1. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Man, I'm freakin sick of this poor-mans google maps!! My girl friend's $99 flip-phone has a better version!!

I want Transit info! I want Street view! I want favorites and an ability to access "My maps"! What about Latitude? or offline access to maps and routes you've used before??

damn it!!
    Have you tried sprint navigation...it's pretty good.
    We all agree. On my windows mobile version, google would cache all the maps ive used, and could easily look around on the maps, zoom in and out and whatever. The pre wont even load the menu system without a signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    Man, I'm freakin sick of this poor-mans google maps!! My girl friend's $99 flip-phone has a better version!!

I want Transit info! I want Street view! I want favorites and an ability to access "My maps"! What about Latitude? or offline access to maps and routes you've used before??

damn it!!
    Dude...this phone is giving you way to much stress. Its only a phone. There are a handful of threads started by you around here that basically go...."I hate this stupid phone!" Lengthen your life by 3 years and return it.

Did you try it out in the store before purchasing? Did you do any research prior to purchasing? There must be 100 video tutorials on the net showing the features/limitations of Google Maps on the Pre. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see these additional map features as well. The iPhone didn't have all this stuff on launch but it came eventually just as it will for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    my major complaint about this version of google maps as opposed to the version i had been using on winmo is that the pre version does not appear to remember anything i have searched for previously.... so if i am on a road trip and modify my destination en route (like to find the nearest cheese shop in ohio's amish country, for example) i have to re-enter the final destination completely once i have my cheese fix. ditto if i happen to close the card because i know where i am going for the next 60 miles or so. pretty annoying....
    google will fix it and add more features. we cant have everything at once soon grasshopper, soon
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    yup
    Why on earth they don't do a google EARTH on Pre ?
    ^^ Google Earth is an application designed to be run on a computer. The Pre is a smart phone, a great smart phone, but just a smart phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    ^^ Google Earth is an application designed to be run on a computer. The Pre is a smart phone, a great smart phone, but just a smart phone.
    the iPhone has Google Earth and it works just fine dude!
    Again, why not use Sprint Nav? Google maps suck on any platform
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskk View Post
    Oh crap.
    Dude...this phone is giving you way to much stress. Its only a phone. There are a handful of threads started by you around here that basically go...."I hate this stupid phone!" Lengthen your life by 3 years and return it.

Did you try it out in the store before purchasing? Did you do any research prior to purchasing? There must be 100 video tutorials on the net showing the features/limitations of Google Maps on the Pre. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see these additional map features as well. The iPhone didn't have all this stuff on launch but it came eventually just as it will for the Pre.
    Maybe he's just trolling.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Its only a phone.
    I want to hold a rally in order to abolish the line "It's only a phone".

With things like Calendar, Rolodex, Email, MP3 Player, Video, Camera, Radio, Text, IM, GPS etc, it's become the hub of our entire lives. So to have expectations beyond just making phonecalls isn't unreasonable. And in this case, the OP is right. This is supposed to be one of the most advanced smartphones on the market yet the Google Maps provided is inferior to even the cheapest of basic phones.

I agree that we should all be patient, but considering how tightly integrated the Pre is with Facebook and Google then it is surprising that we didn't get a top notch app from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskk View Post
    Cool, I suspect the ported it from the Mac. Won't be possible to do a Pre version that way of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    yup
    Why on earth they don't do a google EARTH on Pre ?
    Because the data is about 1/4 of the storage space on the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I want to hold a rally in order to abolish the line "It's only a phone".
    My thought is that while it does technically replace the functions of the items you list above it doesn't necessarily do it as well, nor can it, and therefor we need to adjust our expectations a little.

While the Pre is not as fully featured in some areas, I think it compares favorably to opining efforts by other manufactures.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 06/26/2009 at 01:30 PM.