Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anybody knows if there is a way to use IRC chat on the Palm Pre without using classic? I've been missing a lot since classic expired.
    Not yet, as far as I can tell. Mibbit doesn't work on the Pre yet. There is an .ipk of xchat on the optware repository, but I have no idea how that'd work calling that up from the command line. I assume it'd be similar to how they get the NES emulator to work, but just don't know enough to try that.
  3.    #3  
    If anybody is interesting in developing and IRC app for the Pre, let me help you with some sources:
    Internet Relay Chat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The iphone has an app called rooms that does it
    Rooms lets you IRC from your iPhone | Crave - CNET
    Anything running off the freenode servers can be reached via the Pre here: webchat.freenode.net/. Tested it out myself and am sitting in the #webos-internals room.
    I'm also looking for an IRC client, and the client mentioned in the thread is good but doesn't connect to servers I want. I've also tried mibbit but the UI has some issues working with the Pre. I hope now that early developers can submit to the app catalog we will see a Pre client soon.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah peterman View Post
    Anything running off the freenode servers can be reached via the Pre here: webchat.freenode.net/. Tested it out myself and am sitting in the #webos-internals room.
    I use Mibbit.com - Easy and fast Webchat, so that will not work for me.
    I got mibbit working on the Pre, though it's a bit buggy. So if you don't mind hitting refresh and entering your name in a few times here's how you get it to work.

1. Go to mibbit.com and click on "create widget"

2. Register

3. Create widget. It asks for your site, just throw anything into it. I used my old domain that isn't parked anywhere.

4. Go to Widget preview, enter in info and check "no server tab".

5. A link will automatically generate - email it to yourself.

6. Click on the link

After clicking on the link, enter your name, click on connect. Hit the refresh, enter name again, click connect - should load. Tested this on two different pre's and it works.
    Last edited by sarah peterman; 07/04/2009 at 03:18 PM.
    I cant get mibbit.com to render completely in the SDK.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah peterman View Post
    I got mibbit working on the Pre, though it's a bit buggy. So if you don't mind hitting refresh and entering your name in a few times here's how you get it to work.

1. Go to mibbit.com and click on "create widget"

2. Register

3. Create widget. It asks for your site, just throw anything into it. I used my old domain that isn't parked anywhere.

4. Go to Widget preview, enter in info and check "no server tab".

5. A link will automatically generate - email it to yourself.

6. Click on the link

After clicking on the link, enter your name, click on connect. Hit the refresh, enter name again, click connect - should load. Tested this on two different pre's and it works.
    Awesome!!! I will be using this while somebody decides to make an app
    The problem I had with mibbit is when I put my phone in suspend and come back the chat buffer might be behind and I can't find a way to scroll down the chat buffer cause the scroll bars are kinda broken in the chat buffer.
  11.    #11  
    Is anybody working on an IRC app for the Palm Pre? This is a must have!
    I used to use UpIRC on my Treo and it worked really good. Here is a link to the site: smittyware.com - upIRC - IRC Client for Palm OS®
    If you can find javascript code for a basic IRC client it would be super easy to port over.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  13.    #13  
  14.    #14  
    Now that the SDK is out and apps keep popping every day. Anybody working on an irc app? I will donate $10 for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Now that the SDK is out and apps keep popping every day. Anybody working on an irc app? I will donate $10 for this.
    Seconded.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Third
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If you can find javascript code for a basic IRC client it would be super easy to port over.
    News - the qwebirc project

What about porting this guy's IRC client that he developed for Adobe AIR, he says it's in JavaScript
    IRC Client - Page 3 - Ext JS Forums

Mozilla's ChatZilla is mainly in JavaScript isn't it? The only problem would be converting the XUL part of it I guess.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I could see this program being a huge battery hog. You are going to have to constantly sync the room, and potentially multiple rooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    I could see this program being a huge battery hog. You are going to have to constantly sync the room, and potentially multiple rooms.
    IRC is a pretty low-latency protocol, it takes a lot less bandwidth than streaming any kind of content. As all that is transferred is plain text. It's been around since the early dialup days. Rooms or channels as they are called don't "sync". It really shouldn't have as bad an impact on the battery as you think.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    I had IRC on my Treo 755p and I never had problems with battery life. The iphone has this app too. I would say IRC uses less battery than gtalk and IM on the Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast