Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. blz2's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
       #1  
    Palm reported much better-than-expected numbers on Thursday night after the close of regular market trading. Given the sky-high expectations going into the call, it was indeed a surprise at how handily the company was able to exceed Street estimates. The company reported a loss of 40 cents per share on revenue of $113 million. The Street was expecting a loss of 62 cents per share on revenue of $81 million. So, a nice beat on both counts. The company said that sell-through in the quarter was 460,000 units vs. consensus expectations of 450,000 units sold. The company reported higher-than-expected margins, cash levels were up, and management stated that Palm was seeing strong demand from its enterprise customers for the Pre.

    http://secure2.thestreet.com/cap/log...F10528439.html

    PALM 16.11 +2.09 +14.91%
  2. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    Palm reported much better-than-expected numbers on Thursday night after the close of regular market trading. Given the sky-high expectations going into the call, it was indeed a surprise at how handily the company was able to exceed Street estimates. The company reported a loss of 40 cents per share on revenue of $113 million. The Street was expecting a loss of 62 cents per share on revenue of $81 million. So, a nice beat on both counts. The company said that sell-through in the quarter was 460,000 units vs. consensus expectations of 450,000 units sold. The company reported higher-than-expected margins, cash levels were up, and management stated that Palm was seeing strong demand from its enterprise customers for the Pre.

    http://secure2.thestreet.com/cap/log...F10528439.html

    PALM 16.11 +2.09 +14.91%
    The article doesn't specifically state that the Pre has sold 460,000 units, only that in this quarter Palm has sold 460,000 units.
  3. #3  
    Someone delete this thread
  4. blz2's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    The article doesn't specifically state that the Pre has sold 460,000 units, only that in this quarter Palm has sold 460,000 units.
    ah yes. very true. subtract the 11 Centros and 3 Pro's lol
  5. #5  
    Those phones were sold in the quarter before the Pre was released.
  6. #6  
    So we can say around 400k then our somewhere around that.
  7. #7  
    No, we cannot say anything about these numbers. Theses are ALL from Q1, before the pre.
  8. mhelfer's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    Those phones were sold in the quarter before the Pre was released.
    truth++
  9. #9  
    I swear nobody actually reads anything anymore and to comment on it none the less.
  10. #10  
    i read today that the pro actually has done very well in a diff article..
  11. reminiz's Avatar
    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    i read today that the pro actually has done very well in a diff article..
    On the conference call yesterday, Jon R. said that Sprint had done really well in selling the Pro. Still a great, and now cheaper device for WinMo users.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by blz2 View Post
    ah yes. very true. subtract the 11 Centros and 3 Pro's lol
    I suspect that most of the 460,000 units were Centros. The Pro is only subsided by Sprint.
  13. #13  
    running web os
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
  14. #14  
    Not sure I agree. The Centro sells well for two (possibly 3) reasons

    1) Its cheap.
    2) It works on every carrier.

    3) Its the only PalmOS device left.
  15. reminiz's Avatar
    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Not sure I agree. The Centro sells well for two (possibly 3) reasons

    3) Its the only PalmOS device left.

    It looks like you could, if you wanted, still get the 755 at Sprint.com
  16. #16  
    “The launch of Palm webOS™ and Palm Pre was a major milestone in Palm’s transformation; we have now officially reentered the race,” said Jon Rubinstein, Palm’s chairman and chief executive officer. “We have more to accomplish, but the groundwork is laid for a very promising future here at Palm. Our senior management team is capable, motivated and focused on execution; there is a large group of developers waiting to build great applications for Palm webOS; and we have a new product pipeline that we think will set a standard for the industry.

    The company shipped a total of 351,000 smartphone units during the quarter, representing a 6 percent increase from the third quarter of fiscal year 2009 and a year-over-year decline of 62 percent. Smartphone sell-through for the quarter was 460,000 units, down 5 percent vs. the third quarter of fiscal year 2009 and down 52 percent year-over-year.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    They need to forget about the Centro and other antiquated products like the 755 that aren't selling well anymore, and focus on webOS hardware including a GSM version of the Pre so they can expand into international markets.
  17. Fishous's Avatar
    Posts
    129 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    #17  
    What kind of accounting magic are they using where the FOURTH quarter ends in may?
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
  18. #18  
    Fourth financial quarter
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    What kind of accounting magic are they using where the FOURTH quarter ends in may?
    It's called the fiscal year. They can start it whenever they want. I'm guessing in Palm's case, their fiscal year starts in June and ends in May.
  20. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    What kind of accounting magic are they using where the FOURTH quarter ends in may?
    different industries, and sometimes even different firms in the same industry, have fiscal years that start on days other than January 1. My job has a July 1 fiscal year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions