Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Maybe you all can ease some of my concerns. I am worried that the Palm Pre won't have enough longevity to last the 2 year contract and that developers may not develop for the Pre because they have already chosen to development for the iPhone. Maybe this forum can ease my concerns about switching to Pre. Also anyone in Chicagoland area how is the Sprint service?
    There will be many developers, including myself, who will develop apps for the Pre. WebOS makes it a lot easier than the iPhone to develop apps, so there is a lot of potential for the Pre to have more developers than the iPhone.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    I have been an iPhone owner since day one. I was tired of getting bent over by AT&T with their outrageously high cost plans. The service here in AZ really is horrible as well.

I purchased the Pre and have been happy with it. I love the multitasking and feel of the OS in general.

However, I have had some time with the Pre and have a few concerns about longevity in its current form now as well.

Looking into the future, it seem that Palm will not allow the developers to take advantage of the 3D hardware. This is a real shame and a real bummer for gamers and casual gamers alike. Relying on Flash and its web games would really blow.

Also, I have questions about Web OS being inherently slow. If not, it still may take more juice than the current hardware can offer. Obviously, we will have to wait and find out. If we look back at iPhone 1.0 vs 2.0, the OS did not see a substantial boost in speed unless the actually upgraded the device.

So... What to do.. I don't know. The Pre is great, the iPhone 3G S is great too. I know there are several people out there that would never own an iphone because they don't want to feel like a lemming. I personally find both devices awesome. If you have good AT&T service in your area and don't need multiple iphones on your plan, just stick with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    WebOS makes it a lot easier than the iPhone to develop apps
    How so? Do you have any details on their SDK because I've been waiting for them.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Very true the iphone did not see a significant increase in speed until upgraded hardware so this could be the case with the Pre. It sucks because I want features of both phones to be on one Phone. The iPhone does some things right and the Pre does alot of things right as well. Will Flash support ever come to the iPhone like it will to the Pre later this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmaine View Post
    How so? Do you have any details on their SDK because I've been waiting for them.
    WebOS uses web standards for development. The iPhone SDK is Obj-C with cocoa-like frameworks.

If you can create your own webpage, you can essentially write your own Pre apps. However, Obj-C and the iPhone SDK requires a lot of knowledge about Object-Oriented-Programming, Threading, Memory management, Cocoa framework, and graphics programming if you want to do any games.

I have developed apps for the iPhone, and trust me, it's a complicated beast. Debugging is a pain, and development time is slow.

The Pre, on the other hand, is very quick to develop for, considering you don't have to worry about a lot of the issues you have to worry about with the iPhone. The apps from the start may not be as powerful or polished as some of the newer iPhone apps, but the first batch of iPhone apps were pretty weak as well. And as time goes on, Palm will open up the SDK to allow for increased access and performance.

WebOS also will take time to optimize. There is a lot of things Palm can to do increase performance on our current devices, such as CPU scaling (this is an awesome feature waiting to be exploited by Palm), and other optimization techniques.

The future for WebOS and the Pre look very bright. Only time will tell if Palm steps up to the plate and knocks WebOS out of the park.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Im not out to bash the Pre and think its a fantastic device. Flash would/will slow down devices further. I just don't see it being that efficient allowing people to do what the want with it.

I am impressed with the amount of attention Palm is giving the Pre through its updates and hope they get things ironed out.

THE APP STORE IS EVERYTHING! Those that have never owned and iPhone have no idea how that shifted the platform into its current untouchable position.

If Palm neuters their SDK and makes games (3D ones like on the iphone) impossible, it will just be another smartphone that came and went.
    Quote Originally Posted by maven1975 View Post
    Looking into the future, it seem that Palm will not allow the developers to take advantage of the 3D hardware. This is a real shame and a real bummer for gamers and casual gamers alike. Relying on Flash and its web games would really blow.
    I really have no idea where you get this idea. What Palm has said about gaming so far supports the idea that they want the Pre to be a decent gaming platform and that opening up the platform is a long-term goal.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by pshows View Post
    Maybe you all can ease some of my concerns. I am worried that the Palm Pre won't have enough longevity to last the 2 year contract and that developers may not develop for the Pre because they have already chosen to development for the iPhone. Maybe this forum can ease my concerns about switching to Pre. Also anyone in Chicagoland area how is the Sprint service?
    Hello - I am from chicago (I work in the loop at clark and madison, live on the northwest side around harlem and grand, spend a lot of time on the northside and in the north burbs) and actually just switched to Sprint and the Pre from an iPhone. I really like the phone and definitely feel strong that the app. support will be here soon enough.

I love Sprints service so far, coverage is excellent, 3G data flies, and voice quality in incredible. I left he iPhone and AT&T because of service (I would drop 9-10 calls a day and the data was very, very slow for me) - I have dropped 3 calls when the Pre and those were in elevators and the train station (places where you should drop calls not sitting in my living room).

So overall I am pleased and don't regret my decision - I do miss my iPhone but in the end it was worth nothing if I couldn't use it and communicate with it.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Sounds like you are in the same of chicago as me and you are having good service...might give it a try just worried about limited development of software and build quality.
    I have a Pre and an iPhone. My friends think I am a tard for having both. But they both a great at different things. I use Google voice to send calls to both phones and bring the phone that suits my day the best.

Work = Pre
    Baseball game = iPhone
    Airplane = iPhone
    Text wars = Pre
    Tether hack = iPhone

etc... I hope the Pre comes around and gets me the apps I need and the ability to scale it way down to save battery life. At that point I will turn my iPhone into a iTouch'ish and live on the Pre.

More updates please PALM!!