that is what this forum is for buddy!! for people to gain info on the pre... there is no need for you to flame him for not knowing that...
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by farrock02:
    . . . No copying from text, email, or websites defeats the whole purpose of having the feature. Can someone tell me that im wrong!!!! i have no reason to copy my own writing.
    Actually you can cut and paste from e-mails. It works the same as on your desktop. You have to be in reply mode, before it will let you select and copy someone else's message.

    As far as text and web pages go, I've only found a work-around for those. If you use Evernote, you can copy webpages and anything else in the desk version. After it's part of your notes, you can also copy from your mobile Evernote version.

    Everything is in beta version right now so early adopters are using work-arounds and making sure that the Pre has enough of the apps or capabilities that we want, before we pick it up or keep it. You have 30 days. If not being able to copy is a no-go for you, I suggest you return the device and keep your Blackberry. The Blackberry is a more mature device and you'll know up front what it can do and what it can't do.

    The Pre is in it's initial stages. I already love the Pre and it can do things that I've never done with my previous phones (granted my Treo could have done a lot of the things I currently do, but the Pre does it seamlessly and with style.

    The Pre can already do things now that it couldn't do on 6/6/09. I'm sure in 60 to 90 days it will be phenomenal. But if you don't want to take that chance, return it.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
    Listen man I know what the pre has and doesnt have. I wrote the post to get some input from other users. if youre going to reply to my post, do so with respect.

    p.s. you wouldnt talk to me like that face to face. trust me!!
    Why who are you lou ferrigno?

    FYI. Everyone on the internet can bench press a buick and knows several forms of Kung Fu. They all have police officer friends and they all know threatening someone through a forum is as useful as a lead balloon.

    The point is there are many posts on here of people talking about this missing feature and how they feel about it.It didn't need a new thread... ... No one is happy about it, but it's been that way since it was launched.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
    Listen man I know what the pre has and doesnt have. I wrote the post to get some input from other users. if youre going to reply to my post, do so with respect.

    p.s. you wouldnt talk to me like that face to face. trust me!!
    I am sure u are a big beast who can break my bones in no time. That still does not change a word that I typed.

    And of course now you say you have half a brain and u were only eliciting ideas from other users. Whatever!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Actually you can cut and paste from e-mails. It works the same as on your desktop. You have to be in reply mode, before it will let you select and copy someone else's message.

    As far as text and web pages go, I've only found a work-around for those. If you use Evernote, you can copy webpages and anything else in the desk version. After it's part of your notes, you can also copy from your mobile Evernote version.

    Everything is in beta version right now so early adopters are using work-arounds and making sure that the Pre has enough of the apps or capabilities that we want, before we pick it up or keep it. You have 30 days. If not being able to copy is a no-go for you, I suggest you return the device and keep your Blackberry. The Blackberry is a more mature device and you'll know up front what it can do and what it can't do.

    The Pre is in it's initial stages. I already love the Pre and it can do things that I've never done with my previous phones (granted my Treo could have done a lot of the things I currently do, but the Pre does it seamlessly and with style.

    The Pre can already do things now that it couldn't do on 6/6/09. I'm sure in 60 to 90 days it will be phenomenal. But if you don't want to take that chance, return it.
    Thanks for your input, ill look into the copy work arounds that you stated. but copy and paste is not my only issues( I really want the pre to work for). my other issues are battery life and and the lack of spell check( i am aware of the autocorrect)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    that is what this forum is for buddy!! for people to gain info on the pre... there is no need for you to flame him for not knowing that...
    I am sorry. But I see a post like that asking about basic feature that are not included (also video recording. editing documents, changing ringtone options etc) , i think TROLL!
  16. #16  
    True facts. If your gonna post a thread, you should do a thread search 1st. Yeah it may not show the results for you on the 1st results page, but do the forum some favor and take a couple minutes of your precious time and do a little searchin.
    I love lolcats
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by ipretoo:
    I am sorry. But I see a post like that asking about basic feature that are not included (also video recording. editing documents, changing ringtone options etc) , i think TROLL!
    In all honesty, I see someone who joined in June, only made two posts, both same the same thing and with flames showing anger, and I question their integrity too. But just in case they're legit and a newbie who isn't used to searching forums, I take their question seriously.

    If they are a troll, we kill them with kindness and reason, they don't get the reaction they want and they leave. If they aren't a troll, we give them a good welcome and helpful advise. Either way us Pre-ers win.

    Let's face it it- if trolls really had faith in their device, they wouldn't come on our forum to try to convert, upset or sway people away from the Pre. They'd let their device speak for itself and hope that some day we'll see the light. But instead they're here. Just posting in this forum shows the troll's true fear!!!
    Last edited by bdhu2001; 06/27/2009 at 04:34 PM.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
    I signed up to pre central just to get some input on the copy and paste feature of the pre. I got the palm pre after using a blackberry 8330 for about a year. The thing thats KILLING me is the that you can only copy text that you are writing yourself. No copying from text, email, or websites defeats the whole purpose of having the feature. Can someone tell me that im wrong!!!! i have no reason to copy my own writing
    This is probably the single biggest missing feature of the Pre. See another dozen missing features here:

    Palm Pre Tips & Tricks

    I cannot count how many people were stunned to find out that the Pre lacks the basic abilities to easily Cut <Menu><X>, Copy <Menu><C>, and Paste <Menu><V>:
    1. Email
    2. Text messages
    3. Memos
    4. Calendar items
    5. Tasks

    So as long as you don't need a smartphone for those things, the Pre works great!

    And why is it that so many people are fooled into thinking that the latest Palm would have the ability to edit text? It is because since 2003, saying PALM meant that you could edit text. Since 2003, if you made a mistake on your Palm, you could press Undo <Menu><Z>. But today your workaround is simple. Don't ever make a mistake.

    It is like a car manufacturer coming out with it's next generation car and saying:
    Thinking ahead is a beautiful thing

    ...but acting stunned when people just assume your new car has an engine.

    When people buy a car they do not double check that the latest and greatest model has brakes.

    As Palm admits:
    The PalmŪ Pre™ phone lets you tackle your entire workday like never before.

    Palm's first priority needs to be to catch up with the same basic capabilities as the Palm Treo 600 in December of 2003.

    - Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 06/27/2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Add link to Palm Treo 600 CNet review
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post

    p.s. you wouldnt talk to me like that face to face. trust me!!
    I would, tough guy.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I would, tough guy.
    children!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions