Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey everyone - I've only dug through half of these forums so if this battery-saving suggestion has already been thrown out there, please forgive me.

My top reason for getting the Pre was the email support, particularly with IMAP. I have two important business email accounts that I have set to notify instantly and refuse to change that. Like many of you, I was in the camp that drained down to 20% after just 12-14 hours of use... pull off the charger in the morning, plug it back in at night.

I forgot to plug my Pre in one night and miraculously found it still on in the morning, draining a mere 10% of the battery. What was different? Well, I wasn't receiving 50+ email notifications. So I decided to see how I could address things. I looked through my email account settings and decided to turn off notifications but leave the sound on. As I expected, sounds played as emails arrived, and when I turned the phone on the notifications were still down below, it just did not turn on the backlight.

I started this test after pulling it off the charger (100%). 36 hours later I'm at 60% battery! That includes moderate use of text messages, camera and a handful of phone calls. If this continues I'll have extended my battery six-fold. Nice!

And as a side-effect, I've left notifications on for text messages, so I have a visual clue as to when they come in over emails, since we can't set separate sounds, as of yet (unless I missed something).

So that's it. For those with instant emails, head into the account settings and turn notifications off and see what results you get. You'll still have all of the notifications listed at the bottom, it just wont turn your backlight on 50 times more than it needs to.

Dave
    thanks for the tip. i know my blackberry would not turn on the screen when i got a new notification but the led would flash. i'm sure this has a real affect because my bb has tremendous battery life. i just wish we had led notifications..but i know that will come officially or unofficially. i am going to take your suggestion and see how it works.
    Nice, I'm trying it right now. I actually still have a GREEN battery indicator. Flipped the notifications off on all three of my accounts. I only have sounds turned on on one of the accounts.

Thanks, I'll report back tomorrow.
    I'm trying out your idea as well. Turned off all notifications but left the sound. I also left my SMS notification on but don't get nearly as many text messages vs emails so we'll see how it goes.
    just did this, lets see how it holds up for the day
    Im trying it too..although I think my battery issue here at work is due more to a constant roaming signal.
    Trying it as well but I'm with LeftyMan. My 700p got bad signal at work too but I kept it on the dock most of the day so didn't really notice a battery issue.
    i am also trying this. i get around 50 emails a day and my battery life has been a lil below avg..

at 9:17 its at 78% lets see..
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    thanks for the info......i'm trying this out as well!
    hope this works, cuz i'm sick of taking my charger everywhere i go.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdbillups View Post
    Trying it as well but I'm with LeftyMan. My 700p got bad signal at work too but I kept it on the dock most of the day so didn't really notice a battery issue.
    I bring my powercord to work with me faithfully need to find a spare soon..
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    I do the same. Unplug it at home and throw it in my messenger bag with all my other charging cables (camera, bluetooth, etc) when I head to work.
  12.    #12  
    Anyone seeing any preliminary results yet? Started at 60% this morning and ending up at 45% 8 hours later. This time 48 hours ago I'd be plugging in...
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
    And as a side-effect, I've left notifications on for text messages, so I have a visual clue as to when they come in over emails, since we can't set separate sounds, as of yet (unless I missed something).
    I think this is your only option for SMS anyway... Unlike with your email notification tip, if I try to do the same thing for SMS settings, the "Play Sounds" option disappears. I wonder why it's different...
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Nevermind, found it
    I'll give it a go...
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    Monoprice.com has 1.5 foot micro-USB cables for around 80 cents. I bought five of them-- one for my main charger at home, one for the computer at work, one for the computer at home. The original cord is in the laptop bag, and the other two are in the drawer for when I eventually lose one.

While a little short, they more than get the job done, and my only charging issue is to remember to juice it up for a couple hours in the afternoon if I expect to have a late night.

They also work just fine with the USB extension cords I've got, which gets around the whole 1.5 foot issue.
    Interesting thread, but one note of caution:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1712798#post1712798

http://m.forums.precentral.net/showt...98#post1712798
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/26/2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Thanks I'll try that. I've personally foudn the palm pre battery use very acceptable. I guess after reading some of the posts here I was expecting it to be a near show stopper, but after using it I've found that the battery life is as good or better than my previous phone- a htc mogul. Under 'moderate' use (for me), it lasts from early am to late pm easily. I could definitely see how it would die under heavy usage though. And if you have a poort signal- forget about it- but that is no different from many smartphones.
    So I made the suggested preference changes. It's been 50+ hours of typical use, and my PRE still has 17% charge! Previously I could not go beyond 12 hours without recharging. This was a terrific tip! Has anyone else experienced this?
    R you guys changing notifications in the email accounts? What about just going to screens settings and turning off the option for all notificaions when locked...trying today.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast