Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I bet that Palm will be adding this in another OTA firmware update, So far they have been very open and listening very hard to the public on what is wrong with it. The have even gone so far to make a whole new department for it! Palm may be fixing allot of stuff and when they release the flash and 'officialy' release the SDK, they may also release a tricked out update that will fix allot of problems.

Just my 2 cents...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Originally posted by farrock02:
    Thanks for your input, . . my other issues are battery life and and the lack of spell check( i am aware of the autocorrect)
    For battery life, make sure you have the latest webOS update. You should have webOS 1.0.3. Check in device info from your launcher to be sure you have the current one. If you have webOS 1.0.3, then you should have great improvement over the next couple of days. Basically, you should be able to get through the day and charge your battery overnight (pretty much the same as majority of cell phones).

For battery optimization and getting the full Pre experience while getting the best battery life, I suggest searching the forum for battery optimization threads. There are some great ones in this forum, but I recommend the Ultimate battery saving tips!! thread.

As far as spell checking goes, I've never had a cell phone or smart phone that provided spell check of the entire phone system and apps other than the auto correct that you've mentioned.

I've purchase apps that came with spell check and text completer apps (apps that complete your text or phrase to save key strokes and minimize spelling errors), but I've never had one that came with the phone and spell checked everything. I think we'll have to wait for an app for that. I don't think we'll get an update from Palm that will include system-wide spell check. Of course I wouldn't mind if Palm did an update and proved me wrong.

I tried the things that I normally use for spell checking on my computer, but none of it works on the Pre. When we get a full Pre version of Docs To Go or possible in one of the future Evernote updates we'll at least have a work-around.

I think mobile devices with their tiny keyboard aren't made that way because we tend to use non-words when texting and using the mobile devices like using 4 in place of for and using U for you. It would be constantly advising you of misspelled words that you intentionally spelled incorrectly.

Anyway I'll keep researching and see if I can find something for the spell check. The only thing I can think of at the moment is use evernote for rough drafts and then spell check and send from an on line computer or your Pre later. Or use one of the mobile dictionaries to spell check words you're unsure of.
    I tell ya what cracks me up - for the past three years people have been complaining about the lack of cut and paste on the iPhone (Engadget), and all the fanboys would respond with, "Who the hell needs copy and paste on their phone?? I would never use that". And now that Lord Jobs has gone out sick and the engineers sneaked it onto the new phone in his absence, it's suddenly the most important feature you could have and life can't go on without it.

I guarantee you it won't take Palm three years to get it right.
    Wow... It shows what they say about Windows Mobile being for more business type users... The forums differences between here and in the Treo Pro are amazing... So many people here actting like trashy children... If this is an indication of the TYPE of people that are using the PRE, I'd reather stick with my Windows mobile phoen just to not be in the same catagory. Very sad indeed...
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I tell ya what cracks me up - for the past three years people have been complaining about the lack of cut and paste on the iPhone (Engadget), and all the fanboys would respond with, "Who the hell needs copy and paste on their phone?? I would never use that". And now that Lord Jobs has gone out sick and the engineers sneaked it onto the new phone in his absence, it's suddenly the most important feature you could have and life can't go on without it.

I guarantee you it won't take Palm three years to get it right.
    If that is aimed at me, the OP. I am not coming from a iphone, but from a blackberry which has a more functional copy and paste that i used daily. I just needed a change from blackberrys ugly UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by farrock02 View Post
    If that is aimed at me, the OP. I am not coming from a iphone, but from a blackberry which has a more functional copy and paste that i used daily. I just needed a change from blackberrys ugly UI.
    No, it was not aimed at you.
    It is shocking that this has been such a handicapped feature and should have been thoughtfully implemented versus it's current iteration. I'm hoping that as someone else pointed out, that they can address this in an update soon.
    Gotta love internet tough guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipretoo View Post
    I am sure u are a big beast who can break my bones in no time. That still does not change a word that I typed.

And of course now you say you have half a brain and u were only eliciting ideas from other users. Whatever!
    Actually, I think the reason he said you wouldn't talk to his face like that is probably because you wouldn't have the balls to act like an a$$hole to someone's face. It's much easier to insult people when you can hide behind your monitor, isn't it?

I'm curious: are you too stupid to know better, or are you intentionally rude?

(Oh, in case you're wondering, in this particular post I'm intentionally rude.)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    This forum is new to most of us, yet I already see evidence of elitism among some posters. I see absolutely no reason for Flaming the OP and his concerns about Copy and Paste.

Lets all grow up!
    Granted I havent researched this topic much...and I'm on these forums alot(for someone still w/out a pre) I just assumed it had copy/paste cuz I read it and it was showed working in video reviews.. but now I know since the OP posted this message and now won't waste my time trying to copy and past stuff. Thanks OP!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    An Apple think brought in by Jon?

I just hate to see device maker sunk to the level that such basic feature becomes a big deal. I was laughing at Apple for shamelessly putting copy & paste as a new feature, but looks like Pre is not completely immune of it.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by tri0xinn View Post
    Granted I havent researched this topic much...and I'm on these forums alot(for someone still w/out a pre) I just assumed it had copy/paste cuz I read it and it was showed working in video reviews.. but now I know since the OP posted this message and now won't waste my time trying to copy and past stuff. Thanks OP!
    No problem!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Something tells me that Palm might address that issue with an update....after all, the iPhone can do it now....
    same with video camera. its all a ploy...
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I bet that Palm will be adding this in another OTA firmware update, So far they have been very open and listening very hard to the public on what is wrong with it. The have even gone so far to make a whole new department for it! Palm may be fixing allot of stuff and when they release the flash and 'officialy' release the SDK, they may also release a tricked out update that will fix allot of problems.

Just my 2 cents...

Actually Palm hasn't been open. In fact they haven't said a damn thing about what they are working on or even saying anything about the current issues which are plentiful.

So I'd have to say I disagree with them being open. Will they fix it? Who knows we have gotten one update thus far and it didn't fix a whole lot.
  16. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I signed up to pre central just to get some input on the copy and paste feature of the pre. I got the palm pre after using a blackberry 8330 for about a year. The thing thats KILLING me is the that you can only copy text that you are writing yourself. No copying from text, email, or websites defeats the whole purpose of having the feature. Can someone tell me that im wrong!!!! i have no reason to copy my own writing
    I suppose you could always take a screenshot of the text you want copied and send that to someone!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I suppose you could always take a screenshot of the text you want copied and send that to someone!
    i have no idea how to take a screenshot on this pre. besides a screen shot wouldnt help me.... for example: The girl I meet last weekend texts me here address and i want to copy and paste the address in google map. i would have to keep going back and forth between cards.

why did plam even introduce copy and paste? I think it was just a marketing thing, because to "me" the feature has no real use.
    This *is* actually a huge PITA for me. I bashed the iPhone for not having it for so long, praised Palm for having it on my Treo for five years, and will bash Palm for leaving it out of WebOS.

Hey, if you don't need it, fine...but don't assume that no one else needs it. We are all different and most likely use our phones in different ways. Since I have gotten my Pre, I cannot count how many times I had info in the web browser that I wanted to copy and put somewhere else...and my choices were either to manually transcribe it it from the Pre browser to another Pre application...or leave my Pre, find it on a PC browser, copy it there, paste it into an email, mail it to myself, get the mail on the Pre, and then reply to it so I can finally copy it. Seriously this sucks.

Funny thing is, the Pre *does* support copying static text. I wrote the application shown here:

...and I *can* copy the text in the main window and paste it elsewhere...and I don't even have menu items for copy and paste in that app. I just highlight the text and use the gesture area shortcut for copying.

Thus, I think the *real* issue is *not* that Palm doesn't support copying in those apps, but instead, it is that Palm doesn't support *highlighting* text in those apps. I bet you could copy if you could just figure out how to highlight the text. Yeah, a subtle distinction, but I think it shows the real issue - that Palm hasn't come up with a UI convention to delineate between when you want to place a cursor in a scrollable window and when you just want to scroll that window.

The solution - look at what Apple has done...and then either copy their UI conventions or improve upon them. Seriously, both platforms use WebKit, but Palm's lack of copy & paste, the annoying checkerboard, and the lack of zoom on text fields all make Palm's WebKit experience less than what iPhone users have on mobile Safari. I am *no* iPhone fanboi, but let's give credit where credit is due. Palm needs to get on these usability issues fast if they hope to succeed in a market that is only getting more competitive with each day that passes.

...and I will say that to anyone's face.

cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 06/28/2009 at 03:16 PM.
    Scuba Steve, you're about the most level-headed guy on this forum and I always appreciate your contributions.

Although I don't use copy and paste all that much, I agree they should fix it. As for Apple, I think this feature goes in the category of the one-button mouse; its not that they COULDN'T do it...
    I signed up to pre central just to get some input on the copy and paste feature of the pre. I got the palm pre after using a blackberry 8330 for about a year. The thing thats KILLING me is the that you can only copy text that you are writing yourself. No copying from text, email, or websites defeats the whole purpose of having the feature. Can someone tell me that im wrong!!!! i have no reason to copy my own writing
    I posted a help reply to your post, it was the second or third one; but it and the two others that followed are Now Missing! Why? This being asked to "Treocentral"

My post was the one where I guessed that "copyrighted" issues may be why no cut & paste etc. Then gave a way to restore a Cut and Paste on the "Pre."

This is very bizarre. Treocentral why would you remove the three posts that were trying to give solutions to "farrack02" post?

Wow, this makes me think of those old 60's pictures and the terms they used.. Treocentral Removing help reply posts, on this (now) heated issue as its turned out to be, reguarding the "Pre"; as they termed in the 60's pictures makes some think you are controlled by the "man."

Hope Not.

About our three posts missing though? Mine and two (other members)?
    Last edited by positron; 06/28/2009 at 03:40 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast