1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

Been a lurker for awhile...I owned a Treo 650 way back, then took a Palm hiatus because the call quality was so bad on that phone...fast forward a few years and now I'm thinking about trying the Pre.

I went into a store today and played with one for a bit. Thought it was pretty cool...much smaller than I pictured it. Screen looks amazing to me, and I like the cool swipe dots, though I'm not sure how to use them! haha...

I have a few questions...first, how is the call quality? On my Treo everything was quiet and thin...very hard to hear in anything but a quiet room. I also had comprehension complaints from people I was talking to. It just didn't pick up or put out sound very well...any cheap cell phone was a much better experience, and when I moved to a Moto Q, I was much happier in that respect.

I found the Pre to be pretty slow. I'd press on the screen and it would take around a second to respond. Same for swiping cards, etc...it seemed almost unusable to me. Is this normal, or was there something up with the one I was using? I can't imagine waiting around to do things that much...I'm used to doing a ton of stuff on my phone all the time, and if its really that slow, I'd probably have to pass for now...

One last, much more minor question. Can you adjust the way it interprets a tap? My natural tapping spot always came in a little lower then intended. Can this be calibrated?

Thanks!!

Mike
    The ones in store are running a demo and that can really bog down the experience.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    The ones in store are running a demo and that can really bog down the experience.
    Hmm...maybe I'll try it again...how do I quit the demo? I didn't find it super intuitive how to quit apps...
    Unfortunately, you can't quit it because it is a store model. Unless you can find a Palm Pre rep at the store who has one for personal use for you to check out. It definitely takes some time understand the gestures, but once you get acquainted with them, it is very easy and actually useful.
    To answer one of your other questions, the call quality will probably vary depending on your coverage but I have had only one dropped call while I was driving (between Palm Coast & Daytona Beach...coverage is very spotty in that area). The speakerphone is clearer than my outgoing 700p, and I find the incoming quality on par with some other phones I have used (HTC Touch Pro, Curve on AT&T, 755p, 700p, Centro, Instinct). I dont have any objective tests to vouch for it, but its not an issue for me.

I find the Pre to be laggy depending on the Apps I have open. It does take awhile to open some Apps...email, calendar, and some others have a delay. But switching between them is pretty fast.

I dont think the stores have demos on them, but I could be wrong. I think the ones I played with when I got mine were blank phones that have been setup (Palm Profile) but was a regular Pre outside of that.
  6.    #6  
    This one definitely had the demo running...I don't mind waiting for an app to launch, but it lagged on screen selections...like I'd try to scroll down and it would react late...or I'd hit the screen and it would light up half a second or so after I'd tapped it...
    Hey Mike,

I found the Pre that I own to be a lot faster than anything I've played with in the store. Also, I find the call quality to be excellent - probably the best I've ever experienced. Its loud, crisp, clear and there is no static. I've owned something like 8 other PDA phones in the past few years and the only thing that was equal was my Blackberry 8700.

Generally opening an application in lower service area (even if its NOT a network utilizing application) will be slow. I flap between roaming and 1 bar evdo service in my apartment so doing a lot of tasks takes some time, but in higher signal areas i find it to be very responsive. Generally after you start the application up its a lot snappier.
    Don't really launch many apps if you leave your most used ones open. And on the Pre why wouldn't you?

This really isn't your main concern. If you can get a Pre that isn't defective, that's half the battle. If your reception is good, then you're good to go.
    it's the bomb. that's all you need to know. . Get one, you won't be sorry. Maybe wait a month or so til a few things have been worked out. : )
    There are definitely memory leak issues which can currently be resolved with a soft reset. I've had my Pre since launch and after about a week of intensive use it started to act sluggish. I performed a soft reset and it's been as responsive as the first day.

Call quality is better than my previous Treo 755p. Others claim they can hear me better and I can definitely hear others better. The mic is excellent in speaker phone mode, probably the best I've seen. Incidentally I'm also using the Altec Lansing stereo bluetooth headset (BackBeat 903s) and the call quality is fantastic. Something to do with both sides having a mic and also being able to hear others in stereo. Unlike before I rarely have to say "what was that again..you're breaking up?"
    [QUOTE=Auberon Barnable;1713895]There are definitely memory leak issues which can currently be resolved with a soft reset. I've had my Pre since launch and after about a week of intensive use it started to act sluggish. I performed a soft reset and it's been as responsive as the first day.[QUOTE]

I think the memory leak issues were cleared up with the 1.03 update.
    [QUOTE=ronlongo;1713902][QUOTE=Auberon Barnable;1713895]There are definitely memory leak issues which can currently be resolved with a soft reset. I've had my Pre since launch and after about a week of intensive use it started to act sluggish. I performed a soft reset and it's been as responsive as the first day.

I think the memory leak issues were cleared up with the 1.03 update.
    I dunno, I'm noticing it more often now, but I'm not sure if it might have been the tweed/pandora updates. There's no easy way to diagnose this (well, no quick way).
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I don't think the memory leak is fixed. I tried to take a picture today and it said the memory was full. Did a soft reset and it worked fine.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks guys...

So the signal strength effects the speed of applications? I understand that in the context of a web browser, google maps, or other applications accessing info from the internet, but why would it effect 'local' apps like the camera, memos, etc.?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these at some point, but I might wait a bit to see if they do some revisions to the hardware. I certainly appreciate you guys buying early and handling the beta phase for me! haha :-)

Thanks!

Mike
    I find the signal strength and call quality/mic quality to be superb... but then again, I live in Miami
    I noticed the phone in my store had several cards open probably to show off the multi tasking abilities...shut them all down(flick them up off the screen) and then try opening other apps...the pre will be slow with multiple apps/cards open....hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    I noticed the phone in my store had several cards open probably to show off the multi tasking abilities...shut them all down(flick them up off the screen) and then try opening other apps...the pre will be slow with multiple apps/cards open....hope this helps
    I did the same thing to the Pre I was playing with. The guy next to me was complaining about his being so slow, so I showed him how to close them all. His next statement was "Ah that's much better".