Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased a Pre on launch day with a new contract and was very happy with it.
    Previously I had an Iphone, but was drawn by the multi tasking and great features of the pre.

5 Days later, I noticed my screen was cracked from the inside, and the touch screen no longer worked. I didn't drop or bump the phone into anything, to my knowledge.

My sprint store (Fenton, Missouri) refused to help, saying it was my problem. I had to file an insurance claim (and pay the $100 deductible) even though I spoke to customer service several times. This in spite of hearing several stories on these forums of users getting replacement devices at no charge.

I went ahead and filed the insurance claim and paid the deductible and got a new phone a couple days ago. Due to the hardware issues I had previously, i decided I did not want to commit myself to two years with this phone and additional insurance claims that could result.

Yesterday, I went to my sprint store to return the replacement phone and cancel my contract (well within the 30 day evaluation period). The store refused to let me return the device, saying that this replacement device was not the device purchased. So, according to their logic, if my device gets broken during the 30 day evaluation period, this period is revoked and I have no recourse. I took this up with Sprint CS and they also refused to budge.

On top of it, they say they are charging $200 cancellation fee as well.

So, I purchase a phone for $300.
    I pay an insurance deductible of $100 to get a replacement phone.
    I have to pay a $200 cancellation fee.
    $600 and no grace period.

This is a FRAUD.
    UNACCEPTABLE.
    I will take them to court.
    This is the WORST EXCUSE of a company I've ever seen.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    why dont you contact sprint about this vs. the store, hit #2 and ask for cancelations.
  3. ooc
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    So...did you have TEP?
  4. joelpalm
    I hate to say it, but if this ever got to court, the lawyers that Sprint has on the payroll are way better than any Lolligag Larry lawyer you will be able to hire and you would never win. But it won't make it to court anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ooc View Post
    So...did you have TEP?
    Tell me how you figured out how to type but not how to read. j/k that's what the deductible is....I'm actually in sprint store right now, waiting to explain to the manager why I won't take a refurb without a bih credit in exchange for the 2nd pre with dead pixel issues..
  6.    #6  
    I Did talk to sprint customer service.
    They will not budge either.

They say that my BRAND NEW replacement phone cannot be returned and the contract cancelled within the 30 day grace period.

This is NOT a refurbished phone.

I can't return this phone because it was not the one I purchased.
    The purchased one was returned on an insurance claim.

The store would not accept the BROKEN phone as a return either (which I CAN understand).

CATCH-22
    Just sell the phone on ebay. That should help you should reclaim the cost you paid on the phone (including the replacement deductible). Then ignore what the store said about the cancellation fee, call Sprint CS, ask for cancellations, and tell them you're within 30 days and would like to cancel. That way, you don't lose any money in the process (and most likely make a profit through an ebay/craigslist sale), and you're free from them.
  8.    #8  
    Good point.
    That's what I plan to do.
    We'll see what Ebay can fetch.

Not sure I'll get anywhere on the cancellation fee.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I spoke with a Sprint rep over chat, and you have to return the original device in like new condition to qualify for the 30 day period with no ETF (which is stated on their website as well). If you get an insurance replacement that is defective, then you have to go through the insurance provider (Asurion) to get a replacement. This is unfortunately their policy, which I'm sure they can execute at their discretion, so there isn't really anything you can do.

I asked if having a manufacturer replacement as opposed to an insurance replacement would have made a difference, and she didn't know. Said to call customer care at 888-211-4727 to get the answer to that. But since you got an insurance replacement, it doesn't really matter.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    If you didn't want the phone you should have returned the broken one.

This sounds like buyers remorse mixed with bad judgement on your part...
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Very similar to issues regarding the Palm m505. There was a class action suit and Palm settled. ESD Journal - Palm Settlement Action

Also, there are several pending suits against Apple for issues with cracking around the port holes of the iPhone case almost right out of the box.

Sounds like you fell through the cracks. When I had the m505 issue I had to take it all the way to Corporate but I eventually got a new (not refurb, which they tried to give me) phone.

That doesn't help you now, except to say that if you take it high enough (Dan Heese/Jon Rubenstien) and explain yourself clearly and calmly perhaps you will get somewhere.
  12.    #12  
    The replacement phone is a good phone. It still is.
    I wanted to exercise the 30 day return policy.

They told me I COULD NOT return the original broken phone.

So I exercised the Insurance option with deductible to get a replacement phone. Then when I tried to return a BRAND NEW replacement phone, exercising the 30 day return policy, they refused, saying that this was not the original device.

So effectively, I forfeited my rights under the 30 day return policy once the original phone was damaged.

Bottom line, there is NO 30 day return policy if your phone breaks during this period. They wont accept return of a broken phone, and they won't accept return of a BRAND NEW replacement phone either.

So I will try the EBAY option to hope to recover at least some of the $600 I am out.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by across04 View Post
    The replacement phone is a good phone. It still is.
    I wanted to exercise the 30 day return policy.

They told me I COULD NOT return the original broken phone.

So I exercised the Insurance option with deductible to get a replacement phone. Then when I tried to return a BRAND NEW replacement phone, exercising the 30 day return policy, they refused, saying that this was not the original device.

So effectively, I forfeited my rights under the 30 day return policy once the original phone was damaged.

Bottom line, there is NO 30 day return policy if your phone breaks during this period. They wont accept return of a broken phone, and they won't accept return of a BRAND NEW replacement phone either.

So I will try the EBAY option to hope to recover at least some of the $600 I am out.
    Yeah, that's the policy. I don't think its an unfair policy--Sprint is, afterall, a company and they want to make money-- but I do think there are certainly cases where they could make an exception. I don't think, however, they should make an exception for a device that has cosmetic damage because it is clearly stated on the back of the receipt (on mine anyway) that to return it in the 30 days it has to be "like new".

Maybe you could find out why they won't take your brand new replacement? Because if they have a policy that basically says "hey, we don't know where that replacement came from, you could have stolen it!" then perhaps you can provide proof that it is an Asurion replacement and they will accept it?
    Try to contact your credit card company and file a chargeback. That might be a much easier way to handle the issue.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joelpalm View Post
    I hate to say it, but if this ever got to court, the lawyers that Sprint has on the payroll are way better than any Lolligag Larry lawyer you will be able to hire and you would never win. But it won't make it to court anyway.

I don't know what it's like in the US but in the UK, if you are filing for less than say 500, half the time you will win because it's simply cheaper for them not to show up and let you win than pay thousands of pounds for their lawyers to deal with the matter.
    I recommend calling your credit card company to dispute the charges with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by joelpalm View Post View Post
    Small claims court! They'll never even show and if they do they will settle in minutes through arbitration. It'll cost them way more money to send a lawyer.
    Last edited by twizardt; 06/27/2009 at 02:39 PM.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    My question is this. If I have to exchange my phone because of manuf def (dead pixels, blotchy screen or loose keyboard), does this void my chance of returning it within the 30 days for a refund. After all it is not the original phone that I purchased.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcassio View Post
    My question is this. If I have to exchange my phone because of manuf def (dead pixels, blotchy screen or loose keyboard), does this void my chance of returning it within the 30 days for a refund. After all it is not the original phone that I purchased.
    You have to call customer care to get that answer!
    Wow that is a horrible policy on sprint. You should be able to cancel your account regardless of the insurance replacement. I would think as long as you are returning a good condition phone it shouldn't matter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast