1.    #1  
    Maybe this has been covered, but for me it is just discovered.

Make sure you have "Show notifications" in your email accounts set to "ON" if you use Airplane Mode or power off your phone at night.

Mine were all defaulted to off (after a partial erase), but I thought I was getting notified just fine for emails and texts, because the little icon still appears in the bottom right hand corner. Tap it and a header appears. Tap the header or swipe away. Worked for me.

Until I used Airplane Mode at night that is. Any emails sent during the time your Pre was in Airplane Mode, and downloaded to your phone after you turn AM off, will not show even a hint of having arrived. No envelope icon in corner, not EVEN a number added to your unread emails in your inbox.

Only if you are lucky enough to scroll through your inbox might you notice them (in my case one from my boss).

If you had "SHOW notifications" off like me, you will find when you turn them on that the only difference in daily use is that a header will first pop up with the subject line, then disappear to leave the tiny envelope icon. Not a huge difference, unless you turn off your Pre or use Airplane Mode.
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/26/2009 at 08:04 AM.
    This sounds like it's operating as designed to me. There is another tread on here some place with a guy that was having a similar complaint.

Assuming you have e-mail notifications/delivery set to "as they arrive" your phone will only notify you of new mail as it arrives. Therefor if your phone is off or in airplane mode when mail comes in it has no way of telling you. Once you turn your phone back on/off of airplane mode, there is nothing to tell you about anymore because the messages have already arrived to your inbox on the server.

To "solve" this you either have to set your phone to check for messages every so often or check manually after you wake up in the morning.

Naturally this is all to the best of my knowledge.......
    If you are on Airplane mode your phones radio is off.. The signal is only sent once.. If your phone is off the network it will not resend.

Solution is probably best to check your email after turning airplane mode off.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    To "solve" this you either have to set your phone to check for messages every so often or check manually after you wake up in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdcamjc View Post
    Solution is probably best to check your email after turning airplane mode off.
    Best solution for me was as posted. Set "Show notifications" to ON. Then even if you have "As it arrives" checked, as I do, emails that arrived at server while in Airplane Mode still pop up with a notification when downloaded to the Pre. No manual checking, scrolling, or reading necessary.

Didn't declare a bug, just wanted to warn others that the default is off for "show notifications", and that until you have experienced this, it is perfectly natural to think you are already "being notified", because you are with the little envelope icon. But that is not what Palm means by that. They mean show the subject header briefly.
    Interesting. I set 'show notifications' to ON soon as i setup my email accounts. Yes, the default is OFF for some reason.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!