Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I am on my fourth Pre. Each Pre I have gotten has had each of it's own problems.

The first had big white blotches on the bottom of the screen
    The second had more than 5 dead pixels
    The third (which was the best of the bunch) Had bad light leakage and the side of the screen all the way going down towards the microphone. It really looked bad. Palm and Sprint told me to return, after going to the store and showing them the phone.

Now I am on the 4th one. It has two problems.

It has two dead pixels next to each other towards the bottom and the slider seem to be more loose than the other 3 I have had.

My wife said I should live with this one. She tells me the next one might be even worse. The slider is not as loose as others on this forum have had, but it is loose and has a little movement left to right. There is only two dead pixels, yet they are next to each other, center near the bottom of the screen.

I am starting to agree with my wife. I have already gotten 3 bad ones and something tells me I will never get one that is almost perfect, maybe I should just stick with this one. Plus, this time around I might have to call Sprint or Palm directly to get another one, not at the stores.

What do you think? Should I follow my wife's advice and stay with what I got or should I say, I paid all this money I should not settle. Again, I am leaning on keeping this one, unless the slider gets worse in the next week.

Please real advice, not flaming about how bad the Pre is, or I am an ***** and shouldn't complain.

Each one of my devices I brought to the Sprint store and they were the ones that said it was no good.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I'm in a similar issue - 2 dead pixels (not together) and the slider is wiggling more than my gf's pre. I am going to wait a bit to see if it gets worse and if so get it replaced.
    did you not look at your pre before opening it? i dont understand why you'd walk away from the store with a phone that has dead pixels. youre paying a lot of money for a phone, go get yourself one that works properly.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre2009 View Post
    did you not look at your pre before opening it? i dont understand why you'd walk away from the store with a phone that has dead pixels. youre paying a lot of money for a phone, go get yourself one that works properly.
    I did look at at, but being my fourth Pre, I was told I couldn't return it there and I would have to call Sprint or Palm for the next return. Plus they didn't have anymore, but that wouldn't of made a difference. It is like this was my fault that every phone I have gotten has been bad in some way or another, which they confirmed. And no, I don't want to return it. I have been with Sprint for 10 1/2 years and I just came from an HTC Touch. This phone is still the best Sprint has.

I am getting tired of getting another one.
    well it's up to you... but for me, if I'm paying money for something, I want it as advertised, I don't want dead pixels or stuck sliding mechanisms... just my opinion, i mean if you were buying it used, I could understand, but new...?
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  6.    #6  
    My problem is that I know can't return to the store anymore because of how many I have returned. I would have to call Sprint or Palm directly and try to exchange again. Is it really worth my to keep doing this?
    if you dont have a problem with your current pre then dont waste your time. if you want one that works as it should, call them up. its really not that hard.
  8.    #8  
    If I do decide to exchange it, I will call Sprint direct and talk to a Supervisor or above. I really don't see the dead pixels unless there is a blank white or colored screen. But, knowing that they are there does bug me a little. I am going to at least wait to see if the slider gets worse until next week. My biggest worry is if they send me a new one, and that is even worse than the one I have, what to do then?
    Dfine- how are you going about returning these pres, do they just give you one right on the spot or make you wait for palm to send one, I have a small crack forming by my syncing port, I went in there and they tried to talk me into keeping it, and said it would be 3-4 days till they got it in, are they going to try and make me pay the 50 100 dollars under the protection plan, or am I goind to be able to just exchange it
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Enough already. I am tired about hearing it over and over. Some people have had bad luck with their phones and most have had perfectyl good ones. Why do people feel compelled to tell their story over and over again. I think we all have a good idea on this forum about some of the quality issues. I'm just tired of hearing these stories every day. The threads are there, if you feel you have to add your story, then add to that one.
    So the only stories you feel people should be posting are only the happy ones where palm pre rocks and kicks apple butts and bb butts and android butts and ony the ones that say theirs opens and closes with no problems and their signal is great and people come up running saying oooo, is that the new pre thats revolutionizing the smartphone world and how just holding the pre gets them dates? geez.

people have story to tell and sorry it doesnt fit your personal preferences. obviously it interests others for people to post and worth discussing... he paid good money for his pre... he toughed it out and went through a lot of exchanges in hopes of satisfaction. He deserves his moment to post. Don't like the post? Move on to the next. STFU dude.

Quote Originally Posted by gigaorg View Post
    Enough already. I am tired about hearing it over and over. Some people have had bad luck with their phones and most have had perfectyl good ones. Why do people feel compelled to tell their story over and over again. I think we all have a good idea on this forum about some of the quality issues. I'm just tired of hearing these stories every day. The threads are there, if you feel you have to add your story, then add to that one.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gigaorg View Post
    I'm sorry, each person is different. I know we all have had hardware problems, or at least some of us. If I put it to the end of someone else's post, my questions won't be answered. That is why I started a new thread.

The first two Pre's they exchanged right away. The third, they had to order which took 3 days. They told me if I had a problem with the 4th, I would have to call Sprint or Palm. I only asked when enough is enough. Should I give up and settle or try again. I didn't ask for complainers, or did you not read my original post. I was looking for honest advice. I am one person, who wanted a device that works correctly and has a little problems as possible.

Each Sprint store is different in the way they handle things. My store went as far as they could. They couldn't help that I kept getting bad phones. But now I can't return it store, at least according to the store, so my only choice is have it drop shipped to me, if they will even do it.

I just wanted to know if 2 dead pixels and a little wobbly slider was enough to return for the 4th time?
    honestly, i would give up on the Pre for now, seems like it's not meant to be? . Do you have a back up phone you can use for a few months until new pre's come out?
    Don't give up. You'd had a run of bad luck - that is all. You shouldn't have to suffer manufacturing defects for how much the Pre costs. I say give it one more go and make sure you have the insurance plan through Sprint for obvious reasons.
  15.    #15  
    The funny thing is this is the first time I have ever had a problem with a phone from Sprint. In 10 1/2 years with Sprint, I have never had this much problems with a phone. By the way, I have always had the insurance and only used it once when my Sanyo M1 went through the washing machine by mistake. Boy, was it clean, but dead.
    My Pre as well as my wife's Pre were both purchased within the first week of launch. I suspect that those who were able to snag one of the early ones when Palm's Q&A were taking their time had the best chance of getting a perfect one. Once Palm realized they really needed to ramp up production massively I'm sure Q&A suffered a bit.

If you do go for a 5th I would recommend not leaving the store until you're sure it's better built than your current Pre. I could live with a pixel out but not two near or (gasp) next to each other. The slider would concern me more since it's only going to get looser over time.

Or you could trade Pre's with your wife and have her return it for a new one..she seems to have better luck.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    My Pre as well as my wife's Pre were both purchased within the first week of launch. I suspect that those who were able to snag one of the early ones when Palm's Q&A were taking their time had the best chance of getting a perfect one. Once Palm realized they really needed to ramp up production massively I'm sure Q&A suffered a bit.

If you do go for a 5th I would recommend not leaving the store until you're sure it's better built than your current Pre. I could live with a pixel out but not two near or (gasp) next to each other. The slider would concern me more since it's only going to get looser over time.

Or you could trade Pre's with your wife and have her return it for a new one..she seems to have better luck.
    My wife has an Instinct for personal use and Blackberry Curve for Work on a different network her company pays for. The store already told me I would have to get the fifth through Sprint or Palm direct. They said that was what Sprint told them to do. I still think it is different from store to store. I will wait till next week to make my decision. It will also depend on who I talk to on the phone. I really don't want to ruffle any feathers at my local Sprint store. They have been good to me through the years. I'm right now trying to see if I can live with what I have.
    I'd keep it. I have enough crap on my glasses most of the time that I probably wouldn't be able to spot two dead pixels anyway.
    F it.. Return it, and get another one!! it's not your fault.. i have a Pre that is snappy, no light leak, and no dead pixels..

I say return it for another one! You deserve it !! it's only a few minutes on the phone! Sometimes returns are good for first production.. it might actually HELP Palm and have them demand better standards from overseas. Plus... your helping palms "numbers" for units shipped!!

Worse case they send you it in the mail... you inspect it with your best eye possible.. and if it's good.. put the old one in the box!
    The twisting/wiggle is driving me crazy. It's so slight, but I really feel strongly about it ... so I'm taking mine back. My friends have solid devices... no wiggle at all!!!

I know the wiggle will just get worse over time.

As for returning a product you're not happy with... if you're that person that complains about your food at a restaurant and when your friend/spouse says, "Send it back" and you don't... and you eat your crappy meal anyway... (I don't get people like this) well let's just say I always send it back if it's not up to my standards.

I wouldn't stop returning until you were happy. And most state laws require the exchange to re-start the clock on the 30-day time period.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast