Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Well, after using the Pre since release day, I have come to some conclusions that would make my Pre a lot more efficient. Sure, there are many tweaks that have been discussed already, such as blinking button/LEDs for notifications, etc. However, I feel that some navigation tweaks would go a long way.

1. Make the button user-assignable - I am sure most of us can agree that the button is seldom used; if used at all. I've become quite used to the gestures, and find myself just swiping up to get to the Cards view. It just makes sense. This not only makes the button pointless, but it makes it a hindrance in the gesture area. Why not have it function as an user-assignable button?! I would love to assign it to the Dialpad card, eliminating any gestures to quickly start making calls.

2. Integrate the launcher to the desktop - Sure, it is nice to have full-view of your desktop when utilizing your device, but how efficient is it?! I also like having the area to support my thumb when sliding the screen up/down. However, I feel that integrating the launcher window to the desktop (yes, like the iPhone) would be a lot more efficient. Requiring a double-tap to open applications on the desktop, would also provide the ability to use your thumbs to slide it up/down by eliminating unwanted opening of apps. Just makes sense. This would also eliminate the need for the quick launch list, making it only available with the wave launcher and giving the wave launcher some much-needed use.

Hopefully the "openess" of this OS will allow some developers to get these tweaks going.
    Last edited by akarol; 06/26/2009 at 08:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I totally agree with point 1. Don't use the button ever, except when someone else is holding the phone and I am showing them how to use it for the first time.

But point 2. How would that work with running programs? They would have to figure out how to get you to toggle between cards, and your desktop. Which makes it seems like they already thought of this and decided on the launcher as the solution.

iPhone desktop "launcher" works great because you can't multitask.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    What do you mean? You can have the card view acts just as it does, concealing the desktop icons until you are back to the desktop.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    If anything, add a little "GO TO DESKTOP" button somewhere. We are missing that ability as it is. I would like to be able to go to the desktop without having to close all my apps. Maybe I should add this to my list?!

UDPATE: Better yet, have the device go to the desktop (where all the icons would be) in the same manner as the launcher is opened. A second swipe!
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    The button is a design flaw. Either it should have been an optical ball or not included. Would have been much better with a bigger gesture area.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    @Smubeht - An optical ball would have been great. The hardest thing to do on the device is move a cursor once in a text field. Yes I know about holding down the orange button to move easier, but not super easy.

@akarol - I still don't get your plan for the desktop launcher. If you have cards open, you will have to get rid of them somehow to view the desktop. You say you will just go back to the desktop. will you have to swip all the way to one side so the cards are all off the screen? And if you add a "Go to desktop" button. Isn't that the exact same as a "launcher" button we have now? I just feel like Palm already thought through this whole idea and came up with what we have now, which I think is the most efficient.
    I would love to be able to hide the quick launch in the card view so that if no apps are running all I see is my background pic. Then when I want to launch I can always bring up the wave.
    How about minimizing the apps to the notification bar. When the app is in card view, swiping down would minimize it to the notification bar. Now that would be cool.
    Please allow paste in WiFi Password entry. Am I missing something here? Typing our WPA2 long key was painful.
    I agree with all of the above suggestions.

One I would add is to add gestures to control the text cursor for moving forward or backward a few spaces.
    I don't see why they didn't incorporate a 5 way cursor control into the device. It could have been built around THE BUTTON, or embedded into the keyboard. It would make it much easier to place the cursor and move it around a text document...not to mention selecting text.