Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, like most of you ive been experiencing bad battery life through normal and not tons of use. Ive charged the phone about 8 times, I would leave it on the charger all night.

would take off about 8:30am and by 7-8pm I would be at 20%

Last night I hooked up the USB cable to my computer to transfer 5gigs of songs.

then hooked it back up to the regular wall charger for the rest of the night until morning. took it off like usual @ 8:30am

I looked at my phone @ 11am and WHOA 97% and thats with me making a few calls and txts and emails !

so I monitored it all day, using it like I do everyday.

and here we sit @ 8:30pm 65% ! ! ! !

Im going to keep using it and wont charge it until it dies, just to see how long it will go.

Keep in mind :
    No bluetooth On
    No Wifi On

I do shut off apps when Im done with them.

I made about an hour 1/2 worth of calls , Exactly 43 txt messages , Exactly 11 emails.

In an EVDO area, no roaming, about 4 bars at all times.

I was just about to try and have the battery swapped too !

Maybe give it a try and see if it works for you. It was on the computer power for about an hour while I selected songs and transferred them..

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I think the biggest culprit is spotty coverage. At the office, my device drains at at least three times the speed it drains at at home.
    It's my second day of owning the phone and I have to say the battery performance thus far is troubling. I've already ordered extra chargers for both home and in my car. I'm hoping to see the normalization of battery life as most people are reporting. How many days have you owned your pre?
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    My battery was draining quite a bit since Ive had the device. That is, until today... Been off of the charger for 12 hours now. Battery is at 26%.

Wifi On, 4 bars, About an hour worth of phone calls collectively today. Tons of browsing online, picture taking, google talk and 2 email inboxes with 15 minute push intervals.

My trick is to drain the battery to roughly 20% every day, then take it up to a full charge. I keep hearing people say to "top the battery off" but I feel it's smarter to drain and then fully charge.

My 2c.
    With lion batteries as long as they're not left empty they're fine. If you were draining the battery to nil and then charging it, that'd be a different story
    Quote Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
    It's my second day of owning the phone and I have to say the battery performance thus far is troubling. I've already ordered extra chargers for both home and in my car. I'm hoping to see the normalization of battery life as most people are reporting. How many days have you owned your pre?
    I hope you ordered the official Sprint charger....it is by far the best charger I had for the Pre. Had the Palm charger first...that thing did what it wanted to and either made the phone said it was working, but really didn't, or it would just not work at all. Only once did I get acceptable performance out of it. My old iGo charger with a A97 tip was spotty too.

The official Sprint charger (check their website) however, rocks....used it with Navi and it not only kept the charge, it even added to the charge. My old iGo on my old Sprint Touch couldn't do that.

I absoutley love the official Sprint charger!
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I confused... I know what ftw meant in the seventies - what does it mean now?
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    I confused... I know what ftw meant in the seventies - what does it mean now?
    For the win. Urban Dictionary: ftw

I also experienced increased battery life over time, however not related to computer charging/transfer. I did that many times in the first week I had the phone with no improvement. I had bad signal in the home, I think a tower must have been down. Whatever the cause of the bad signal was, it's better now (about 4 bars) and my battery lasts all day between home and work, 16+ hours with 40% left or so, a few phone calls and 50 or so texts/light web usage.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I think in areas of spotty coverage, it may be useful to do the ##EVDO# hack and put it to 1xx or a certain coverage that is ideal for your workplace.
    Quote Originally Posted by s0urce View Post
    My trick is to drain the battery to roughly 20% every day, then take it up to a full charge. I keep hearing people say to "top the battery off" but I feel it's smarter to drain and then fully charge.

My 2c.
    This has no basis in the science of how Li-ion batteries work. There's no advantage to draining to 20% vs. re-charging every time you're near a charger. Maybe it feels better for you, but there is no scientific reason why this would happen with Li-ion batteries that I've ever heard of. Really, for Li-ion and its lack of memory, charge-discharge isn't really a killer no matter your usage pattern. Just charge whenever it's convenient for you. Charging at any time won't hurt the battery, and that way it's always charged for you.

Occasionally, it is a good idea to fully drain the battery, but not for the good of the battery itself; you do this because it re-calibrates the "% left" battery meter.

My experience with the Pre was that my battery needed to be drained completely, as in until the phone cut itself off, one time before it would work correctly. But this doesn't have anything to do with battery chemistry, I believe it just needed to have its circuitry calibrated before it worked correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by neoGTR22 View Post
    With lion batteries as long as they're not left empty they're fine. If you were draining the battery to nil and then charging it, that'd be a different story
    The protection circuitry won't let you drain the battery to nil, it'll cut the phone off and there's ZERO harm to your battery. That's the entire reason that Li-ion batteries have protection circuits, so that you don't drain the batteries too low and damage them. Circuitry also prevents you from overcharging you battery, which can damage it. There is no harm in letting your (properly functioning) Pre run until it turns itself off. Unless the phone is already broken, it won't discharge too low.
    I went from Battery lasting 6-8 hrs to lasting 16-24 hrs+ just by turning off the USE GPS . It says right underneath the toggle "WILL REDUCE BATTERY LIFE IF ON"

Path To USE GPS Launcher/Location Services/USE GPS. Just rember to turn it back on for Navi or google maps. City Search and Other Apps still work with GPS OFF.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by alasvegas; 06/27/2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Toggle name is use gps not gps locator
    I've only had the phone since Wednesday, but yesterday after a full night's charge it came off the touchstone at 11:30 AM. When I put it back on the touchstone at 9:45 PM it was at 37%.

What makes that remarkable to me is this was with heavy usage. My wife went to get her hair done and it took longer than expected, so I sat outside the place and surfed the net (via wifi) for a good 45 minutes solid.

Afterward, we went to a movie which I bought via the fandago app and then to her parent's house, where again via wifi I did heavy usage of the device showing it to people. I forgot my car charger because we took her car, and I totally expected it to be dead way before we got home as I didn't think the battery would be sufficiently conditioned yet.

I am loving the fact wifi turns itself off when the phone is on standby-- I just leave wifi on.
  13.    #13  
    Ive owned it about 2 weeks now.

Still holding great charges and my GPS option is set to "on"
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    My battery life got a lot better after the 103 upgrade, and I let it drain once, and I turned off wifi. Roaming, data roaming are on and I top it off every night.

And I didn't have to sacrifice any chickens...
    So after reading everyone's technique on their battery life, which way is the best?!?!?! lol... I have only had my phone 4 days and see the battery life dwindle as I use the internet, I swear it drops 2% every minute im on the web. One guy said he leaves it on the charger all night? I thought you were not suppose to do that? Im so confused and just want to have battery life a little better and not at 30 percent or less when I get home from work. I do not have GPS on and I turned down screen brightness as well. Maybe after a few more charges it will get better thats what im hoping
    Why shouldn't you leave it on the charger over night? I've done that with every phone I've ever owned, including this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
    Why shouldn't you leave it on the charger over night? I've done that with every phone I've ever owned, including this one.
    I heard it kills the batttery if left on the charger all night long? don't quote me on that though bc I have no idea the truth behind that statement lol...just telling you what the sprint people told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight_Lauderdale View Post
    I heard it kills the batttery if left on the charger all night long? don't quote me on that though bc I have no idea the truth behind that statement lol...just telling you what the sprint people told me.
    It is certainly perfectly fine to leave your phone on the charger as long as you please. It won't hurt anything. But your phone will get warm.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    The technique depends on the user. Here's my setup

GPS on - Why? Because I don't keep apps open. If the apps aren't open, then I don't have to worry about GPS. GPS only drains battery if its being used and if you leave a Google Maps card up, your battery will drain. I don't do that. And when i open one of those apps, i obviously need the GPS.

Brightness down - Unless i'm in the bright of day, the low setting is perfectly adequate. I'm never really outside, at least in this hot weather.

Wifi off - I only turn it on when i'm going to be browsing around for more than 5 minutes. It's simple enough to start it up if I'm browsing longer than that.

Bluetooth off - I don't have any bluetooth devices so it stays off. If I did have bluetooth, i'd only turn it on when i needed it, like wifi.

I can use my phone from morning til night without having to recharge. And btw, leaving it on the charger won't hurt it. Batteries and chargers these days have been modernized so that they don't try and keep charging when they are done. That problem is no longer an issue in this day and age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight_Lauderdale View Post
    I think the (smart) lithium ion charging units are supposed to have circuitry that lets it know to stop charging once the battery is full. This is why the battery charging icon "bolt" is yellow when it is actually charging, and white after it tops off at 100%.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast