Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    So I flip flop every day on whether I'm keeping my Pre or not. There's so many great things about it, but then again, there's so many horrible things as well.

Tonight I'm feeling like switching. I really want Sprint as my network because of their Simply Everything plan.

I guess my options are the HTC Touch Pro, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Snap(??), Blackberry 8830, or Samsung Ace.

Here's what I'm missing on the Pre:
    • A navigator that can avoid Toll Roads (I know Sprint's BB Pearl can).
    • Bluetooth file transfer.
    • Office doc editing (included free w/ phone).
    • memory card slot (not that important, but still).
    • Robust app availablility.
    • Tethering.
    • Video recording.
    • Voice Dialing.

Here's what I don't want to give up on the Pre:
    • 3.5mm jack use while charging.
    • Pandora.
    • Google Maps.
    • Camera flash.
    • Decent photos.
    • Physical keyboard.
    • Threaded text messaging.
    • Usable web browser.
    • EVDO rev A.
    • WiFi
    • MMS

What can I do now?

Alternatively, does anyone have an idea of how I could keep my phone number and wait for the Blackberry Tour to come out without wasting too much cash (ie get a cheap phone w/ no contract to hold me over)?

Thanks for your help, this is a very selfish thread.

*edit*added voice command and mms to the lists.
    Last edited by mrolesen; 06/26/2009 at 01:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    well for google maps, keyboard, theaded sms, web browser and mms the palm pro and touch can take care of that...i also go back and forth between keeping the pre...i also would like tethering, remider alerts and apps...i have both the pre and an iphone...i just dont wanna wait 6 or so months for the gsm pre...but i really like my pre...ohh and reception on the pre is killing me...if that gets better then i would consider keeping it...
    For what you want, it's going to have to be either the HTC TP or the Treo Pro. Blackberries don't have threaded text messaging and no MMS with Sprint. The browsing on blackberries is pretty crappy, IMO, and with the availability of browsers for Winmo, you're bound to find one you like. There are tons and tons of apps available for Windows mobile.

I, frankly, loved my HTC TP, but wanted to try WebOS. So far, I'm loving it. It's a little easier to use and the UI is lovely. I would give the edge on browsing to the Pre, and I love the 3.5 jack. You need an adapter to use regular headphones with the TP. The TP has everything you're missing and everything you don't want to give up (with the exception of the 3.5 jack). If you do go that route, check out PPCGeeks.com. They have awesome stuff over there. They have a Pandora app that works. From what you say you want, the TP or the Treo Pro would probably be good choices.
    Touch pro
    The only bad thing I found with the touch pro is it is terrivly slow at most things. Sprint's phone line up is pretty ****ty with the exception of the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The only bad thing I found with the touch pro is it is terrivly slow at most things. Sprint's phone line up is pretty ****ty with the exception of the pre.
    My TP was pretty damn snappy...but I did have a custom ROM on it. That's onr thing I miss about Winmo-you can do almost anything with that software.
    Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mrolesen View Post
    So I flip flop every day on whether I'm keeping my Pre or not. There's so many great things about it, but then again, there's so many horrible things as well.

Tonight I'm feeling like switching. I really want Sprint as my network because of their Simply Everything plan.

I guess my options are the HTC Touch Pro, Palm Treo Pro, HTC Snap(??), Blackberry 8830, or Samsung Ace.

Here's what I'm missing on the Pre:
    • A navigator that can avoid Toll Roads (I know Sprint's BB Pearl can).
    • Bluetooth file transfer.
    • Office doc editing (included free w/ phone).
    • memory card slot (not that important, but still).
    • Robust app availablility.
    • Tethering.
    • Video recording.
    • Voice Dialing.

Here's what I don't want to give up on the Pre:
    • 3.5mm jack use while charging.
    • Pandora.
    • Google Maps.
    • Camera flash.
    • Decent photos.
    • Physical keyboard.
    • Threaded text messaging.
    • Usable web browser.
    • EVDO rev A.
    • WiFi
    • MMS

What can I do now?

Alternatively, does anyone have an idea of how I could keep my phone number and wait for the Blackberry Tour to come out without wasting too much cash (ie get a cheap phone w/ no contract to hold me over)?

Thanks for your help, this is a very selfish thread.

*edit*added voice command and mms to the lists.
    If you don't mind waiting a little longer, wait till the Windows Mobile 6.5 devices come out, which I think may be this summer. There are apps for windows mobile which allow wifi internet teathering. Basically it turns your phone into a wifi hotspot. Also the new browser on it will be very poweful and can render flash animation as well as silverlight right in the browser. And with the windows mobile you have access to quite a lot of applications already available for the device. On the other hand if you don't want to wait a month or two for Windows Mobile 6.5 devices to come out, then I supposed the options the other people reccomended sound like a pretty decent alternative.
    You can get 6.5 now if you download custom roms. I had it for over a month.
  10. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    imo even a tp running custom 6.5 doesnt compare to the pre
    i came from one and woudlnt dream of looking back..there really isnt an alernative to the pre IMO unless you go blackberry come aug
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    First off, thanks for the useful information!

I am willing to wait, but don't know how to purchase an upcoming phone with a new contract discount. If I return my Pre and cancel my contract my phone number will be lost unless I have another phone ready to go.. Since I don't have any back up phones I expect I'd have to spend a significant dollar amount to get one (which defeats the whole purpose). Thus, I feel a little trapped and forced to make a move now.

My next question is about the TP or Treo Pro running winmo 6.5: Do those phones benefit from the browser running flash and silverlight? That sounds fantastic! Do those phones have this same awesome rev A speed the Pre has?

Also, do these winmo phones let you copy/paste from the browser, pdfs, etc?

What about call quality? My friend had an older winmo phone and it used to have rediciulous interference near computers and cars.

Once I get home I'm gonna check that site you recommended for winmo mods and apps.

Btw, I'm leaning towards the TP. Other than the dongle free 3.5mm jack, what advantage does the Treo Pro have?
    Last edited by mrolesen; 06/26/2009 at 03:00 AM.
    Yes, they have rev a speeds and you can download all the newest browsers from winmo on to them. Winmo phones have the best cut/paste functionalityof any phones I have used- though I don't know for sure if you can copy/paste from pdf. The call quality on my tp was pretty good, I never had any interference issues...sounds like your friend may have had a gsm phone, that technology has some interference issues with other electronics.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Yeah, it was GSM: at&t. I didn't know that was a downside of GSM, that makes me feel a lot better! I've been so sad about CDMA's limited conference calling, and now I hear they can use data and voice at the same time. For Sprint's pricing, I'll deal with those limitations. Feeling safer from interference is a nice morale boost.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I had a Touch Diamond, and I really enjoyed it (Touch Pro in your case for recommendation).

The thing is, if you really want to make the phone great you need to tinker. A lot. The drawback is also a resistive touch screen. Having to apply pressure vs just touching it, really put me off. Also memory management is an issue, you'll find that you actually run out of memory over time, and Winmo is not all that great at preserving CPU cycles. So you want to close your apps because it will drain the battery.

However, web browsing using Opera was a treat, and it works pretty good. If you have to be on Sprint, web browsing on the TP is probably your next best bet.
    Now you can mms with BB before the pre I had a BB8330 and for about 2 months back you can MMS.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Cool. Yeah, I don't think I can make due w/o some real keys, and from what I can tell, the Diamond isn't significantly smaller than the TP.

I don't mind tinkering or power cycling. I've been closing my apps on the Pre out of habbit anyway. I've been working on getting myself to leave apps open, but it's not natural to me. Hrm, I will really miss the close app gesture and the delete gesture. Something about the Pre's sideswipe delete really please me; it's such a pompous gesture of dismissal! Hahah!

I'm hoping the keyboard will let me avoid touching the screen at times when I'm unable to use the stylus. That's how I used my LG Voyager (no stylus though).

I'm sure I could find this out with some googling, but now I wanna know more about MS Office on the TP and Treo Pro. Do they include One Note? You can edit everything without buying upgrades, right? Was it both the TP and TP2, or just the TP2 that can connect to a projector using a dongle? I think it must have been the TP2's enormous resolution that allows that feature.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joselito1976 View Post
    Now you can mms with BB before the pre I had a BB8330 and for about 2 months back you can MMS.
    Good to know, thanks.

I have a feeling the BB's browser would just end up frustrating me as much as my old LG Voyager's. The Tour's browser sounds pretty nice, but I don't think I can wait till some time in Fall for it.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrolesen View Post
    Good to know, thanks.

I have a feeling the BB's browser would just end up frustrating me as much as my old LG Voyager's. The Tour's browser sounds pretty nice, but I don't think I can wait till some time in Fall for it.
    Honestly, and this is just my personal opinion...every mobile browser except Pre's and iPhone/iPod Touch just doesn't seem usable to me. I have tried em all, and hated em all except the webkit based browsers.

However, the closest was Opera Mobile on the touch diamond, it's just that the OS/hardware combo doesn't make it fluid enough to work well. It's functional, but it isn't smooth, it's jerky, and zooming is a hassle.

If it works for you though, great.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    For some reason I feel this thread should be moved.....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Buy a cheap used phone off ebay if you want something temporary. But you'd better check with Sprint about getting a discount on another phone in a few months. I wouldn't assume that's going to happen even if you do return the Pre.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast