1.    #1  
    Well today I logged into google docs on my pre.
    I use it for a spreadsheet that I keep track of some info.
    Well anyways today when I logged in Google Docs spreadsheet it looks totally different. When I first started using it looked identical to using it on my desktop now it is all weird LOl. I dont' know if it is good weird or bad weird yet..
    Has anyone else noticed it.?
    It is almost like it is a mobile version now instead of the full version of the site..(Never seen the mobile version of the google docs site before.)
    Interesting, I think I'm still seeing the desktop version. Could you post a screenshot?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Interesting, I think I'm still seeing the desktop version. Could you post a screenshot?
    HEre is what it used to look like:

Here is what it looks like now:

and editing:
  4.    #4  
    You will notice the tabs are now on top of the page instead of the bottom.
    Also editing is different. Used to just click a cell and it would edit it just like on the desktop now you get submit and cancel buttons. Maybe I changed something on my pre that I didnt' realize lol . I know I didn't change to a different URL as I had my google docs as favorites.
    I noticed that too. Now I am waiting until they make the Gmail web client behave properly on the Pre. And maybe Google Reader, too!
    you are now viewing the mobile version of the google docs. you might have clicked the link by mistake or probably logged into google.com from a search and it remembered you are browsing from a mobile. either way, the mobile version is a lot better for the pre, try the word processor, it looks great!

btw: the coolest thing about the pre keyboard, is that you can do things like this and still keep all of your screen for ACTUAL work, and not some crappy virtual keyboard taking 50% of your screen.

I love my pre =)
    btw, i added google docs to a "page launcher" so that i can call it up from universal search and it looks and acts pretty much like an actual app. except that all my documents are always accessible from my pc, laptop, and now phone. no need to worry about syncing etc
  8.    #8  
    But the weird part is I had them as favorites. So I'm using the exact same links I have always used. In fact on the main webpage that shows a screen shot of the page it looked like the desktop version until I clicked on it today. They must have coded to recognize the pre web browser as a mobile version now or something?
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    They must have coded to recognize the pre web browser as a mobile version now or something?
    Yep, either code change or cookie usage to retain settings/views, etc.
    Is there a way to force it to use the regular desktop version of the google apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Is there a way to force it to use the regular desktop version of the google apps?

yea the browser on pre is great so we dont need the "mobile" version of google docs....same as espn websites are better on the pre straight up...
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Again, is there a way to force use of the desktop version of google apps?

I tried logging in to google and got the full iGoogle web page just like on my desktop. BUT when I navigate in that window/card to google docs, I still get the mobile version. Also, in addition to the problems listed above, my spreadsheet only shows about 20 rows, and I have over 150 in that sheet.

Does anybody know what changed to make this happen?
    not to derail, but how to take screenshots on pre??
    simultaneously hold down orange+shift+p for screenshots
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    How'd you figure that out, ozone?
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarwong View Post
    btw, i added google docs to a "page launcher" so that i can call it up from universal search and it looks and acts pretty much like an actual app. except that all my documents are always accessible from my pc, laptop, and now phone. no need to worry about syncing etc
    This sounds very interesting. Could you explain how to do this?
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Quote Originally Posted by bjshedwick View Post
    This sounds very interesting. Could you explain how to do this?
    I know this question is off topic, but here is the answer...

assuming that you are asking how to make a page launcher, follow these steps:
    1. browse to the page you want
    2. tap the Web menu, then Page, then Add To Launcher
    3. Specify a name for your launcher icon

This puts an icon on the first page of your launcher so that you don't have to open a browser and find a bookmark, etc. The added bonus is that you can pop open you keyboard and just start typing the name you specified and it will appear in the app list in universal search.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaguarDawg View Post
    Again, is there a way to force use of the desktop version of google apps?

I tried logging in to google and got the full iGoogle web page just like on my desktop. BUT when I navigate in that window/card to google docs, I still get the mobile version. Also, in addition to the problems listed above, my spreadsheet only shows about 20 rows, and I have over 150 in that sheet.

Does anybody know what changed to make this happen?
    If you switch to Google Reader or Gmail, then look all the way at the bottom of the web page, down by the google copyright. Do you see Mobile | Desktop? I have always been set to mobile, i just clicked on Desktop. after the refresh, I went back to google docs and now I see the Desktop version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rawdeadfish; 06/30/2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added that gmail shows the same options at the bottom
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdeadfish View Post
    If you switch to Google Reader or Gmail, then look all the way at the bottom of the web page, down by the google copyright. Do you see Mobile | Desktop? I have always been set to mobile, i just clicked on Desktop. after the refresh, I went back to google docs and now I see the Desktop version.
    I found the 'mobile' and 'desktop' links on the bottom of the page, but when I go to the spreadsheet, it still shows only the first 13 rows. Could it be that my spreadsheet is too big? It does have quite a few calculations, though they are very simple ones (A1/60*100).

Thanks for the help so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdeadfish View Post
    I've done this repeatedly but nothing changes. And then, whenever I check, it's back on "Mobile" instead of "Classic" or "Desktop."

This is definitely a change from the days when I was messing with the demo Pre. Kinda makes me wish I could go back.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.