Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was at Hooters last night with my buddy, just hanging around enjoying the scenery, when all of a sudden this guy comes up to our table and asks me if my phone was one of those knock off iPhones!!! At first I thought he meant that my phone is the kind of phone that just tries to look like an iPhone, meaning he could have confused it for a variety of other phones like the Touch or the Instinct...but no,...after he kept talking, he actually meant that chinese iPhone knock off with the horrible screen, 5 speakers, horrible touch screen, and two batteries! It just so happened that my buddy who was with me and who now has a Touch Pro, had this particular iPhone knock off before...it lasted all of 6 months before it took a crap.

For someone to confuse a sleek device like the Pre, with this humungous, and ugly, iPhone knock of.....is....I am just lost for words....

Another person confused my Pre with a HTC Touch today...and the guy is a phone geek...

Sprint/Palm....crank up the ads....people still don't get it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I was at Hooters last night with my buddy, just hanging around enjoying the scenery, when all of a sudden this guy comes up to our table and asks me if my phone was one of those knock off iPhones!!! At first I thought he meant that my phone is the kind of phone that just tries to look like an iPhone, meaning he could have confused it for a variety of other phones like the Touch or the Instinct...but no,...after he kept talking, he actually meant that chinese iPhone knock off with the horrible screen, 5 speakers, horrible touch screen, and two batteries! It just so happened that my buddy who was with me and who now has a Touch Pro, had this particular iPhone knock off before...it lasted all of 6 months before it took a crap.

For someone to confuse a sleek device like the Pre, with this humungous, and ugly, iPhone knock of.....is....I am just lost for words....

Another person confused my Pre with a HTC Touch today...and the guy is a phone geek...

Bring out the baseball bat Manny and show these people some "common sense"

I have noticed a GREAT amount of the Palm "China" ads on TV lately. I have seen a ton of them in the past few days.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I dont think the pre will gain enough ad space until it goes to other companies (verizon at&t). Until then people will confuse with just about every other phone out there or claim there phone is better because they dont know any of the features. Palm needs to do a commercial like apple first did with a lame song in the background and just showing off multi tasking in every possible way. (apple's first commerical showed off web browsing, facebook and then showed the phone getting a phone call)

Wow Manny. That is ridiculous. Makes me want to sharpen my horns!
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    I've only had one inquiry while in public at Red Lobster. Asked if that was the new Pre because she saw me slide open the keyboard. And this was within days of the launch. I was impressed.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    I was at Hooters last night
    I think this says it all.

When you're at Hooters, there are many things that are "humungous" and fake.

I'll stop short of making and comments about "touch pros" at Hooters...
    A cute girl from my work asked about the phone but she was upset it wasnt on Verizon.

I've had several people come up to me and ask if it was the Pre and how I liked it
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products

They can't crank up the ads until they actually can build enough phones to stock the stores and keep them stocked. Palm / Sprint had about 100K phone available at launch. Apple had about a million. No point in advertising what you don't have.

And I'm not sure it's a good idea to sell huge quantities until they've worked out more of the bugs. Selling a million phones, only to have 200,000 be returned, isn't good business.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    some people are stupid, what can you do.
    Dont let it get to you
  10. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    lol that sucks
    watch what happens if someone does that to me
    home boy will get the crap cussed out of him
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre

I think the bigger problem is the fact that you worry about what people think of you or your phone. You don't derive your worth by what phone you use, or by what phone strangers THINK you are using.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Let's consider this for just a moment:

YOU WERE AT A FREAKIN' HOOTERS!!!

What did you expect? Someone to come up to you and tell you how to split an atom?

BJ
    FINALLY had someone notice my phone and know what that it was a Pre last weekend at my 10 year HS Reunion ()! He was sad that he had an iphone! LOLZ
    I lurve my Pre! <3
    Hey! Nothing wrong with Hooters! I go there for the chicken wings!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I had a guy in my friend's building recognize the Pre on the night of June 6th. He's certainly in the minority.

The iPhone is so successful because of recognizability through marketing; the actual functionality of the phone has very little to do with it. The average man on the street has no idea Palm is even a company.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    They can't crank up the ads until they actually can build enough phones to stock the stores and keep them stocked. Palm / Sprint had about 100K phone available at launch. Apple had about a million. No point in advertising what you don't have.
    It's all about mindshare. Whether it's available or not then consumer awareness determines your success. And that's exactly why the OP was in a situation where his alien device was confused with an iPhone.

Kleenex, Xerox, Coke, Purell, iPod, Tivo, Gameboy and soon enough... iPhone. They weren't the first smartphone or even the best. But they made the public aware and unless competitors start advertising then "iPhone" will be the default term for smartphone.
    Anyone else think the Palm Pre ad is worthless? All the palm.com video is about behind the scenes for this beautiful commercial. NONE of it really shows what the phone can do. The thing is, I know what the Pre can do. Tell people. When you don't show it and only have people dancing in a circle, they assume everything is just hyperbole.

Come on Palm, a simple commercial with a demonstration would be great.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Anyone else think the Palm Pre ad is worthless? All the palm.com video is about behind the scenes for this beautiful commercial. NONE of it really shows what the phone can do. The thing is, I know what the Pre can do. Tell people. When you don't show it and only have people dancing in a circle, they assume everything is just hyperbole.
    Exactly. The Pre ads are a beautiful representation of "something", but after watching it then I'm thinking more of taking karate classes then buying a cellphone.

Hopefully Palm changes its strategy because right now it has the most elegant looking interface out there. Most people are familiar with the iPhone grid of apps, but demonstrate the card system or that useless "wave launcher" and you're sure to turn a few heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmous1 View Post
    Let's consider this for just a moment:

YOU WERE AT A FREAKIN' HOOTERS!!!

What did you expect? Someone to come up to you and tell you how to split an atom?

BJ
    lol.
    Only a few people that I have shown my Pre to knew what it was. Most people are literally clueless, even people who have Sprint, and consider themselves "in the know" about technology. It isn't until I sit them down and give them a demonstration of what the Pre can do that they become interested. I've actually gotten 3 people to say they are going to buy one after seeing its capabilities.

I agree 200% about advertising, it doesn't matter if the supply isn't there yet, people need to know about this device before its too late and HTC, Nokia and Android devices start hitting the market hard, not to mention iPhone 3Gs commercials running about 3 per program. A simple commercial showing off the OS is all they need, people will be hooked. Even the Pre commercial with the Facebook backdrop doesn't really show much. I don't know who is behind the advertising campaign, but they need to step it up big time.

PS. That commercial with the dancing kids... I couldn't tell if that was a cell phone commercial or a commercial for Flomax, honestly.
    Last edited by boston_ant; 06/26/2009 at 01:45 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast