Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    "Geotag Photos" & "Backround Data Collection":
    Do you guys have these on or off? Whats are you experiences with them?

    What about "Use GPS".... Do most you have this off to save battery life? Whats the main difference between "Auto locate" and "Use GPS"?


    Thanks
    There is no spoon
  2. Nrbelex's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    "Geotag Photos" & "Backround Data Collection":
    Do you guys have these on or off? Whats are you experiences with them?

    What about "Use GPS".... Do most you have this off to save battery life? Whats the main difference between "Auto locate" and "Use GPS"?


    Thanks
    Use GPS - enables use of the GPS receiver, plain and simple. I have it on.

    Auto Locate - Makes GPS available for use by any program (i.e. when you open Google maps, it will automatically begin using GPS to locate you). I keep it off and get prompted to use GPS by location-aware programs. This should also help save a little battery life.

    Background Data Collection - Apparently sends anonymous data to Google. I kept it for on for no real reason. Total personal choice. In theory, leaving it on might require marginally more network usage to send this info and could expose your data to misuse.

    Geotag Photos - Adds Lat/Long data to the EXIF info of photos you take with the camera. I can't find the toggle right now, but I presume I kept it on - there aren't many situations where I would need it off...

    Hope this helps!
    Brett
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    Use GPS - enables use of the GPS receiver, plain and simple. I have it on.

    I am confused about this though. If this is off I can still use Sprint Navigation. So how does it come into play?
    There is no spoon
  4. Nrbelex's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I am confused about this though. If this is off I can still use Sprint Navigation. So how does it come into play?
    That sounds like a bug. The Help program on the Pre describes the feature like this:

    Use GPS:
    If you have installed a GPS application on your phone (sold seperately), turn on this feature to provide location information to the GPS application.
    So maybe they have an exception for native apps...?

    Brett

    P.S. - where is the geotag toggle?
  5. #5  
    I would assume that geotagging photos needs autolocate to be turned ON. The phone would not ask you for permission to use GPS every single time you take a pic. I think you either have autolocate on and have the option to geotag pics, or you have autolocate off, and you lose the feature to geotag.
  6. Nrbelex's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    I would assume that geotagging photos needs autolocate to be turned ON. The phone would not ask you for permission to use GPS every single time you take a pic. I think you either have autolocate on and have the option to geotag pics, or you have autolocate off, and you lose the feature to geotag.
    Just checked and you're right. Auto-locate must be on for geotagging to be an option...

    Brett
  7. #7  
    I've been wondering this too.

    Does Use GPS mean that the GPS is actively on all the time or just that programs can turn it on if they need to?
  8. #8  
    just that programs can turn it on if they need to
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the help guys


    I feel like I need clarification on this "Use GPS" thing.

    It says "Improves Accuracy but can impact battery life". The "improve" part would indicate that it works in conjunction with an exsisting GPS function. Correct?
    There is no spoon
  10. Nrbelex's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    The "improve" part would indicate that it works in conjunction with an exsisting GPS function. Correct?
    Not necessarily. Location can be calculated based on proximity to wi-fi hotspots and cell towers. Older phones based location data solely on triangulation from cell towers, but it was still fairly accurate if you were in a pretty well covered area.

    Brett
  11. #11  
    Woah. Wait, if you have gps on its not really on unless its being used by a program like navigation? Because, for me, it kills my battery even more when I have it on
  12.    #12  
    So the phone can locate you without the GPS on...but will be more accurate with it on?

    Does the phone automatically turn it on when you go to Sprint Navi? Or should we be turning it on before we go to Sprint Navi for "better accuracy"?
    There is no spoon
  13. Nrbelex's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    So the phone can locate you without the GPS on...but will be more accurate with it on?
    Potentially, yes, but I can't say for sure whether Palm has it set to act this way...

    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    Does the phone automatically turn it on when you go to Sprint Navi? Or should we be turning it on before we go to Sprint Navi for "better accuracy"?
    I have very little experience with Sprint's navigation program, so I can't say... sorry!

    Brett
  14. Maximo_'s Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #14  
    If you have "Use GPS" turned on, it will only use it when a program requests it. If you have it turned off, when a program goes to use the GPS, it will either not work or it will estimate your location based on your proximity to cell towers.

    So you should keep the "Use GPS" turned on at all times unless you don't ever want any apps to use the GPS (you never use the Navigation, Google Maps, etc).

    Does the phone automatically turn it on when you go to Sprint Navi? Or should we be turning it on before we go to Sprint Navi for "better accuracy"?
    No it will not because you have "Use GPS" turned off. It will estimate your position based on cell towers, and you will save a little bit of your battery by doing so, but it will not be anywhere near as accurate. You can say goodbye to turn-by-turn navigation.

    Like I said though, there is really no need to turn it off and then back on before using the navigation, because it only uses the GPS when you start an app that needs GPS data. So you can just keep it on.

    It says "Improves Accuracy but can impact battery life". The "improve" part would indicate that it works in conjunction with an exsisting GPS function. Correct?
    It does not work with an existing GPS function. If you have "Use GPS" turned off, your GPS is turned off. Period. What it means by "improve" is that using GPS is an improvement over the cell tower proximity estimation. But improving upon that estimate by using the GPS chip uses more battery.

    Hope this helps! :-)
    Last edited by Maximo_; 06/26/2009 at 02:57 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Makes sense Maximo. I'm sold.

    Thanks
    There is no spoon
  16. GuinnessX's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo_ View Post
    Does the phone automatically turn it on when you go to Sprint Navi? Or should we be turning it on before we go to Sprint Navi for "better accuracy"?
    No it will not because you have "Use GPS" turned off. It will estimate your position based on cell towers, and you will save a little bit of your battery by doing so, but it will not be anywhere near as accurate. You can say goodbye to turn-by-turn navigation...
    That's not true--at least not with my Pre. If I have both GPS off and Auto Locate off when I launch Sprint Nav, it first asks me if I want to allow it to Auto Nav, and then when I click "Yes" it gives me this warning:

    GPS Is Off
    Your GPS is off. Without it, Sprint Navigation cannot route you to a destination.

    ...and it then gives me the option to either turn on GPS or exit.
  17. Maximo_'s Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #17  
    Yes the navigation app will not work without activating the GPS chip. Google maps however will use the cell proximity estimate. It is actually kind of funny to watch it do this. I turned GPS off and watched my location in Google Maps as I was driving down the road. Every minute or two it updated my location and had me jumping all over the map, and even had me half a mile out into the Atlantic ocean for a good three minutes as I drove down A1A lol
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximo_ View Post
    Yes the navigation app will not work without activating the GPS chip. Google maps however will use the cell proximity estimate. It is actually kind of funny to watch it do this. I turned GPS off and watched my location in Google Maps as I was driving down the road. Every minute or two it updated my location and had me jumping all over the map, and even had me half a mile out into the Atlantic ocean for a good three minutes as I drove down A1A lol
    +1 that

    Also, Palm should change the note on the USE GPS toggle from, "MAY IMPACT BATTERY LIFE" to "IT WILL SUCK DOWN THE BATTERY LIFE SO HARD AND SO FAST IT WILL MAKE YOUR TOES CURL". Serioulsy I went from 6-8 hrs. to 16-24hrs of batt life by turning it off. hope that helps.
    Last edited by alasvegas; 06/27/2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: mo info

Posting Permissions