Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I'm a long time reader, first time poster and I HOPE I've come to the right place. I'm trying to get some advice on the Pre. I've been with Sprint/Nextel for over 8 years. I have/had the HTC Touch. My Touch gave me NO PROBLEMS ( can you believe it !) Anyway, time for an upgrade and I looked, drooled etc over the Pre. Finally brought myself to get it on Tuesday this week. But the more I read about this phone, the more I'm scared. First, My Touch gave me no problems for 2 years ( at least after 6.1), I dropped it and no probs. I carried it in my front pants pocket, no probs.
    With the Pre, its the first phone I've ever had that I feel I HAVE to have insurance on it. I'm not rough on my phones, but the Pre " feels" to weak. Now I read that there are slider issues.I've had several " dropped calls". But what scares me the most are the screen cracking issues. And since Sprints customer service really bites, I would hate for the screen to break through no fault of my own, and then have to pay 100 to fix it. I'm seriously looking at the HTC Tough Diamond instead. Thoughts?
    You have 30 days to return it. 'Nough said.
  3.    #3  
    I realize I have 30 days, but if the screen cracks BEFORE the 30 days, can I return it or an I stuck. Its hard having a phone that might have issues, but its made 10000 times worse with Sprints poor cs
  4.    #4  
    Also, does the color of the box the phone came in make a difference? Mine was a white box
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    get insurance + you have 30 days. nuff said.
    Why is sprints cs so horrible & why must you repeat it every post? I heard at&t & verizon is great. Why don't you give them a call?

Can't be that horrible after 8 years of service to you.

After 8 years with a phone company, you don't know the return policy?

Why would your, if any @ all, incident, make "sprint worst cs ever"?

I went to Publix here in Coconut Creek_ Florida. The lady in the deli told me 'life sucks, we closed 10 minutes early'. I still shop @ publix. Its post like yours..... Ahh you know what.... Nevermind. Nuff said.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    first and foremost - "the more i read about this phone, the more i'm SCARED." - means you have to change your name to somefear18

second - you may have noticed that everyone here has had different experiences with sprint, and the pre both.

in my town, sprint rocks - hands down. it embarrasses all of the other providers with their service and customer care. my phone is perfect, was perfect straight out of the box.

some folks think it is a brick and mishandle it - some folks think it is an expensive tool and use tlc...

your day will be different from ours.

buy the phone and find out what your experience will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear18 View Post
    I realize I have 30 days, but if the screen cracks BEFORE the 30 days, can I return it or an I stuck. Its hard having a phone that might have issues, but its made 10000 times worse with Sprints poor cs
    I can't guarantee you what will happen, but my anectdotal experience with Sprint's TEP (Total Equipment Protection) is this.

I had two different Centros that stopped reading my data card after 4-5 weeks of use. They took them back and gave me new units both times. On my third Centro, after having it for about a week, I looked at it and saw that the screen was cracked. I suspect it pressed against my keys. At any rate, I took it back, fully expecting to have to pay the $50 deductable (it's $100 now, BTW). I did not. They started to swap it for a new one.

I asked them if I could "convert" back to a 755p; I really felt the Centro was not going to hold up to my style of use. They had to talk to the manager, but they did it.

I will add a couple of things to this - I'm a long time customer of Sprint (almost 7 years). Also, the Centrol was in absolute pristine condition, except for the cracked screen. In other words, it was obvious this was not a dropped, run over, thrown against the wall, whatever, damaged phone. I suspect that had I broght it in crushed, the outcome would have been different.

That said, I'd say at least give it your initial 30 days, and see how things go.

One final note, I'm typically pretty hard on phones myself. I've been taking a little extra care with the Pre, so that may be the reason - but I've had mine since launch day, and have had no problems with it physically.
    in my opinion the palm pre is not as bad as the ppl here tend to make you believe. also very few have had the cracked screen issue. if you do happen to have that issue you can return it within the first 30 days. if the phone works within the first 28 days if you like the phone keep it. that just my 2 cents (keep the insurance)
  10.    #10  
    Some nice points made.
    1) Yes I have been a Sprint Customer for 7-8 years, and the way I feel they have treated me is just like "you owe us"
    2) "Nofear18 " has to do with a # of a driver ( who has no fear )
    3) I was hoping for some understanding and patience in this, but most of what I got was " nuff said" . I realize that most of the people on this site love their Pre, and I'm happy for them. I wish I could love mine, but I worry about it.
    4) It might be a bit challenging to exchange a Pre for another Pre, when availibility is a concern.
    5) Does anyone really know what Sprints policy is on defective phones? I know you have 30 days, but, like I said, what happens if the screen cracks due to the heat build up? Again , no fault of my own. But I can't prove that.
  11.    #11  
    Plus, its crazy to pay $ 7.00 a month for the insurance AND a 100.00 deductible. 168.00 over 2 years almost IS a new phone. And when yours breaks, they send out refurbished phones. Help me understand
    Some nice points made.
    1) Yes I have been a Sprint Customer for 7-8 years, and the way I feel they have treated me is just like "you owe us"
    2) "Nofear18 " has to do with a # of a driver ( who has no fear )
    3) I was hoping for some understanding and patience in this, but most of what I got was " nuff said" . I realize that most of the people on this site love their Pre, and I'm happy for them. I wish I could love mine, but I worry about it.
    4) It might be a bit challenging to exchange a Pre for another Pre, when availibility is a concern.
    5) Does anyone really know what Sprints policy is on defective phones? I know you have 30 days, but, like I said, what happens if the screen cracks due to the heat build up? Again , no fault of my own. But I can't prove that.
    I think you're getting this reaction because so many, many people have already joined the forum and immediately expressed such concerns. There are many threads like this already, hence people's frustration.

As far as the cracked screens, that's been reported by a few people and then repeated ad nauseum as if it's a verified issue. From everything I can see, nobody has shown 1) that's it's happened more than a few times and 2) that it's caused by any such thing as excessive heat. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, every single instance occurred after a Pre had been in someone's pocket. If you're looking for a correlation, there it is.

If you do a Google search on "iPhone 3GS overheating," you'll find numerous discussions about the new iPhone getting hot enough to burn skin and permanently discolor the back of the white version. I bring this up because 1) all new devices have issues and 2) if you read enough complaints you'll be discouraged from buying anything.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think you're getting this reaction because so many, many people have already joined the forum and immediately expressed such concerns. There are many threads like this already, hence people's frustration.

As far as the cracked screens, that's been reported by a few people and then repeated ad nauseum as if it's a verified issue. From everything I can see, nobody has shown 1) that's it's happened more than a few times and 2) that it's caused by any such thing as excessive heat. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, every single instance occurred after a Pre had been in someone's pocket. If you're looking for a correlation, there it is.

If you do a Google search on "iPhone 3GS overheating," you'll find numerous discussions about the new iPhone getting hot enough to burn skin and permanently discolor the back of the white version. I bring this up because 1) all new devices have issues and 2) if you read enough complaints you'll be discouraged from buying anything.
    i totally agree this are machines that break sometimes.
    nothing will be perfect if you expect it to be dont get it
    but if something with great features and overall a great phone get it
    Also, no carier insurance option at all with iPhones.
  15.    #15  
    I still don't comprehend it. 299.00 for the phone, 100 rebate= 199.00 , $7.00a month insurance ( something I have NEVER gotten on any of the 10+ phones I have/had on my 7 Sprint accounts) = 168.00. Doesn't Palm/Sprint have some type of warranty? OOOOHH yeah, thats IF you can prove the screen breaking Or the slider getting loose ) was not your fault. Good luck. I'm looking at the HTC Diamond
    I still don't comprehend it. 299.00 for the phone, 100 rebate= 199.00 , $7.00a month insurance ( something I have NEVER gotten on any of the 10+ phones I have/had on my 7 Sprint accounts) = 168.00. Doesn't Palm/Sprint have some type of warranty? OOOOHH yeah, thats IF you can prove the screen breaking Or the slider getting loose ) was not your fault. Good luck. I'm looking at the HTC Diamond
    Have fun with only doing one thing at a time!

*zing!*
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Is $7/mo too expensive for peace of mind?

My advice to you, if you really want it, is get the insurance and stop reading everyone else's horror stories.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Take care of Your crap!!!!
    Nokia 5100 - At&t - Nokia 6310i - At&t - LG Vx3200 - Verizon - Motorola E815 - Verizon - Motorola Razor - Verizon - iPhone-At&t - Pre - Sprint - HTC Evo - Sprint - Samsung Epic - Sprint - Blackberry Curve - Sprint - Evo3D - Sprint - Touchpad - HP
    How I roll since 1999!
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    The HTC may be right for you if you can live with Windows Mobile and without a hardware keyboard, and particularly if you want to carry it in a pocket. I carry my Pre in a holster, as I did with my two Treos. I didn't buy insurance (on the old theory never insure against a loss you can afford) and it doesn't feel like a big risk.

Somehow I've had good luck with my Palm devices (I did once crack the screen on an old Palm Pilot, but it was my own damn fault), and I'm optimistic about the Pre. It took me a few days to get it the way I wanted it, but it's going great. I've added a few apps that I really like (such as Flightview, Flixster and PocketMirror), but at this point I'm not even feeling app-hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    In fact, if I'm not mistaken, every single instance occurred after a Pre had been in someone's pocket. If you're looking for a correlation, there it is.
    You ARE mistaken.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast