1. exi
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    All --

I'm an SUer who's been lurking here since long before the Pre was released. I purchased the phone on the morning of its debut.

I love it for the most part, and coming from a Touch Diamond, I'm glad to have a hardware keyboard again. But I also have several deal-breaking design flaws / bugs; thus far, the phone has repeatedly managed to turn off upon my closing of the slider (the "battery bump" issue, apparently fixable in a pinch by shimming the battery), rebooted a couple of times for no reason and without any jostling which may have been caused by slider movement, and failed to charge overnight for no apparent cause, despite the battery icon changing to reflect charging.

Secondary to a fully-working, non-refurbished replacement, I'm thinking that I may just end up going with another Sprint phone with a hardware keyboard. In that case, I'm curious, my fellow Pre fans: if you weren't going with the Pre, what other phone would you buy? Sprint still provides me with some decent discounts, so I'm on the fence as regards letting my contract expire in Q2-2010.

Small(er) size is a priority.

Thanks, folks.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    exi - the phone I had before the pre was pretty good. I had the LG Lotus. It has a great keyboard that is a lot bigger than the Pre's. I liked the UI but changed it - if you read their forums you can figure out how. It worked very well.

The only reason I wanted a pre - is because it was new and had a touchscreen.
    If your looking for something with a similar level of functionality then these are your choices: Something from HTC, RIM or Palm.
    the gf has a lotus. i just put snaptu on it and it made it even cooler, has a couple cool apps in it.

also i just put pandora on her lotus too, works good but i had to give her my little 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone adapter as the lotus has a 2.5mm jack
    htc pro, treo pro or bb.
    If you must not have the Pre, I would recommend the Sprint Blackberry Tour which is due out by end of summer or end of 3rd Quarter.
    If you can stomach WM then IMO the Treo Pro is the best phone with a keyboard that Palm has (besides the pre). Personally I would rather go without a phone then go back to WM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    After just updating the Wife's BB curve 8330 to FW 4.5. I set her up with Pandora, all the IM apps she uses on her desktop, and facebook myspace software. I am leaning towards the curve myself. Browser still sucks, but it is the most configurable phone out there for ringtones and alerts, in and out of the case can be configured separate. And I can read the screen in daylight.
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    The new HTC Snap is out. Touch Pro2 should be available some in Sept. I believe and the BB Tour should be coming pretty soon.
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Quote Originally Posted by weboslawyer View Post
    If you must not have the Pre, I would recommend the Sprint Blackberry Tour which is due out by end of summer or end of 3rd Quarter.
    I also recommend the Sprint Blackberry Tour!
    I tried the Snap in my local Sprint store.. it is very fast - very "snappy" - sorry, couldn't resist... its very similar to the motorola q/Q9c with updated features, etc... not a bad phone... If I can wait, I am looking to see the touch pro2 and later in the year, HTC Hero... it looks like a fabulous touchscreen only phone! I also can't wait to see what Palm has next under its sleeve... I know if you just bought the Pre, you have only 30 days to make up your mind! Best Wishes and good luck!
    If the Pre didn't exist, I'd probably get the blackberry tour. Should be out soon. The curve is getting a little old, imo, althoug for $50 its a great price.
    I all honesty, I think the Treo 755p and Centro are more capable devices, at this point in the Pre's evolution. In 6 months, I might have the opposite opinion, but there are still too many things the Pre won't do, or won't do well. For me, the P-OS still works better than WM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Wait a couple of months for the new andriod phone and put the hero ui on it for the best of both worlds. I might actually go that route if Palm doesn't knock my socks off with some OS tweaks in 1.04.
    Palm Centro. Not as sexy as the Pre, but very capable. I'm keeping mine until my contract is up, at which time I hope the Pre has all the bugs worked out and improved PIM apps.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    BB Tour is what I would be getting if this Pre wasn't so AWESOME!
    Blackberry for sure. Curve right now, or wait for the Tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Wait a couple of months for the new andriod phone and put the hero ui on it for the best of both worlds. I might actually go that route if Palm doesn't knock my socks off with some OS tweaks in 1.04.
    Sprint is getting an android? which one? really in Q3?