Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I don't believe the OP. The best I got out of the phone was 2% drain per hour on standby. I do not believe he made all those texts/emails/calls and the battery only dropped 3%.

Hell, I just downloaded an updated version of Tweed and checked it, and my battery dropped 3%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    I don't believe the OP. The best I got out of the phone was 2% drain per hour on standby. I do not believe he made all those texts/emails/calls and the battery only dropped 3%.

Hell, I just downloaded an updated version of Tweed and checked it, and my battery dropped 3%.
    I haven't done a deep drain in a while, and I've been topping off as often as I can. Now when I get the battery fully charged (100% + white lightning bolt battery icon), it takes about 10 to 20 minutes of usage before the battery drops to 99%, then it drops steadily from there. I believe this is because my phone is not properly "calibrated" with the battery. In other words, it thinks it's fully charged at 100% when it's really at about 95%. Perhaps when it's really at 90%, it will report 99%, and so on, and so forth. Perhaps not until the phone is at, say, 13% will it truly be accurate.

Getting the phone down to low levels, like under 20% or under 10%, then allowing for a full charge will "re-calibrate" the phone with the battery. This will then allow for more accurate readings. This is perhaps why some are stating that they run for a full day and only see the Pre report 50% battery power left. Their phones may be out of calibration.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I've got a question about battery calibration for you gurus out there. I know that to calibrate it (well, the meter anyway), you drain the battery fully, then charge it fully.
    Apple's instructions for my macbook pro, however, say to leave it for several hours unplugged past the point where it shuts itself down to fully drain it, then charge. Now, I don't believe that the newest macbook pros say that.
    What's best for the Pre? Just until it turns off, then charge, or let it sit for a few hours after draining to get the last little bit out?
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I've got a question about battery calibration for you gurus out there. I know that to calibrate it (well, the meter anyway), you drain the battery fully, then charge it fully.
    Apple's instructions for my macbook pro, however, say to leave it for several hours unplugged past the point where it shuts itself down to fully drain it, then charge. Now, I don't believe that the newest macbook pros say that.
    What's best for the Pre? Just until it turns off, then charge, or let it sit for a few hours after draining to get the last little bit out?
    I'm no guru, but I have a bit of experience.

In regards to phones, Palm phones, specifically Treos, I've had great luck topping off as Palm suggests, and have not had a Treo battery (since the Treo 600) fail me during each of their 2 year lifespans under my wing. I calibrated about once a month, but unintentionally, not purposefully. I'd follow what Palm recommends. (I'm not even sure what they recommend for the Pre, but I think it's to keep it topped off if you can.)

As for Macs, my last Mac battery died because I left it running until it was fully discharged. I had to get a replacement after that happened, but it was already 4 years old at that point. I'd say follow similar calibration methods (drain until about 10%, then fully charge) every once in a while (quarterly?). Now if you plan on keeping your laptop plugged in (like a desktop), I'd remove the battery at around 60% charge and leave it for storage until you use the laptop again for portability. It's not good to have laptop batteries fully charging all the time (even if the laptop is smart and stops charging when it's full), and not discharging for days/weeks at a time. This type of activity isn't common on a cell phone, so it shouldn't be an issue for most Pre owners.
    between the new updates and a new batt. settling in, the pre gets significantly better life than when it was released.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sYnOnYx View Post

I looked at my phone @ 11am and WHOA 97% and thats with me making a few calls and txts and emails !

Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post

Maybe you should learn to read the post correctly before calling someone a liar.

the final numbers I posted was throughout the day's usage.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12