Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Is the battery dead yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Yeah, but they keep changing the wires and circuitry for what works. I had the 32GB video iPod. Got the new one and had to get new cables. My husband bought a nano, because he lost his 120GB iPod (3rd loss). None of our accessories work to charge his new nano.

His installed stereo system in his car (for iPod devices) doesn't work, the clock radio doesn't work, the car cigarette lighter adapter doesn't work, the belkin chargers won't work, and the Belkin Stereo won't work.

They work on all of the previous iPods including my son's nano and my old mini iPOD. Just like changing a chip for the video in the new iPods, Apple has now change a teeth or wire for how you charge the newer iPods.

Normally when the battery wears out in my iPod, I buy the newest version instead of pay $100 just to replace the battery. Now I'll just keep the nonworking ones on the power source and I won't even consider upgrading to their new stuff. It was bad enough with the video chip change, but when you get to how the device charges, I can't just replace the car stereo system or Boss Stereo.

Those install were specific for the iPod and no other device works on them. Now I can get sound, but wouldn't be able to keep my device charged. Apple has written off this longtime customer. I am not reinvesting in new accessories for convenience I've already paid for.
    your points are valid, and yes, they did change the pin for charging, and that was stupid. But that still leaves a couple of wires for several generations of products, which at the time, was better than a lot of other cell phone companies. Your initial complaint makes it sound like every single ipod has different wire. It's more you have tons of accessories that now don't work, and I agree, especially since they didn't change anything really other than physical dimensions and unrelated hardware.
    Stock up on batteries
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Originally posted by linh.nguyen:
    Your initial complaint makes it sound like every single ipod has different wire. It's more you have tons of accessories that now don't work, and I agree, especially since they didn't change anything really other than physical dimensions and unrelated hardware.
    Actually, in the very first paragraph I state that it's the accessories. Again, for no apparent reason they switched it so that it affects their long time customers. I can't compare cell phone companies. Most of us upgrade our phones every 2 years or so. Thus, we wouldn't be buying the kind of accessories that we buy for the iPhone and the iPod for other cell phones.

We buy it for Apple mobile devices, because they have the same type of connection point for connect to PC and charging. Just like if you buy a Sony device it uses the same type of (memory card) Memorystick or Micro Memorystick regardless of whether you get a camera, PC, Camcorder, etc.

Since Sony and Apple make products that exclude using universal standard cables, like other devices (micro usb, mini usb, etc) then they only affect their own long-time customers when they make this type of change.

Since this is the second time I've been through this during the last 7 months, I would be leery of getting their phones or anything else that ensured I would be upgrading automatically.

Originally posted by Walter E Kurtz:
    Stock up on batteries
    If we're talking about extra batteries for iPods, they're not removable and have to be installed. Additionally, I now have the Pre so instead of carrying two devices, when the batteries wear out, I'll just keep the iPods mounted on charging sources and start using them like appliances or stereos that have to be at a power source in order to use.

In fact, I'm placing my old mini iPod in my husbands car so that he doesn't have to pull his nano in and out of the car or worry about loosing power when he's traveling in his car.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    If we're talking about extra batteries for iPods, they're not removable and have to be installed. Additionally, I now have the Pre so instead of carrying two devices, when the batteries wear out, I'll just keep the iPods mounted on charging sources and start using them like appliances or stereos that have to be at a power source in order to use.

In fact, I'm placing my old mini iPod in my husbands car so that he doesn't have to pull his nano in and out of the car or worry about loosing power when he's traveling in his car.
    I think he meant for the guy who forgot his charger.

And I feel you. When I upgraded to an iTouch it was incredibly frustrating that the FM adapter would function as far as audio was concerned, but it wouldn't charge the device. It was a HUGE inconvenience for me, considering that most of the charging of my iPod I did on my car ride. (I found myself with a dead battery so many times after that).

It's no longer an issue; my iTouch has since been stolen. I now use my old iPod video which the adapter does charge, but after having owned an iTouch it was absolute torture to go back to a click wheel.

Now that I have my Pre I use that as an MP3 player, despite all its slight problems (which they'll hopefully fix soon!). I still use the iPod in the car, but only because I don't have any auxiliary hookup to my radio (hence the FM adapter).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12