Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Wow that is a horrible policy on sprint. You should be able to cancel your account regardless of the insurance replacement. I would think as long as you are returning a good condition phone it shouldn't matter.
    This isn't just Sprint's policy....

Also, it only makes sense from a business perspective. His replacement didn't come from Sprint, it came from Asurion.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcassio View Post
    My question is this. If I have to exchange my phone because of manuf def (dead pixels, blotchy screen or loose keyboard), does this void my chance of returning it within the 30 days for a refund. After all it is not the original phone that I purchased.
    No you will be fine, Manaufactor defects do not count as the 1 trade out within the 30 period. Also you are still getting the phone from the ORIGINAL store, Unlike the OP whom got a phone from Asurian and expected sprint store to return it.
    SCK Manager
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    You have to call customer care to get that answer!
    I had the same question, if you get it replaced in store with a new unit, I was told the 30 day policy is still valid.

If you go with insurance it's not valid......thats just how it is.
    Also, it only makes sense from a business perspective. His replacement didn't come from Sprint, it came from Asurion.
    Really? I insurance is purchases through Sprint.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryClayton View Post
    Really? I insurance is purchases through Sprint.
    i THINK what you said is that your insurance is purchased through Sprint, which is not exactly correct. You pay $7 a month on your phone bill to be insured by Asurion, not by Sprint.
    Your phone's screen doesn't break itself, and it's obvious that Sprint doesn't cover it.

They can't accept it, I wouldn't accept it. The insurance replacement will cover the phone, not the rights you have against Sprint. The phone you bought to Sprint is broken. That's all. At least in the real (and logic) world.

It's like if I buy a brand new car, my wife crashes it against a truck and I try to return the car to the dealer and request my bucks. No sense, I think.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    i THINK what you said is that your insurance is purchased through Sprint, which is not exactly correct. You pay $7 a month on your phone bill to be insured by Asurion, not by Sprint.
    This is all getting kind of nit picky. However, Asurion is the company Sprint has chosen to carry insurance coverage. I pay Sprint $7.00. I don't know what portion of that actually goes to Asurion. Since the insurer has been selected by Sprint, I see no reason that Sprint should have any trouble accepting a phone that came to their customer through Sprints chosen insurance provider. As long as the phone is in "like new" condition, the 30 day return policy should still be offered. I would up channel your issue. I'd send a letter to the CEO and VP of CS. It doesn't mean you have to be rude. Just let them know what happened, and how dissappointed you are in their service after hearing that they had done so much to improve.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    This is all getting kind of nit picky. However, Asurion is the company Sprint has chosen to carry insurance coverage. I pay Sprint $7.00. I don't know what portion of that actually goes to Asurion. Since the insurer has been selected by Sprint, I see no reason that Sprint should have any trouble accepting a phone that came to their customer through Sprints chosen insurance provider. As long as the phone is in "like new" condition, the 30 day return policy should still be offered. I would up channel your issue. I'd send a letter to the CEO and VP of CS. It doesn't mean you have to be rude. Just let them know what happened, and how dissappointed you are in their service after hearing that they had done so much to improve.
    Because the phone is not coming from Sprint, it is coming from another company. The insurance provided and the cost of said insurance is determined not by Sprint, but by the insurance underwriter which is Continental Casualty Company, who then licenses Asurion to issue replacement devices. Sprint has nothing to do with it, except to offer the service to its customers. After that, its not Sprint's problem, which is why you don't go through Sprint to get a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcassio View Post
    My question is this. If I have to exchange my phone because of manuf def (dead pixels, blotchy screen or loose keyboard), does this void my chance of returning it within the 30 days for a refund. After all it is not the original phone that I purchased.
    No the phone info is changed when they do the exchange.
    Sprint should've taken better care of you considering the circumstances. I've been with Sprint for years and my experience with CS is stellar. I just hope I don't have these issues with the Pre.
    you really should take them to court, in general they are a terrible company! they don't take care of their customers well at all... whether its CS or in the building! when ever i'm in the store my salespeople are always texting!

my horror story:
    for the last three weeks i've been going to the sprint store telling them i need to get a replacement (randomly shuts down), and they go on and on about "how its on backorder..." and so i say put me on a list i just need to know my $500 phone that isn't working will be replaced! they dont do anything but tell me to call CS... i call them and all they say to do is a hard reset

on my third saturday with the phone i go in, there is a new guy there, and i tell him the whole story! he tells me, "yeah i'll order you a phone and new battery... if they would've ordered this for ya the first time you came in you probably would've had it by now..." FML

edit: also my family is premier customers... they defiantly shouldn't have let that happen to me!
    Welcome to sprint where customer service means you are the dried sh!t on the bottom of their shoe.

good luck - you will need it

Quote Originally Posted by across04 View Post
    I purchased a Pre on launch day with a new contract and was very happy with it.
    Previously I had an Iphone, but was drawn by the multi tasking and great features of the pre.

5 Days later, I noticed my screen was cracked from the inside, and the touch screen no longer worked. I didn't drop or bump the phone into anything, to my knowledge.

My sprint store (Fenton, Missouri) refused to help, saying it was my problem. I had to file an insurance claim (and pay the $100 deductible) even though I spoke to customer service several times. This in spite of hearing several stories on these forums of users getting replacement devices at no charge.

I went ahead and filed the insurance claim and paid the deductible and got a new phone a couple days ago. Due to the hardware issues I had previously, i decided I did not want to commit myself to two years with this phone and additional insurance claims that could result.

Yesterday, I went to my sprint store to return the replacement phone and cancel my contract (well within the 30 day evaluation period). The store refused to let me return the device, saying that this replacement device was not the device purchased. So, according to their logic, if my device gets broken during the 30 day evaluation period, this period is revoked and I have no recourse. I took this up with Sprint CS and they also refused to budge.

On top of it, they say they are charging $200 cancellation fee as well.

So, I purchase a phone for $300.
    I pay an insurance deductible of $100 to get a replacement phone.
    I have to pay a $200 cancellation fee.
    $600 and no grace period.

This is a FRAUD.
    UNACCEPTABLE.
    I will take them to court.
    This is the WORST EXCUSE of a company I've ever seen.
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    Bad job sprint bad job
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    i can strongly suggest you write an email to Sprints executives and ***** about it. Also, CC the comsumerist website.
    that and time should get your situation fixed.
  15.    #35  
    I think it matters where you purchase your phone and how the people in that particular store treat you.

In the first week after the pre came out, I was not the only person to experience a broken screen. Some of these people were given replacement units at the store and others were not. I was one of the latter.

I suspect that once the local store updates the information in the database, then their opinion prevails. Once I was told NO for a replacement phone in the store, no amount of reasoning with Sprint Customer service got me anywhere.

I've heard people getting multiple replacment phones for dead pixels and other reasons. I've heard people with broken screens having their phones replaced, and deductibles waved. I think it comes down to the discretion of the store.

I'm in process of selling the phone on ebay, but likely will not get more than around $300 for the phone. I will be out the cost of the deductible to get the replacement phone, and a $200 cancellation fee, as they won't honor the 30 grace period.

Its pretty clear that my local Sprint Store has issues with their customer service. The store manager was a complete jerk and not helpful in the least. Basically giving me a catch-22 situation, and subsequent contact with Sprint Customer Service yielded no improvement in that situation.

I've dealt with Sprint in the past in another part of the country (with a broadband card) and had a very good experience.

Enough time has been spent on this already on my part, and I just received a customer survey from Palm. So I will take the opportunity to respond to their survey, and will consider contacting Sprint corporate as well.

The Pre has great potential and WebOS is fantastic.
    But when the Cell Phone Provider and Manufacturer won't consistently and fairly treat their customers, that is a serious issue.

Thanks for everyones suggestions and perspectives!
    This is why you should buy the phone from Best Buy. The warranty is a ton better than ****ty Asurion.
    wow I cant believe the mentality people have on this forum...seriously guys? EVERY single provider ATT TMO SPRINT VERIZION n so on ALL have the same return policy....WHY would they return something damaged? physical damage non the less.....

Insult to injury you try and return a phone you didn't even buy from them I mean COME ON...

The only aspect where I feel for the OP is yes they SHOULD NOT charge you ETF by any means and I am sure talking to the right person you can have that waived
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Because the phone is not coming from Sprint, it is coming from another company. The insurance provided and the cost of said insurance is determined not by Sprint, but by the insurance underwriter which is Continental Casualty Company, who then licenses Asurion to issue replacement devices. Sprint has nothing to do with it, except to offer the service to its customers. After that, its not Sprint's problem, which is why you don't go through Sprint to get a replacement.
    I understand the point you're trying to make. However, the choice of insurer is/was Sprint's. They even try to sell you on this insurance; making them a broker for this company. What my point really is, is that it shouldn't matter that the phone wasa replacement for the original, as long as the phone is in like new condition. I could also agree with Sprint if they said the phone had to be new, and not reconditioned. However, that's not what the OP said was the case. I agree with companies making a profit. I do not agree with taking advantage of consumers. I, personally have never had an issue with Sprint that I couldn't resolve as a win/win. I hope the OP can resolve the issue to his satisfaction.
    One time, I had to actually pay taxes because of some technicallity. Somehow, even though I didn't know it, a result of working in the United States was to have nearly 40 percent of my income taken by a Mr. With Ol Ding. Apparently, we owe some money to some Chinese guy. That's the thanks I get for donating to the re election campaigns of every President since Reagan...

Point is, Sprint is opperating the same way all the other cell companies do. However, if we complain enough, Obama will take care of those obscene profits of Big Wireless, and finally we will all have the coverage we deserve.... none.

Disclaimer: President Obama is fantastic, and anyone who construes what I said as an insult to him or any other tax/spend happy government type is probably right.

Also, it was my intent to ruin the topic of this thread because none of us can do anything to help this poor soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Your phone's screen doesn't break itself, and it's obvious that Sprint doesn't cover it.

They can't accept it, I wouldn't accept it. The insurance replacement will cover the phone, not the rights you have against Sprint. The phone you bought to Sprint is broken. That's all. At least in the real (and logic) world.

It's like if I buy a brand new car, my wife crashes it against a truck and I try to return the car to the dealer and request my bucks. No sense, I think.
    Yeah, I was about to say...

Someone physically damages their phone, tries to get it exchanged as a defective product, gets and pays an insurance deductible and then tries to return the replacement?

Why don't you just take better care of your replacement and enjoy the Pre? Yeah, accidents happen and sometimes we have to pay for them, but.. as someone said earlier... a mix of carelessness and buyer's remorse.

Just hang onto the Pre; it's a good phone. I'm loving mine.

Smartphones aren't meant to be physically treated as disposable $10 phones, though; that's the only downside of having one.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast