Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Of course, Sprint has dual std. phones, but the Pre is CDMA only.

A simple, obvious solution, that Sprint doesn't advertise.
    Call Sprint's international support 888 226 7212 Option 2
    and ask for them to send you a SIM card. It costs $20 for shipping.
    Use any old World GSM phone, insert the SIM and when you need to travel just switch on the GSM phone and your number will automatically be directed to the GSM phone.
    Obvious and simple but I could not get a straight answer from any store. Most people told me to buy a GSM phone and a SIM card when I get there and set my phone to forward. Works too, but you have to pay a forwarding fee per minute and TXT is not forwarded.

I hope this is helpful.

PS> Love my Pre - hate the battery!
    Do they still charge the exorbitant International Roaming fees? I know that even roaming in Canada is pretty ridiculous ($1.49/min I think). Wouldn't it be more convenient to just buy a pay-as-you-go phone in the country you visit?
    I am guessing the roaming fees are ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmglouis View Post
    Do they still charge the exorbitant International Roaming fees? I know that even roaming in Canada is pretty ridiculous ($1.49/min I think). Wouldn't it be more convenient to just buy a pay-as-you-go phone in the country you visit?
    $0.20/min with $2.99/month Canada roam plan. $0.59/min without.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Yeah, and as some of us recently discovered:

DATA WORLDWIDE

With this great add-on, you have the ultimate travel companion. Take your PDA with you overseas, including countries like Canada, Mexico, China, India and more. For use with Windows Mobile or Palm operating system devices, this add-on includes unlimited international web access and email. You can find the nearest piazza on the go, reply while relaxing and keep up with your inbox beyond the borders.

This comprehensive coverage also includes access to your corporate email account with Microsoft Direct Push Technology via ActiveSync. Pair it with the Samsung ACETM, and you can connect to the widely used overseas GSM/GPRS networks in more than 110 countries.

Pricing
    Data Worldwide — $40/mo.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    It's not cheap - 1.49 in the UK and 1.99 in most other places in Europe
    Didn't know about the data option though. That's good to know.
    Eh...I rather use a skypeIn number instead. Can't wait till a skype client gets ported to WebOS, then you could just use it internationally via wifi...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Eh...I rather use a skypeIn number instead. Can't wait till a skype client gets ported to WebOS, then you could just use it internationally via wifi...
    I bet sprint and the other carriers are gonna love that....
    I live very close to Canada and travel their often for family functions and entertainment and I hate upon crossing the border turning my phone off.

Do they charge extra for texts? I'd still be worried about data fees from Synergy as it doesn't appear to be able to be turned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I don't know about skype, but for rooted Pres, it appears there's asterisk in the repository, which from what I understand can connect to a standard SIP account such as Gizmo.

(Note, I haven't tried this myself).

NSLU2-Linux - Optware / Asterisk browse

It appears that you would still need some sort of card based GUI but I think it's already possible to do if someone wanted to spend the time on it. (I personally have no experience with asterisk and wouldn't know where to start.)