Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Just a question I was hoping a more Tech Savvy person could answer for me...I am not Linux savvy at all and was wondering is there any point to rooting my Pre if I am not tech savvy or is it still a good thing to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by sward78 View Post
    Just a question I was hoping a more Tech Savvy person could answer for me...I am not Linux savvy at all and was wondering is there any point to rooting my Pre if I am not tech savvy or is it still a good thing to do?
    Here are some of the things you can do with a rooted Pre:

# Tethering
    # Enabling Hidden Features
    # Change the Default notification.wav Sound
    # Hide/Delete The NASCAR App
    # Modifying Stock Applications
    # Global Search Addons Tutorial
    # Flashlight
    # Drag Down Status Bar Menus
    # Add / Delete Pages in the Launcher
    # Edit the background of Dialer / Lock screens
    # Random Wallpaper Switching
    # Dynamic DNS for your EV-DO connection
    # Adding an option to turn Phone on/off
    # Add Words to AutoCorrect Dictionary
    # Brightness
    # Camera Modifications & Additions
    # Camera Remote View
    # Confirm Deletion on Email
    # Fix Email Attachments
    # Roam Control
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Here are some other things you could do:

I would advise not rooting unless you really know what you're doing and aren't risk-averse. Anyone can do it, but you have to decide if the risks are worth the rewards...

Brett
    Last edited by Nrbelex; 06/26/2009 at 01:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I'm going to agree with Nrbelex if you have to ask the question.

I rooted my Pre in about 5 minutes, however using "vi" as a text editor is an every day occurrence for me. You have to be at least somewhat familiar with a *nix terminal environment to do many of the hacks that deesugar mentions once you get the phone rooted.

For instance, to enable the code that allows you to "Add / Delete Pages in the Launcher" you have to modify a configuration file and remove comments /* */ from the code inside the configuration file. I used vi to do this -- there are other text editors that you can use from the command line, taking the file off the phone and modifying on your computer is also possible, but that adds to the complexity and add another chance for problems. IMO -- the safest way is to make a backup of the file on the phone before editing and edit directly on the phone.

If the only thing you want is to be able to do is tethering -- then I would say that rooting is maybe worth the effort. Though once you have your phone rooted and SSH installed you still need to be tech saavy enough to connect to the pre over SSH and configure your browser(s) to use the localhost SOCKS proxy.