Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmous1 View Post
    Let's consider this for just a moment:

YOU WERE AT A FREAKIN' HOOTERS!!!

What did you expect? Someone to come up to you and tell you how to split an atom?

BJ
    WIN.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I was at Hooters last night with my buddy, just hanging around enjoying the scenery, when all of a sudden this guy comes up to our table and asks me if my phone was one of those knock off iPhones!!! At first I thought he meant that my phone is the kind of phone that just tries to look like an iPhone, meaning he could have confused it for a variety of other phones like the Touch or the Instinct...but no,...after he kept talking, he actually meant that chinese iPhone knock off with the horrible screen, 5 speakers, horrible touch screen, and two batteries! It just so happened that my buddy who was with me and who now has a Touch Pro, had this particular iPhone knock off before...it lasted all of 6 months before it took a crap.

For someone to confuse a sleek device like the Pre, with this humungous, and ugly, iPhone knock of.....is....I am just lost for words....

Another person confused my Pre with a HTC Touch today...and the guy is a phone geek...

Sprint/Palm....crank up the ads....people still don't get it!
    What kind of complete d-bag comes up to a stranger at a restaurant and talks **** about their phone? It's a phone. They're all made in China and at least knock-offs of the iPhone can actually serve their primary purpose well - making phone calls.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    You lost me with "I was at Hooters"
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Anyone else think the Palm Pre ad is worthless? All the palm.com video is about behind the scenes for this beautiful commercial. NONE of it really shows what the phone can do. The thing is, I know what the Pre can do. Tell people. When you don't show it and only have people dancing in a circle, they assume everything is just hyperbole.

Come on Palm, a simple commercial with a demonstration would be great.
    Good point. I'm no marketing guru (or I wouldn't still be getting paychecks from someone else), but I have been in marketing and media for 30+ years. That said, I'll share one thought that I've found to be THE key to success in marketing ANY product:

First, identify the problem. Second, solve the problem. That's it, plain and simple. This about the thousands of properly executed examples-
    Tide. Kid gets big grass stain on pants. Tide fixes it.

Maaco. Dented car. Maaco fixes it.

McDonalds. It's not food. It's "where is a kid-friendly place to keep them busy and happy and out of my hair?" Solution...Mickey D's

Match.com. Who wants to go through the normal BS to find someone? Nobody....so an online option fixes it.

If there ISN'T a problem, you devise one then fix it.

Here's a creative concept (no charge Palm...I love ya!):

Split screen. One side has a group of 5 kids all playing games and texting on their iPhones. The other side has a busy mom...a multi-tasking college student...a business executive in quick clips as they organize their lives via the multi-tasking abilities of the Pre. All of the Pre owners problems are being solved. The kids...still texting OMG!!

The tag line...."When you realize it takes more than kid stuff to organize your busy life.....Palm Pre".
    Or perhaps a "Tools vs Toys" spin where they show the iPhone as a toy phone or a "See and Say" children's toy. The Pre, on the other hand, is shown as a Swiss Army knife. A serious tool to cut through your busy life.

You get the point. The Monks de Soleil don't cut it. It's pretty, but it's tool cool for the room and makes no "problem/answer" statement. A critical mistake in marketing. The online spots (early) where the man and woman were really using the Pre as it should be used just went through the motions (and in WAY too slow of a pace...they sounded like they were on a handful of Xanax). But...again, they really needed an announcer V/O at the front to set up the problem/conflict so they wouldn't be dependent upon the viewer to "get it" from the action sequences. Simple stuff that's fallen by the wayside with whatever agency they're using. They're NOT solving a problem and unless they do that they won't make any dent in Apple whatsoever. Partially because of what I just explained and also because Apple has brand awareness and image (hip factor) that is FAR and away ahead of Palm.

Palm shouldn't fight that fight. Attack your own area of expertise. Perhaps by using something like the ideas I laid out.

Again, I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I do know how to find them!

Thoughts?

BJ
    2 of my favorite things Palm Pre and Hooters.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmous1 View Post
    Good point. I'm no marketing guru (or I wouldn't still be getting paychecks from someone else), but I have been in marketing and media for 30+ years. That said, I'll share one thought that I've found to be THE key to success in marketing ANY product:

First, identify the problem. Second, solve the problem. That's it, plain and simple. This about the thousands of properly executed examples-
    Tide. Kid gets big grass stain on pants. Tide fixes it.

Maaco. Dented car. Maaco fixes it.

McDonalds. It's not food. It's "where is a kid-friendly place to keep them busy and happy and out of my hair?" Solution...Mickey D's

Match.com. Who wants to go through the normal BS to find someone? Nobody....so an online option fixes it.

If there ISN'T a problem, you devise one then fix it.

Here's a creative concept (no charge Palm...I love ya!):

Split screen. One side has a group of 5 kids all playing games and texting on their iPhones. The other side has a busy mom...a multi-tasking college student...a business executive in quick clips as they organize their lives via the multi-tasking abilities of the Pre. All of the Pre owners problems are being solved. The kids...still texting OMG!!

The tag line...."When you realize it takes more than kid stuff to organize your busy life.....Palm Pre".
    Or perhaps a "Tools vs Toys" spin where they show the iPhone as a toy phone or a "See and Say" children's toy. The Pre, on the other hand, is shown as a Swiss Army knife. A serious tool to cut through your busy life.

You get the point. The Monks de Soleil don't cut it. It's pretty, but it's tool cool for the room and makes no "problem/answer" statement. A critical mistake in marketing. The online spots (early) where the man and woman were really using the Pre as it should be used just went through the motions (and in WAY too slow of a pace...they sounded like they were on a handful of Xanax). But...again, they really needed an announcer V/O at the front to set up the problem/conflict so they wouldn't be dependent upon the viewer to "get it" from the action sequences. Simple stuff that's fallen by the wayside with whatever agency they're using. They're NOT solving a problem and unless they do that they won't make any dent in Apple whatsoever. Partially because of what I just explained and also because Apple has brand awareness and image (hip factor) that is FAR and away ahead of Palm.

Palm shouldn't fight that fight. Attack your own area of expertise. Perhaps by using something like the ideas I laid out.

Again, I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I do know how to find them!

Thoughts?

BJ
    Better yet, or to add to your ad. Have everyone receive a text while they are doing what they are doing. The kids with the iPhones have to exit their game to respond. Not so with the Pre.
    the only person who should be humiliated is him, for not knowing a damn thing about technology in the 21st century.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Yea, I agree, their commercial is pretty uninspiring. They need to show something along the lines of the Palm Pre videos on palm.com. Now that would be a good ad.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I was using my palm pre and my friend, from across the room, asked to see it. She looked at and said 'oh it's just an iphone copy'. She uses an iphone and personally I think she would give a BJ to Steve Jobs just to have him bless her iphone.

There are millions of competing products in the market today. A chevy camaro isn't a pontiac firebird copy- they are competitiors. Apple didn't invent the smartphone market- certainly they are a big innovator.-but so is palm. Did palm copy some of apple ideas, yup. Did apple copy 10+ years of palm devices- yup. Is apple feverishly working on multitasking, etc- yup. Pretty much every company I know keeps an eye on the competition and tries to counter what they offer- palm does this and so does apple. I just hate ignorance. I hate fan girls even more.

Edit- I love hooters girls the most! I don't want my wings nude but I do want...
  10.    #30  
    One of my best friends is a waitress at Hooters...so she's the main reason why I go there. In the mean time I know everyone else that works there too, but yeah..besides the point.

I still don't know how you can mistake one for the other...but yeah, he looked kinda rednecky...it would have been even funnier if he had one of those yellow and black old school Motorola Nextel flip phones...I think that would have made me point, laugh, and then laugh some more at him!

I show my phone to just about every one of my friends and to my customers as well, and I haven't seen one person yet that hasn't gone away impressed. 3 of my friends already bought a Pre as well.

But I suppose I am going to have to come to terms that not everyone is a phone geek like me that can spot and identify a phone from 10 yards away.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    2 of my favorite things Palm Pre and Hooters.
    Dude...you travel a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    One of my best friends is a waitress at Hooters...so she's the main reason why I go there. In the mean time I know everyone else that works there too, but yeah..besides the point.

I still don't know how you can mistake one for the other...but yeah, he looked kinda rednecky...it would have been even funnier if he had one of those yellow and black old school Motorola Nextel flip phones...I think that would have made me point, laugh, and then laugh some more at him!

I show my phone to just about every one of my friends and to my customers as well, and I haven't seen one person yet that hasn't gone away impressed. 3 of my friends already bought a Pre as well.

But I suppose I am going to have to come to terms that not everyone is a phone geek like me that can spot and identify a phone from 10 yards away.
    You sure got the "geek" part right. Showing everyone your phone, as if they care. IT'S JUST A PHONE.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I'm assuming everyone has seen the youtube home page. Palm has a pretty impressive presence there!
    I'd like a commercial similar to the video you get when you first set up the device.

And I have seen that Pre Facebook commercial quite a few times recently, so I think ads are getting out there. The song they got for the commercial is pretty catchy I might pick up the CD.
    A few people have asked me, I just tell them its a Pre, a smarter iPhone.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    For everyone saying mindshare is key, you're absolutely right. From the looks of it, Palm isn't going to have a good number of Pres available for at least a few more months, and it'll be even longer than that before a kink-free hardware and WebOS revision is released. Meaning, if Palm waits to launch an attack until they feel damn good and ready, they'll put themselves in quite the corner.

Just look at the Nintendo Wii; claims of artificial shortage aside, they created a product with mild consumer interest and made everyone want it. In some instances, the lack of supply made it an even more coveted product. Despite the fact that Palm has stated their target is the "fat middle," and they're looking to pull people away from feature phones, it'd be far more effective to attack the iPhone controversially and head-on. It'd only cause more retaliation, getting the Pre out there even more, etc. etc. Perhaps running a similar campaign against RIM/BlackBerry would be smart as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
    For everyone saying mindshare is key, you're absolutely right. From the looks of it, Palm isn't going to have a good number of Pres available for at least a few more months, and it'll be even longer than that before a kink-free hardware and WebOS revision is released. Meaning, if Palm waits to launch an attack until they feel damn good and ready, they'll put themselves in quite the corner.

Just look at the Nintendo Wii; claims of artificial shortage aside, they created a product with mild consumer interest and made everyone want it. In some instances, the lack of supply made it an even more coveted product. Despite the fact that Palm has stated their target is the "fat middle," and they're looking to pull people away from feature phones, it'd be far more effective to attack the iPhone controversially and head-on. It'd only cause more retaliation, getting the Pre out there even more, etc. etc. Perhaps running a similar campaign against RIM/BlackBerry would be smart as well.
    Good gawd man, you write as if phones are at war. THEY ARE ALL JUST CELL PHONES!!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Good gawd man, you write as if phones are at war. THEY ARE ALL JUST CELL PHONES!!
    Ever worked in a competitive corporate environment? That's pretty much what it is if you wanna generate significant revenue.
    Quote Originally Posted by CTFan View Post
    Ever worked in a competitive corporate environment? That's pretty much what it is if you wanna generate significant revenue.
    I'm not talking about the companies!

I'm talking about consumers. Who gives a rat's *** what phone someone else uses? Who but insecure geeks would care what someone else thought of their phone? I don't walk around, concerned what anyone thinks about the phone I happen to be using currently.
    ......... lol @ a guy walking up to your table @ hooters

........ what a lame

........ and YOU are lame for discussing a dayum phone in hooters. wtf..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast