Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    originally my battery would last about 6 to 8 hours even with aim off and gmail set to 1 hour. Really bad reception at my office. goes from roaming to 2 bars all day long...But now 13 hours of constant use and still only at 33percent
    heres what i have set

deleted google talk account
    turn off gps and auto locate
    aim off
    gmail set to push every hour
    screen brightness one step above the min setting
    screen standy by mode set to 30secs

Ive made about 3 thirty min calls today
    Bunch of text messeges
    Couple of emails
    started at 10am its now 2am and im at 33percent..
    phone switch between roaming and 1 to 2 bars for about 6 hours of the day
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    How much of the increase do you think came from battery conditioning through multiple charge cycles?
    Lithium batteries do not "condition" like Nickel batteries did...
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    When i first got my phone it would barely make it through the day... now i am going 2 days without having to charge...
    My Pre's discharge rate on the day I bought it was right around 10%/hour. Its discharge rate today is still right around 10%/hour. And, if anything, my usage is less now than it was.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Setting your email to "As Items Arrive" will actually conserve more battery life.
    Is deleting the chat accounts any different from just logging them out?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    People keep saying that, but it seems like just about everyone's experience begs to differ (mine included).
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trixx View Post
    Is deleting the chat accounts any different from just logging them out?
    Yeah i was told that google chat still searches and updates no matter what, so I deleted it..Aim u can jus sign out of,
    It's sad we have to turn off all the these cool features to make it through the day...

Maybe the release of the Touchstone was an admission by Palm that the Pre needed a convenient way keep the battery charged throughout the day. IMHO, should have been included for all of us early adopters.
    The first week I had my Pre, I was in terror that it wouldn't last thru the work day until I could get it on the car charger, but it now makes it to quitting time with 40-50% in the tank, regardless of use. (OK, heavy use, like an hour of surfing, will grind it down to perhaps 20%.)

* Wifi on, Bluetooth off unless I've got my Borg earpiece on.
    * Chat off. (When I want to yap at people on the tiny KB, I'll turn it on.)
    * Email set to As Items Arrive.
    * Screen off in 1 minute.
    * GPS off. (Unless I'm driving someplace, why would I need it on? I don't geotag my pictures.)
    * Brightness set to under the G and H in the word.
    * Frequently will leave a card open, like Tweed or Gmail or a browser article I'm reading, but usually just toss them off most of the time. If I get an email, I get an alert, so why run the client app 24/7. If I need to tweet something, I'll remember it for the 5 secs. it takes to launch the app.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Li-ion batteries most certainly do 'condition'. Max battery charge is achieved after several full charge cycles.

Ni-Cd and Ni-MH batteries have a chemical 'memory' - if they are repeatedly partially drained and then charged, they 'learn' a low charge state as full. This is why you still need to occasionally completely run down your toothbrush or shaver battery - those are mostly still Ni-MH - and completely draining them before charging prevents the chemical memory effect.

These are two different effects that are commonly confused. Lithium-ion batteries do 'condition'. Lithium-ion batteries do not have a chemical 'memory'.

Read here: Battery Charging Information, Battery Care Information, Cell Phone Battery Life, Cell Phone Battery Tips, Improve Battery Performance
    Last edited by kabamm; 06/27/2009 at 02:35 PM.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabamm View Post
    Li-ion batteries most certainly do 'condition'. Max battery charge is achieved after several full charge cycles.

Ni-Cd and Ni-MH batteries have a chemical 'memory' - if they are repeatedly partially drained and then charged, they 'learn' a low charge state as full. This is why you still need to occasionally completely run down your toothbrush or shaver battery - those are mostly still Ni-MH - and completely draining them before charging prevents the chemical memory effect.

These are two different effects that are commonly confused. Lithium-ion batteries do 'condition'. Lithium-ion batteries do not have a chemical 'memory'.

Read here: Battery Charging Information, Battery Care Information, Cell Phone Battery Life, Cell Phone Battery Tips, Improve Battery Performance
    Thanks for that info. I haven't had that experience with my Pre, but it's interesting. Perhaps I've simply not conditioned it enough.

Since nothing else has worked for me: is it too late to condition after a few weeks of use? Or should I go ahead and let it run down completely again (I did it once after first getting the Pre--to the point where the question mark showed up)? How many times is necessary?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Thanks for that info. I haven't had that experience with my Pre, but it's interesting. Perhaps I've simply not conditioned it enough.

Since nothing else has worked for me: is it too late to condition after a few weeks of use? Or should I go ahead and let it run down completely again (I did it once after first getting the Pre--to the point where the question mark showed up)? How many times is necessary?
    I wouldn't. It's fully conditioned by now. Just keep the battery topped up as much as is convenient.
    Last edited by kabamm; 06/27/2009 at 05:56 PM.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Setting your email to "As Items Arrive" will actually conserve more battery life.
    .......unless you get e-mail every few minutes all day long.
    It's the reception.

My old phone had awesome standby life, 3-4 days easily. But once I went somewhere with bad reception for 6+ hours, and my cell was dead.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    It's sad we have to turn off all the these cool features to make it through the day..
    Exactly. For some reason then statements like this upset people but the idea of disabling features in order to get your phone to last a day goes against the concept of a "do everything phone".

I'm constantly monitoring my usage and limiting myself but by 4PM I'm always at 20%.
    I think most of the difference is that once you've had your phone for a few days you are playing with it a lot less :-)
    Don't forget the AIM issue. There is a glitch somewhere that when connected to AIM in drains the battery faster. I don't think 1.0.3 fixed that issue. I pulled the phone off the charger today at 10AM and was at 67% by noon. I turned off AIM and my battery has been stable since.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    The biggest battery increase will come from ##3836# and setting it not to use 3G, meaning 1xrtt only, that goes for any phone not just the pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast