Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's my Q&D notes on emulator. Thanks to others for some info.

--Keyboard
    • Escape is Back Gesture,
    • Home is Center Button,
    • End is the Flick Up Gesture (like to bring up card view or the launcher),
    • Left/Right arrows switch applications,
    • Shift is Shift (duh!),
    • Alt is Option (orange),
    • Left Ctrl+letter does Sym for that letter,
    • and of course there's the keyboard too.

--Mouse
    • Left Mouse click is "touching screen".
    • Left Mouse drag is "dragging on screen". Useful in card view to "swipe up" (close),and drag left right (card view, launcher, etc.).
    • Left Mouse click and hold will select card in card view for shuffling cards, or changing out Quick Launch applications.
    • Double left mouse click, is zoom in/out on selected paragraph in browser. Not same as two finger zoom?
    • To bring up the Quick Launch "wave", drag up from the bottom of the screen. Note that this is hard to get to work, as one has to start in the exact bottom row of pixels.

--Emulator
    • The "Host" key defaults to Right Ctrl, used for accessing emulator menus. Following is a short list:
      • Tap and release Host key to return keyboard capture to PC (i.e. done using emulator). Note if using "Activation follows mouse (X-Mouse)", this is not required (see "Tweak UI", MS Power Toy, for info).
      • Host+F Full screen toggle
      • Host+N Session information dialog
      • Host+S Take a snapshot (from emulator)
      • Host+Q Close emulator

--Helper Batch Files, in "C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin" (I've not tried, YMMV):
    • palm-emulator.bat - Starts emulator.
    • palm-generate.bat - Create Application template. Will create directory if it doesn't exist.
    • palm-inspector.bat - Runs Palm inspector. Appears to be the debugger interface.
    • palm-install.bat - Installs App on USB connected PrPrPr&#$275$; ($usb$), $or$ $emulator$ ($tcp$).
    • palm-launch.bat - Launch App on USB connected PrPrPr&#$275$; ($usb$), $or$ $emulator$ ($tcp$). $With$ $debugging$ $options$.
    • palm-package.bat - Package App into ipk format.

Open up "DOS" command shell to use. Installing SDK adds bin directory to your path.

Run batch file with no arguments to get usage.

--Mojo API

TBDTBDTBD
    See sample code in "C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\share\samples" for now.
    Last edited by genoahous; 06/28/2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    I don't think Double left mouse click is zoom in/out. This is just Double tap on the screen, which zooms on the selected paragraph in the browser.

But how to really zoom in/out (using 2 fingers on a real Pre)?
    Thanks for this. Let the dev work begin!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post
    I don't think Double left mouse click is zoom in/out. This is just Double tap on the screen, which zooms on the selected paragraph in the browser.

Have changed text, to reflect this.

I'm not sure how to do two finger zooming in emulator. This might only work on real device.
    Thanks for the awesome list! Is there any key combo to shut down the emulator? I'm running it inside of VirtualBox on my Mac & the only way looks like either suspending the machine's state or force power off the machine
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eisnerguy1 View Post
    Thanks for the awesome list! Is there any key combo to shut down the emulator? I'm running it inside of VirtualBox on my Mac & the only way looks like either suspending the machine's state or force power off the machine
    You should be able to type Host+Q (Left Ctrl+Q), then Alt+O to exit without using mouse.
    What is the emulator you're using for windows under OSX? Parallels, Vmware, Wine, or ...? Which version of Windows XP or Vista?

When I get time I can try under WinXP in Parallels 3 on my 10.5 MacBook Pro. Should have time later this week...

-------------------------------

Or am I misunderstanding you. Are you running under OSX native virtualbox? I could try this on my MacBook Pro. Do you have setup instructions? Or did you just mount the Palm "CD" ISO file?

If this is your setup, then the .bat files won't work... So not too useful of setup at this time...
    Quote Originally Posted by sidamos View Post

I tried all sorts of keyboard combinations but it looks like nothing is really emulating zoom
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by genoahous View Post
    [*]palm-install.bat - Installs App on USB connected PrPrPr&#$275$; ($usb$), $or$ $emulator$ ($tcp$).
    Okay so I've installed some samples on my Emulated Pre but I wonder how do you install an .ipk to an USB attached Pre?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Okay so I've installed some samples on my Emulated Pre but I wonder how do you install an .ipk to an USB attached Pre?
    I've not tried this yet, but as I understand it the install script can take either the application path or the name for the .ipk file.

Run the palm-install.bat without any command line parameters for it's usage display. This works for most of the .bat files.

To install to a usb attached device use something like:
    Code:
    palm-install.bat -d usb ~/projects/packages/com.example.app_1.0_all.ipk
    You should be able to type Host+Q (Left Ctrl+Q), then Alt+O to exit without using mouse.
    What is the emulator you're using for windows under OSX? Parallels, Vmware, Wine, or ...? Which version of Windows XP or Vista?

When I get time I can try under WinXP in Parallels 3 on my 10.5 MacBook Pro. Should have time later this week...

-------------------------------

Or am I misunderstanding you. Are you running under OSX native virtualbox? I could try this on my MacBook Pro. Do you have setup instructions? Or did you just mount the Palm "CD" ISO file?

If this is your setup, then the .bat files won't work... So not too useful of setup at this time...
    I actually figured out that the Command/ Keys are the Host keys when using the Mac OS X version of Virtual Box. The Mouse section works the same for me. & most of the Keyboard sections works just fine on my Mac.

I'm using VirtualBox & got the instructions from this post. Pretty straightforward. Had everything up & running within about 10 minutes tops (Includes time it took to download everything).

Quote Originally Posted by czechdev View Post
    Hi there,
    though the SDK is a Windows-only application, the Emulator can be run also on Linux or Mac OS (running the rest of the SDK is another thing...). You need to install the SDK via Wine and then run the VirtualBox image.

Here is a short howto:
    1. obtain the SDK
    2. download and install VirtualBox including the kernel modules
    3. download and install Wine
    4. run the Windows installer in Wine
    5. after the installation is completed, note the image and grub boot ISO location (default: ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Palm/SDK/share/emulator/images/sdk47/nova-cust-image-sdk47.vmdk and ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Palm/SDK/share/emulator/images/sdk47/grub.iso)
    6. start VirtualBox
    7. create a new Debian machine; specify the .vmdk file as a source image and grub.iso as a CD-ROM boot file (and note the machine name)
    8. run the following command to enable HVGA framebuffer resolution in VirtualBox: VBoxManage setextradata "YourMachineName" "CustomVideoMode1" "320x480x32" (set YourMachineName according to your machine name)
    9. your new Palm Pre is ready

After start, the machine should produce kernel command output and then show a glowing Palm logo and finally the Luna environment.
    Screenshot at img140. imageshack. us/i/pre3.png/
    Last edited by eisnerguy1; 06/28/2009 at 12:34 AM.

Code:
    Thanks!

I think I'm going to install the samples programs on my Pre so I can play with them when away from a PC so that when I want to do something in my program I'll know right where to "take" the code from.
    Awesome post, linked you back on my blog and I included instructions on how to install it (know people were having trouble with it).

Definitely will be contributing if I stumble across anything more. Very excited about how quickly we're learning about this, I can only hope Palm feels the same way I do.
    Last edited by PreInsiders; 06/28/2009 at 12:43 AM.
    are you getting sound in the emulator?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mafia View Post
    are you getting sound in the emulator?
    In the Mojo SDK download thread it was mentioned that audio & video does not work in emulator.

No only that but several features are stubbed out. i.e. The camera app is just a picture of a camera.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I've not tried this yet, but as I understand it the install script can take either the application path or the name for the .ipk file.

Run the palm-install.bat without any command line parameters for it's usage display. This works for most of the .bat files.

Code:
    I haven't been able to do that - it never finds the usb attached device.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    I haven't been able to do that - it never finds the usb attached device.
    It might only work when PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $in$ $developer$ $mode$. $Have$ $you$ $tried$ $turning$ $it$ $on$ $first$?

Note: This is a guess on my part, as I've yet to try it.

You might want to ask in the "Mojo SDK download?" thread, as there are more people able to answer this there.
    Is there a way to change the orientation of the emulator to imitate tilting of the phone in browser mode lets say???
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||

I'm getting stuck when I do,palm install (pacakge to be installed) to bring an application to my palm emulator. It says it's connecting to the device but it gets stuck there but when I do the
    palm install -d tcp -l it connects and gives me all the applications that are installed in my emulator.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thx!

UPDATE: I was able to fix it. I did install-palm -d tcp PacakageDirectory.
    Apparently, when you leave that out it doesn't automatically know that you have your emulator and it doenst know where to send it.
    Last edited by hellbinder; 07/03/2009 at 09:38 AM.
    So my mouse will not interact with the emulator. I set the emulator up using this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ownload-6.html

Also, when I try to run any of the batch files in the bin folder from a DOS shell cmd line, I get this:

Code:
    \Palm\SDK\share\jars\%j> was unexpected at this time
    any thoughts?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    So my mouse will not interact with the emulator. I set the emulator up using this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ownload-6.html

Also, when I try to run any of the batch files in the bin folder from a DOS shell cmd line, I get this:

Code:
    \Palm\SDK\share\jars\%j> was unexpected at this time
    any thoughts?
    Sounds like install problems. This is a guess on my part...

You might want to ask in the "Mojo SDK download?" thread, as there are more people able to answer there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast