1.    #1  
    I am a new IT Manager (finally found a job after 3 months, and it is a dream job!!!).

I am looking into getting a new phone, currently have a Centro. IF there are any other IT guys out there, how does the Pre stack up against all other options, as far as Network management (Windows 2003 network) and notifications? I think there are many apps for the iPhone, and probably will be for the the Pre, or is the browser all we need anymore?

I am going to be running spiceworks for network monitoring and helpdesk functions.

What do you think?
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Currently there is nothing the Pre can do for us. There are just no appz that will satisfy our needs on that aspect. You can either wait for the SDK and develop your own or wait for others to develop it. OR you can just get an iPhone and have a multitude of apps at your disposal.

*Oh and congrats on the new job*
    I'd agree about the sparcety of apps, with a couple of caveats:
    1. I still get my notification via Nagio sending out SMS.
    2. I believe there will be lots of apps soon, but if you need something now, you probably should look elsewhere.
    Absolutle horrible for IT management.

Time will tell.

Otherwise, as a not so businesscentric use; beyond cool. Stick to the centro (although not so great either) until a month or so after august. I'm sure there will be better software available.

Friend of mine uses a aspire netbook to do all his work and got the phone cause he had to have one. Also got the wifi router thingy and he said he's glad to sacrifice mobile configuration just to have a Pre... To each their own.

Good luck with the new job! After 13 yrs I was forced a paycut or be replaced by a 10 an hour college kid with an iphone. :-(

I took the cut, and as the new kids boss........

No iphone allowed through my network! :-)
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Between SMS based solutions and being able to navigate through the browser, I think you should be fine until the SDK is released this summer. This just my opinion though!
    For my needs the Pre works out just fine. Any alerts/notifications I get are via SMS or E-Mail anyways. The only must have app that I'm currently missing is a SSH client. But I assume one will be coming out shortly after the SDK goes public.
    I work in IT as an upper level engineer. I am currently trying to get our IT security group to give me an exception so I can get EAS going. (Our servers have the PIN policy in place.)

If I can get past this I will be in good shape. I get all system and security alerts through e-mail so I am good there if I get e-mail setup. The only thing I really want now is a Cisco compatible VPN client and a remote desktop/VNC app.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I work in IT as an upper level engineer. I am currently trying to get our IT security group to give me an exception so I can get EAS going. (Our servers have the PIN policy in place.)

If I can get past this I will be in good shape. I get all system and security alerts through e-mail so I am good there if I get e-mail setup. The only thing I really want now is a Cisco compatible VPN client and a remote desktop/VNC app.
    In the same boat, I just hate having to carry my Blackberry along with my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    In the same boat, I just hate having to carry my Blackberry along with my Pre.
    I've been without GoodLink since the 6th. It has been annoying checking my e-mail so much on my laptop.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    If all you are looking for is EAS (without PIN/remote wipe) and the ability to run web apps (embedded and/or server hosted) then I think you will be more than happy. I'm 3000km away from the campus I manage and I can tell you that the Pre is working great for my needs.

However if you want/need other functionality/WebOS programs those are nowhere to be found at the moment. If I had to guess I would say it will come, esp once the SDK is out.
    I work as an IT systems and network/domain admin and I love my Pre. It does not do the same things a BB does but time will tell (Like everyone is saying) what webOS will bring in 6 months-1 years time. I really love the phone (coming from the boring dull Centro) and it is nice to feel cool again with an awesome looking mobile OS. I do hope that we get Sharepoint integration at some point because I do a lot of SP and SQL integration and I am SOL right now. It is a persion choice for you if your willing to sacrifice right now.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    It is cool to see all the other IT guys here. ii
    I am also waiting for some more tools but they will come.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    at the current moment the Pre wouldn't be a good fit for your job. As others have said, I would probably go with a jailbroken iPhone, you get all the apps, plus the 3rd party ones from Cydia / Installer
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  14.    #14  
    I've had a couple iphones, and don't really want to go back if I don't have to. Sounds like the Pre has potential, and I can't wait to get my hands on the SDK...

Thanks for all the comments. I really love the Pre, and as you can see in my signature, Palm in general. I am willing to wait, as the email and SMS should be fine for the time being. I don't want a Blackberry, and since it's my decision, we won't go that direction

As long as the coverage is OK in my area, I may take the plunge soon...
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    is there a plan for sms signature line?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'm a I.T. Manager too.. and LOVE the PRE!!!! We have a lot of Iphone users at my company & I already have 3 of them thinking of jumping ship & joining in the Pre Mania.

What I like most is being able to handled multiple Exchange accounts. I have 4 accounts setup on mine ( 3 exchange accounts & a Gmail account). I'm able to view all my calendars in one shot & manage all my contacts.

The ability to switch between Apps is great & wouldn't go back to my Curve.

I'm not worried about the lack of Apps. I know in 6 months time, their will be just as many Apps as the Iphone. Plus i already installed about half of the Homebrew Apps.

It comes down to personal choice in the end....
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Not a good choice as the only device for an IT Manager yet.

1. You can't directly manage servers with Pre. I'd recommend WinMob if you need that ability, plus no RSA device yet available for end-user secure remote access.

2. I wouldn't allow corporate Exchange data on Pre until there is a security certificate and corporate remote management - e.g. wipe. It took about eight months for it to be available on iPhone. Our few iPhone end-users were very impatient. I had to keep fending them off.

3. BB for rock-solid must-have-it-immediately-and-always e-mail delivery. IMAP IDLE is not nearly so reliable as Blackberry push. I've missed seven e-mails in about two weeks from Gmail. Dunno about EAS reliability for push, see #2. Thank goodness I'm not on duty 24/7 any more so it doesn't matter to me personally.

For now, I'd recommend a high-end Blackberry or Windows Mobile device for IT.
    Last edited by kabamm; 07/15/2009 at 09:46 PM.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    Windows mobile is the only choice right now... maybe IPhone, depending on your options... maybe BB, depending on your options...

I carry both winmob and BB... everyday.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I've been without GoodLink since the 6th. It has been annoying checking my e-mail so much on my laptop.
    Congrats on being w/o GoodLink.. we're currently migrating our users from GL to EAS.