Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    When I was job searching, I changed my then-GrandCentral number to one in the metropolitan area code I was searching, to let them know I was "serious" about moving there.

Now that I have a job not in that area, and it's now Google Voice, they stopped letting people change their numbers.
    I would never ever use Google voice. Google provides this service in return for your privacy. Sorry but that isn't a deal I will make.

From scanning your email, to keeping your search record Google does not value privacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    I would never ever use Google voice. Google provides this service in return for your privacy. Sorry but that isn't a deal I will make.

From scanning your email, to keeping your search record Google does not value privacy.

I don't value it all that much either, so it's all good. I'm not doing anything that I would care about anyone else seeing at this point, so it's a good service. I can use it to give people at work that I don't want having my personal number. And you can block numbers really easily. the transcribed voicemail feature is pretty neat, if not all that accurate.
    What if you have Pick3 and assign one of those to your google number? I thought it was your google number who calls you when someone dials it, so free incoming calls?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Just a heads up for those interested. I registered for notification from Grand Central a LONG time ago, and heard nothing. I re-entered my info today @ Google Voice after reading this thread, and received an invite a half hour ago. I imagine it's open again for all.
    Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by teranenrique View Post
    What if you have Pick3 and assign one of those to your google number? I thought it was your google number who calls you when someone dials it, so free incoming calls?
    You get the choice whether to see your google number or whoever it is on the caller id. I'm not sure if that affects it or not, but yes, it is technically the Google number that calls you.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    been using it for years GC and GV great service for incoming out going international calls, plus having 3 cell phones it calls and texts all lines.

Also it transcibes voicemail messages and sends them via email (not perfect but good enough)

AND ITS FREE!!!

To get somewhat $5 unlimited calling get the "sprint to home" service one number, use your GV number

But a dialer is needed for the PRE, i have been using Idialer on my Treo pro
    I got my invite tonight oddly enough gmail added it to my spam folder. If I get the 3 favorite number deal and add my google voice number I wont get charged .20 per min for forwarding correct?

If I add google voice # ,pause,2,pause, number from phonebook. Then I could have unlimited talk am I off with this?

I have it set up now to snd me a text if someone leaves me a voicemail on my google voice account.

The way I understand it I have to call sprint and have them activate forwarding and if anyone calls my gvoice number and leaves a vmail I wont get charged. I called sprint but they have no idea.
    Apparently you used to be able to change your voice mail number to another third party voice mail service. I just got off the phone with tech support and they told me that six months ago this was possible, but now all the techs are locked out from this setting.

This means that call forwarding (at $0.20/min) is the only option to use Google Voice.

I call retentions and they said they could not waive this charge since it would be different every month depending on how many people called my voice mail.

I think this is done for free on the other carriers .... damn ....
    This means that call forwarding (at $0.20/min) is the only option to use Google Voice.
    I don't understand why everyone keeps mentioning the call forwarding for Google Voice. With Google Voice they call your Google Voice number not your cell number and Google Voice rings your cell or other numbers that you want to have ring. With Youmail, you use call forwarding.

Youmail was totally awesome and allowed different messages for different people who originally called your cellphone, but your cellphone wasn't answered and the call went to voice mail. It actually forwarded a call from your cellphone to another number. Google Voice doesn't work that way, but I guess you could set it up with similar to the set-up for youmail.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I don't understand why everyone keeps mentioning the call forwarding for Google Voice. With Google Voice they call your Google Voice number not your cell number and Google Voice rings your cell or other numbers that you want to have ring. With Youmail, you use call forwarding.
    Although I have a separate number from Google Voice, I would like to keep my current cell number. I've had the same number for many years and desire a forwarding solution so that people with my old number can be managed via GV. There are rumors of porting, but that won't be soon.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I am really confused by this service. Is the biggest feature phone number privacy? I would hesitate to turn all my business contacts over to a third party phone service that I am not paying for. It seems if google pulled the plug on this or decided to start charging fee's, that could be detrimental for your business. The voice mail to text feature sounds nice, though. Maybe Palm could integrate this into the Pre as a unique feature that is different than the iPhone visual VM.

I do get the bar pick up use tho! ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post

Youmail was totally awesome and allowed different messages for different people who originally called your cellphone, but your cellphone wasn't answered and the call went to voice mail. It actually forwarded a call from your cellphone to another number. Google Voice doesn't work that way, but I guess you could set it up with similar to the set-up for youmail.
    Thank you for this info, I called sprint and they had no idea. Everyone wanting visual voicemail this is even better, you can have the vmail transcribed to a text or email and see who called and what they said, then log on and check it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123