Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Anyone come up with any workable solutions yet? Even a program to SSH into my own linux machine and use irc from there would work at this point..
    Everything Data Plan 1500 LINES 2/3 FREE LINE 4 6.99 $20 Service Credit PICK 3 6PM N/W 0.00 AIRAVE TEP 25% DISCOUNT
    communicationtube.net seemed to work for me. Kind of a pain and extremely basic, but it's one way to deal with it I suppose.
    I made an IRC Client on Adobe AIR ( the one linked to previously ) with JavaScript. It's now pretty much usable by the way. The problem with the Pre is that is doesn't have sockets or any kind of open means to communicate with the outside world. There are very limited url request APIs and a weird stack push API. None of these would permit the kind of persistent TCP socket connection required for an IRC client to work. The only way you could make an IRC client for the Pre is with an intermediary server that connects to IRC for you and then pushes the updates to the Pre via its ridiculous communication API.

I was thinking about making an IRC client for the Pre, but it would require hosting this service on a server, and that's expensive. Not only would I have to require users to pay for the IRC app, but they'd also have to pay a low monthly or yearly fee to help me keep the server running. It would take a long time to make such an app and server for what is arguably not a very big market - IRC users with a Palm Pre willing to pay a monthly fee. So I'm just not going to bother. Maybe Palm will eventually support sockets the way the Iphone does. Until then, no IRC sorry. It might make sense for Mibbit to make a Palm pre app since they already have the server service in place.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by apphacker View Post
    I made an IRC Client on Adobe AIR ( the one linked to previously ) with JavaScript. It's now pretty much usable by the way. The problem with the Pre is that is doesn't have sockets or any kind of open means to communicate with the outside world. There are very limited url request APIs and a weird stack push API. None of these would permit the kind of persistent TCP socket connection required for an IRC client to work. The only way you could make an IRC client for the Pre is with an intermediary server that connects to IRC for you and then pushes the updates to the Pre via its ridiculous communication API.

I was thinking about making an IRC client for the Pre, but it would require hosting this service on a server, and that's expensive. Not only would I have to require users to pay for the IRC app, but they'd also have to pay a low monthly or yearly fee to help me keep the server running. It would take a long time to make such an app and server for what is arguably not a very big market - IRC users with a Palm Pre willing to pay a monthly fee. So I'm just not going to bother. Maybe Palm will eventually support sockets the way the Iphone does. Until then, no IRC sorry. It might make sense for Mibbit to make a Palm pre app since they already have the server service in place.
    Wow, that sucks... and I don't think mibbit has any plans in making an app for the Palm Pre unless they have the intention to let an external developer use their server as a host of the Palm Pre IRC app. Do you think they will let you do that?
    Unfortunately, as far as "official app store" apps goes, we will not be seeing an IRC app anytime soon. I had the full intention of creating one myself, but Palm's SDK has absolutely no way of creating the necessary connections to the IRC servers, making it impossible without some sort of proxy/relay server.
    Has the TCP Socket issue been addressed to Palm?
    There is an alpha IRC client on webOS Internals

Application:WIRC - WebOS Internals
    Not sure, but there's an IRC app in progress. It requires a custom service on the backend to handle the communications, and then uses a Javascript/ HTML interface for the actual application.
    any more updates on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by trick440 View Post
    any more updates on this.
    Wow, major thread resurrection. wIRC has been a working IRC client on the Pre for several months. It requires a backend service to work properly so it must be installed via Preware.(It can also be installed via WebOS Quick Install, just check the WebOS-internals feeds for the wirc client and wircd)
    Yes, WIRC works beautifully. I've been using for the past couple weeks since I got my pre, and have had 0 issues.
    awesome thank you.
    is it still working with 1.4?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12