1.    #1  
    Has anyone used Double Twist to sync music to their PRE? It sounds like a really cool program. I have a few questions about it.

1. Is it FREE?
    2. Does it TAG your music with album art? If so, is it EASY to do this feature?
    3. From the article it says that when media is synced to your PRE it stays in designated folders. If I sync an MP3 over that is named say "Jewel - Foolish Games" will it retain that file name? I heard that ITUNES jumbles up the names.

Any feedback on this product would be great.

FINALLY... Has anyone used Media Monkey? I tried it with my Pre and it worked great for syncing MP3's. Tagging songs is also pretty easy.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I was wondering the same thing about editing tagging and album art!

I was excited to discover Media Monkey the other day...only to learn that it's not mac-compatible (God i hate my wife's mac!). But if this Double Twist can do the job, that would be great!
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    When you copy music onto an iPod, Apple has a hidden folder called Music off the root directory, then below that, 50 more hidden folders F00 through F50. Inside of those folders are your music, with the file renamed to something like YSUG.mp3.

Apple primarily relies on the information inside the MP3 tags to show you what it's playing, and also uses an internal DB to track that sort of information, but the upshot is that if you want to pull a track from your iPod, good luck.

I had to deal with this a couple weeks ago-- a friend accidentally wiped out her iPod, and I had to use Recuva to get the raw files back. Because they were all renamed, I then had to use MP3Tag to turn the filenames into something recognizable. I still wound up with a LOT of files that didn't have tags, and thus I've no idea what they are without listening to them.

Doubletwist ignores all that Apple security-through-obscurity, and just copies the files into a visble directory on the Pre called "Music"-- no renaming or any of that nonsense. I haven't played with it enough to tell you if it's creating sub-folders, or if it all goes into just a single folder.

I did have issues with DoubleTwist when it tried to treat my Pre as an iPod, so I gave up on that pretty quickly and just manually copied a bunch of stuff onto the phone-- I tend to manually manage all my music anyway, particularly since I've got 3X more music than the Pre can hold, so things like iTunes and DoubleTwist don't buy me a lot.

I am more interested to see how DoubleTwist will deal with video on the fly, particularly if I do something insanely complicated, like ask it to put an hour-long 720P MKV file onto the device
    I have DT but can't figure out the album art thing. Is there a way to add it?
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I think that it's only transferring album art that's embedded in the MP3 file-- if you had a single graphic sitting in the same directory as your music, you would need to embed that into the file (MediaMonkey will do this), then transfer it again.

An inefficient use of memory to put the same JPG into 20 files instead of just referring to the one file, but everyone thinks that there's a 1TB drive for all media collections...
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=jsabo;1713654]I think that it's only transferring album art that's embedded in the MP3 file-- if you had a single graphic sitting in the same directory as your music, you would need to embed that into the file (MediaMonkey will do this), then transfer it again.

This is one of the things in Media Monkey that i was looking for elsewhere. So no luck with DT huh? Anyone have any other options for a mac user???