1.    #1  
    Lately I've been leaving some apps open in the background throughout the whole day, such as my Calendar, Google Maps, Tasks, and Memos apps... does anybody know whether this would affect battery life?

I really like how I can access and open instantly those apps that I use frequently throughout the day... My usage of the phone differs significantly each day so I can't really tell whether or not it has an effect.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bloogenes79 View Post
    Lately I've been leaving some apps open in the background throughout the whole day, such as my Calendar, Google Maps, Tasks, and Memos apps... does anybody know whether this would affect battery life?

I really like how I can access and open instantly those apps that I use frequently throughout the day... My usage of the phone differs significantly each day so I can't really tell whether or not it has an effect.
    I don't notice a difference when I leave 2-3 apps open during the day.
    After the recent update I don't notice a big drop when leaving apps open.
    Google maps, and anything else that uses location services, will likely affect your battery life if you leave it open.
    FOR 3-4 TIMES THE BATTERY LIFE: Turn off the USE GPS in the launcher ---> Location services menu. I was charging my phone every 6-8 hours. Now I can go 24hrs+ depending on usage. Hope this helps. By the way. Sprint navigation and google map directions dont work very well with GPS off. Just remember to turn the USE GPS back on.
    Last edited by alasvegas; 06/27/2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: change locator to use gps
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bloogenes79 View Post

When I first got the phone I would have a huge problem with the phone getting really hot and battery life draining insanely quick with apps open. After the 1.03 update it helped a lot. I tested it one day by leaving 4 apps on to see how long the battery will stay and it lasted at good 12hrs with some usage before charging. The battery getting hot also is not a problem anymore. It would really be great if Palm elaborated on all the detailed updates. It doesn't say anything about fixing specific battery issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by alasvegas View Post
    FOR 3-4 TIMES THE BATTERY LIFE: Turn off the GPS locator in the launcher ---> Location services menu. I was charging my phone every 6-8 hours. Now I can go 24hrs+ depending on usage. Hope this helps. By the way. Sprint navigation and google map directions dont work very well with GPS off. Just remeber to turn the GPS locator back on.
    It sure would be nice if those apps which use the GPS would recognize the GPS has been turned off and automatically turn GPS on when they are launched..and vice versa. At least there should be a setting for this.
    Telenav asks you if you want to turn on the GPS, and you can just click on a button to activate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    It sure would be nice if those apps which use the GPS would recognize the GPS has been turned off and automatically turn GPS on when they are launched..and vice versa. At least there should be a setting for this.
    I think that's how it works already:

Open Location Services

Auto Locate:

If you turn Auto Locate off and an application subsequently needs to know your location, a notification appears asking if the application can identify your location. Tap Allow to turn on Location Services for that session only.

Use GPS:

If you have installed a GPS application on your phone (sold separately), turn on this feature to provide location information to the GPS application.

Background data collection:

If you accept Background Data Collection, location services continually monitors your location, so if an application needs it, it's available right away
    yea GPS definitely drains your battery like no other. As others have said, a few apps open throughout the day shouldn't kill the battery life so much.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    To clarify, if I leave GPS on, does that mean that GPS remains on all the time, or just when an app needs to get my location? I would like to be able to use GPS without having to turn it on, yet don't want to keep draining the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by roninj View Post
    To clarify, if I leave GPS on, does that mean that GPS remains on all the time, or just when an app needs to get my location? I would like to be able to use GPS without having to turn it on, yet don't want to keep draining the battery.
    I think if you turn off Autolocate you should be ok.
    My earlier post was mixing up the names of the buttons sorry. GMONEY749 That is correct Autolocate does not drain the battery just the USE GPS toggle.

AUBERON: With GPS OFF if you want to use NAVI GMONEY and DR. Grace are correct there is a button that asks you to turn on GPS when launching navigation.

I just turned on GPS full time to see it will still drain the batt as fas as when i first got the phone almost a month ago now.